AC Port Locator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Can someone help me out and post a pic of an OEM low AC port locator. Christine was retro a few years ago to R134A and

needs a recharge.

I picked up AC Pro recharge, but their site doesn't show it on a Mustang that old.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fittings are idiot proof so you cannot hook to wrong one. You should put new charge in with the leak detector in it. Will show up with a black light where the leak is. Go to youtube there should be a video showing also. If the PO did not put the adapter on for the new refrigerant the connection will not fit the old R-12 connection either. I cannot tell you off the top of my head only charged mine once over a year ago.

I think the fittings are idiot proof so you cannot hook to wrong one. You should put new charge in with the leak detector in it. Will show up with a black light where the leak is. Go to youtube there should be a video showing also. If the PO did not put the adapter on for the new refrigerant the connection will not fit the old R-12 connection either. I cannot tell you off the top of my head only charged mine once over a year ago.
Mine was converted to the new 134a 3 years ago, so it should have the correct nipple. Just need to find it.

I'm starting to believe that maybe my AC isn't factory.

Looking at the pics the black cap once off does accept the adapter from  the ACprocold kit.  But that metal tube goes

to a condenser/radiator in front of the stang.  Both circled in white.

Just don't want assume anything.

Thoughts???

The low side tap should be in the line from the evaporator (inside the car) returning to the compressor. See the diagram below. Follow the lines in your set up to determine. Just a heads up, those one side AC charge kits at the parts store are not great. Very easy to overcharge and ruin your system. I prefer to use an actual set of AC gauges and take my readings from both the high and low side so I can calc the diff properly.

While there is a hose coming from the firewall to the compressor, there is no ac port on the hose.

Mine looks like the low side metal tube is from the compressor to the condenser (top) and out the bottom to the receiver dryer and then back to the firewall.

Plus the only port the ACPro hooks up to is the black cap once removed.

Here are two pics with a white line showing below.

1) Shows the metal tube from the condenser which connects to a black hose.

2) Black hose which goes to the compressor (black cap is the only port that the ACpro connects to).

In your pic. The line coming out of the compressor with the red cap on the service port. Where does that go? Back to firewall? If back to firewall is it the line that does not go through the suction valve?

In your pic. The line coming out of the compressor with the red cap on the service port. Where does that go? Back to firewall? If back to firewall is it the line that does not go through the suction valve?
The red cap hose goes back to the firewall with a red cover on it. Pulled the red cover off (no port), but sort of a coil inside and there was something like felt inside the red cover.

OK. It appears that the system has been modified in several areas. Hard to see in the pics but is there a second line coming from the firewall under the one pictured? the device at the firewall with the cap on it is the expansion or suction valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you hook up the AC charger (I assume it has one of the color coded dummy gauges on it) while the AC and car is running what does the gauge read?

if you hook up the AC charger (I assume it has one of the color coded dummy gauges on it) while the AC and car is running what does the gauge read?
That I haven't done yet. But will try tomorrow and I agree, the AC system has been modified.

I reached out to the 2nd owner (1987-1998) and waiting to hear what he has to say.

Sounds good. If you can get a pic of the gauge reading when hooked up that would be helpful or even a video, assuming there is enough charge that the compressor is still kicking in.

Back