What are your guys thoughts on the new convex sport mirror assy

Posted an ad about this new mirror assembly a few weeks ago.

Thought these would spark some interest.

Complete new inner swivel assemble with convex glass.

Looking for some feedback

?url=www.ohiomustang.com%2Fstore%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2FFM-BM006C_tn.jpg

FM-BM006C_BACK.jpg

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Convex," not "Concave."  Meaning, it'll offer a more panoramic view - by bending the surface outward slightly, it'll cover more area for viewing.  Much like those little round convex mirrors people used to put on their truck mirrors back in the '70s & '80s.

So, it'll pretty much make everybody look fat.  :whistling:

I like it!  I'm thinking I'll be getting one sooner than later - especially, since the ball & socket in my passenger mirror seems to have lost it's tension and pretty much just flops downward at the first bump in the road.

I know you don't have control over this, but what I'd really like to see is a complete set of dashboard switch bezels (lights, wipers, lighter) like the ones available for the '70 models. A new 'Park' light would be awesome, too. Those are pretty much the only things that don't look new on my dash, thanks to you having pretty much everything else I needed. I mean, the 'Lights' bezel opening is the same shape as the 'Wipers' bezel opening... why can't they just make one using the same tooling as the wiper bezel that just says 'LIGHTS' in the label area? Still waiting... ;)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I installed just the mirror itself by breaking off the existing one and gluing in the curved one. It makes for a much safer ride in traffic. i love it.

I forget where I got it, I think it was recommended here though.

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

I thought I saw these mirrors in the NPD catalog and when I tried to order one (I think they ran around $16) they said they were out. That was a while ago. How much do you sell them for Don? Thanks!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

I have the convex glass already, but the swivel assembly on mine is junk.  I just ordered one from OMS at $74.95 (keep in mind, it's not just the glass - it comes with the swivel, glass base/backing, etc).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

75 bucks?! Nothing's too expensive for my car LOL but I have to think about that one! I am very close of having completed my parts search, both original and aftermarket. Rest of my budget haha is for body work, paint and a new top of course!

Don,

Is it the same size as the OEM ? I put the replacement from West coast cougar in mine and it fit well a worked great, but I believe it should be made larger like the driver mirror glass.

Thanks, Jay

excellent info guys. never looked for a convex but i will now. the fastback has major blind spot on the pass side.

It's the same size as OEM but they should've made it same size as driver size mirror glass. Passenger being smaller looks just weird!

75 bucks?! Nothing's too expensive for my car LOL but I have to think about that one! I am very close of having completed my parts search, both original and aftermarket. Rest of my budget haha is for body work, paint and a new top of course!

The one that is JUST the replacement glass is 21.95 including shipping - it is listed on the web site too.

This one has the glass, bracket and swivel assembly - it is more geared to replace the loose swivel assembly

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

i bought just the mirror quite a few years ago. however it was one of the best upgrades for the car next to converting the interior lights to LED.

i recommend anyone that drives their car installs it.

I wonder why there would such a difference in price? On page 321 in NPD catalog item #17722 glass assembly for racing style mirror, RH side marked "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear". 17722-3B $14.95 When I called them they said that this part has been around for 3 years but they were out. No offense Don!

Two different products. The one from NPD is just the piece of glass/mirror. The one from Don is the assembly behind the glass/mirror, plus the glass/convex mirror. In other words Don's cures the mirror from flopping when you hit a bump.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I just ordered one, among other things.

I wonder why there would such a difference in price? On page 321 in NPD catalog item #17722 glass assembly for racing style mirror, RH side marked "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear". 17722-3B $14.95 When I called them they said that this part has been around for 3 years but they were out. No offense Don!

Terry the difference is you are comparing two different parts

I answered you before on this

As for the plain just glass mirror you called NPD about you better not buy one it is made by Scott Drake and I have been selling them for two or three years too

The one that is JUST the replacement glass is 21.95 including shipping - it is listed on the web site too.

This one has the glass, bracket and swivel assembly - it is more geared to replace the loose swivel assembly

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

Alright Don, thank you! I will think about it.

Terry, sorry not trying to push you to buy anything.

You questioned why the big price difference 74.95 between this new product and the one you found at NPD  for 15.00 - a couple of times.

I just wanted to be clear this is a new product - this is the complete inside assembly of the mirror.

If your swivel is good ... just buy the glass only, again I sell that too 21.95 shipped

If your mirror flops around, then you might want to consider the complete assembly with glass 74.95

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

Guys, have you NOT seen my post on how I designed and ENLARGED the right side mirror to CONVEX!! I did the same basic thing to the drivers one, but flat of course.

I submitted sketches with dimensions and a detailed account of how to make it. My mirror is a full 1/2" wider and a bit taller than the factory one or that stupidly small SD POS. A person may need to buy an repop base if the one on the car is too worn, but there's a way to fix that too.

How I came up with this? I wasted my money on a SD version, only to realize it was no where near going to give me full view of a far right lane when on a freeway when in the center lane at 70 mph.

Top pic is convex mirror installed, but I was looking at dimension variability in this shot.

#2 is the back on the backer plate.

Need more info, please ask or pm me. I'm not looking for cudo's, just offering a solution.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I repaired mine myself. Somewhere on the internet, there was a how-to on fixing the limp mirror deal. It requires breaking ( yes, breaking, it's o.k. ) the old glass away from the backing to access the swivel mechanism and three small rivet type posts are ground flat to remove the ball retainer, which is then tapped flatter to re-new the tension on the pivot ball. Three small screws replace the peened over posts to hold the ball tension plate on That whole process took less than an hour, and then my local glass shop made a new mirror glass to shape , ground beveled edges and all, and glued it in place for cheap. It was painless to do and it's been perfect for the last 4 years so far. I'm so glad I found that tutorial on line.

I repaired  mine myself. Somewhere on the internet, there was a how-to on fixing the limp mirror deal. It requires breaking ( yes, breaking, it's o.k. ) the old glass away from the backing to access the swivel mechanism  and three small rivet type posts are ground flat to remove the ball retainer, which is then tapped flatter to re-new the tension on the pivot ball. Three small screws replace the peened over posts to hold the ball tension plate on That whole process took less than an hour, and then my local glass shop made a new mirror glass to shape , ground beveled edges and all, and glued it in place for cheap. It was painless to do and it's been perfect for the last 4 years so far. I'm so glad I found that tutorial on line.

I did similar long ago. There were few threads on this, and strangely not many were able to find a glass shop able or even wanting to cut the glass, do the edge etc...

If you are on US soil, 75 for everything sounds pretty fair to me.

73 modified Grande 351C. Almost done. 

71 429CJ. In progress

Was that tutorial on West Coast Classic Cougar?

I believe so. I took at look at that as well.

I fixed my limp mirror (I said limp mirror!) with a dob of good 'ol Goop. Even cheaper, but took 24 hrs to cure. It can be seen in my pic of base in prev. post. Actually, this was just intended as a quick fix for now, but it's held up for 2 years now, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... again.

In comparison, my conversion cost me about 60 bucks Can. Had to buy an expensive replacement mirror and then get it cut. Still a good deal for me though.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!