Hurricanes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71 gbvert

Reaction score
My Car
Bought it in 1986. Base model convertible with a 302 3spd.
To all our friends in the SE US, please take care in light of the incoming hurricane Florence. Hopefully the next two right behind that one - Isaac and Helene - will head out to the North Atlantic.

AMEN for all of our southeast coastal members. Noticed in another forum that folks were offering storage if they had it for anyone who may be impacted to bring their car. I am just east of Memphis, but if needed I can offer up some enclosed spots I have to store up to 3 cars (temporarily). If others are closer to the southeast I also ask that you see if you can offer something up. Plenty of hotels in this area as well so you could drop the car here and stay close. Everyone be safe!

Heacock Insurance is providing the following advice to customers:

Dear Valued Customer,

With the impending Hurricane Florence in the Atlantic Ocean, I encourage you to take immediate steps to prepare for the high winds and torrential rain that has been predicted to accompany this dangerous storm. Although the final path has yet to be determined, now is the time to make plans.

If you feel your current storage location is not adequate to protect your car, we encourage you to seek an alternate location. One solution is an elevated parking garage where you can park your car in a central space. This will keep it safe from the rising waters while protecting your car from the rain.

Heacock Classic will also provide up to $250 in expense reimbursement for costs you may incur to move and protect your car.

For your personal safety, remember to never drive through flooded roads. Although you may think it�s safe, roads can become washed out and dangerous very quickly.

If you do have to report a claim, rest assured our claims department will be available 24 hours a day to respond to your needs.

Please feel free to contact me or one of the Heacock Classic team members if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Jim Kruse

Director, Heacock Classic

Last year Irma was heading right for us, A few of my car buddies and I took our cars to Tampa International Airport. Parked up on middle of the 4th level for 3 days. Built like a bomb shelter and no way it would flood. 24 hour security for 12 bucks a day. Cars barely got dirty.

I've been twice in the US. First time was in august 1983, Texas, I saw what was an Hurricane.

Take care.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words, and it shows how wonderful this 7173 community really is.

I'm an hour away from Myrtle Beach and fortunately im on high ground, and everything is insured.

If you lived here long enough you know how to prepare, and the generator will keep the beer ice cold.

Please keep all the folks on the coast in SC, NC, VA in your prayers, this will be our Katrina.

HVY MTL

I live in the Mountains of North Carolina but we still get lots of rain and wind from the hurricanes. I sat on my screened porch one night during one of the severe ones maybe 10 or 12 years back. I could hear the trees breaking and falling all around. The next morning I had to get to town to take care of some business and leave for Africa the next day. Every road I went down had trees across them some over 3' in diameter. For you metric guys about a meter in dia., lol. I did finally get to town and back but lots of damage.

I am one of those people that does not have insurance on home or the garage so I just cross my fingers.

They say there could be 20" of rain also and with the ground already wet the trees will for sure blow down.

Just watched this link about florence... that's some nasty scary beast.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-10-hurricane-florence-forecast-us-east-coast

[For you metric guys about a meter in dia]

You did not continue for the conversion of the 20'' of water. I could convert inches to cm

but what's the measure? 20 inches per square area of what?

edit:As its not a volume.

found that in us rainfall measure 1 inch of rainfall equals 4.7 gallons of water per square yard

That's 324 liters per square meter. Really scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salut Fabrice,

When I read 20"naturally I was thinking about half a meter per square meter.

Salut Fabrice,

When I read 20"naturally I was thinking about half a meter per square meter.
yes me too, 50.8 cm, but then wondered what would be the collecting area to fill the tube.

That you think 1/2 cubic meter of water or bits less, that's still a hell lot of water. 

The next question is then how much time to fill it. So far sources found say its per hour unless a time scale is specified.

This adds even more perspective about what this monster is capable of.

i got notice from my insc company (american collectors) and they'll pay for transportation and storage... i sure didn't see that coming.. so if u have american i guess u got it too.

i don't need to move car...

please all this mess go away for i'm leaving for wildwood nj next thursday for boardwalk show...

LOL, I did confuse you on the amount of rain for sure.

They look at it as one inch of rain is covering the whole surface of the ground with an inch of water. We have had exceptional amounts of rain this year. So much that many farmers did not even get to plant. Was never dry enough to plow and plant.

It has rained over 12 inches in one hour here before. That caused land slides and whole mountain sides just sliding off. One road in my area has been under repair since May and is still not 100%.

I had asked my friend if she wanted me to go to Myrtle Beach and board up her place there, one city block from beach. She said no that it was going north of there. Today they now say it is changing direction and will probably hit Myrtle Beach head on. This storm is moving so slow 15 to 17 miles per hour. That is why the rain fall will be so much it just stays put. So she will probably loose her home there with no windows boarded up the over 100 mph winds will blow out the windows and explode the walls.

She also has a condo at Hilton Head Island but it is on 4 th. floor on opposite side of the ocean so more protected.

If you have ever put your hand out the car window doing over 100 mph you know the force that will be hitting all the buildings. The torrential rains also add to the destruction. One breaks causing more to break and it is one huge mess. The last time one hit where her house was they gave owners two weeks to get what they wanted and brought in bull dozers and just piled it all up and hauled it off. Most rebuilt with the house on stilts to get above the storm surge but hers is not.

I am told we are running out of gasoline here due to people stocking up. Some were without power for 11 days during bad storm before. I have a generator but if no gas does not do much. I will head out to see what I can find. 10 gallons will last several days with just running off and on to keep refrigerator cold. I have a camper also so can use gas stove in there.

I have no insurance at all so I hope no trees fall on the house or garage. I cut all the trees near the garage but neighbor has one that could hit if it falls. No insurance company will write a policy when a storm is coming. I have never had much luck from insurance. Only claim on home made they tore the house up left and did not pay to fix it. Never got a good answer out of them and no money so why have it.

My older brother lives in Jacksonville, NC - about a 1/4 mile from one of the rivers feeding the bay there. Needless to say, it looks like it's going to be a direct hit on his area. He's getting the F out of Dodge and heading inland. Hopefully he has a house to come back to.

Good luck everyone. I hope things go OK for you, David.

I hear you on insurance. We had a house burn in 1987, while we were at the lake. It was a struggle to get the insurance to pay, we finally wound up in arbitration, before going to court. The arbitrator ruled in our favor, and we got enough to pay for a new house and belongings, but it took a year. They know they have time on their side, and try to out-wait you. We had two small rentals and moved one of the renters out, and lived in the rental while fighting with them.

All we have to worry about here, on the west coast, is the "Big One" (earthquake). But they just happen every century or two, not an annual possibility. And, I can't forget, an occasional forest fire.

Back