trying to buy car in Tennessee buyer thinks i am scammer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1

Hello All

i am trying to buy a 73 from tennessee but buyer wont give me bank details to pay him and arrange shippment

is there any car dealer / car finder middle men who could help .

Thanks Nige

Hello All

i am trying to buy a 73 from tennessee but buyer won't give me bank details to pay him and arrange shippment

is there any car dealer / car finder middle men who could help .

Thanks Nige
Might be worth the price of a plane ticket and a rental car to get it sorted out.

Maybe try to see if Gateway Classic Cars will help. They are a consignment dealer and are experienced with international buyers but probably costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in western NC close to Tenn. Where is the car located.

I also caution you on sending any money without someone actually viewing the car. Pictures do not show true condition of a car.

Our FBI has been trying to catch some internet car thieves here. They have taken over $25,000,000 from buyers that got nothing and no money has been returned.

The car can be shipped a couple of ways. As a drive on or in a container. If you are going to include additional parts I would use container. It also keeps anyone from taking any pieces off.

I got my nephew in the business of importing cars to the U.S. from Japan couple years ago. We have a customs office about 50 miles away because of the BMW plant here. That makes it easier.

YOU DO NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE DO A HANDS ON INSPECTION OF THE CAR OR YOU MIGHT HAVE A BIG PILE OF RUST COVERED BY A THIN COAT OF SHINY PAINT.

We have huge storm coming in to North Carolina and South Carolina this weekend so I cannot leave but can do inspection next week.

What are you looking for specifically and I will keep eyes open lots of Mustangs in the south.

Cheers,

David

I am in western NC close to Tenn. Where is the car located.

I also caution you on sending any money without someone actually viewing the car. Pictures do not show true condition of a car.

Our FBI has been trying to catch some internet car thieves here. They have taken over $25,000,000 from buyers that got nothing and no money has been returned.

The car can be shipped a couple of ways. As a drive on or in a container. If you are going to include additional parts I would use container. It also keeps anyone from taking any pieces off.

I got my nephew in the business of importing cars to the U.S. from Japan couple years ago. We have a customs office about 50 miles away because of the BMW plant here. That makes it easier.

YOU DO NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE DO A HANDS ON INSPECTION OF THE CAR OR YOU MIGHT HAVE A BIG PILE OF RUST COVERED BY A THIN COAT OF SHINY PAINT.

We have huge storm coming in to North Carolina and South Carolina this weekend so I cannot leave but can do inspection next week.

What are you looking for specifically and I will keep eyes open lots of Mustangs in the south.

Cheers,

David
Hi David 

The car is in rossville tennesse 38066

he would not give me his bank details to transfer the money to him and just said no thanks not taking the chance .

Thanks Nige

That is something in today's world I would not suggest doing. Millions of dollars are stolen each year in car scams and home scams. Even had a friend get scammed buying one of her expensive puppies.

It is very common on Craigslist and even Ebay has scams.

For a car purchase you need to go see in person and go to a bank and do the money exchange and get the paperwork notarized. You should have a local DOT Department of Transportation run a check on the VIN# to verify it is not stolen or altered.

I did check on where it is located in the far west part of Tennessee. A very small town with only 664 people there.

It is 514 miles from me and 8 hour drive 16 hours round trip.

Check to see if we have members in that area.

Car theft and scams are two of the biggest in the U.S.A. and world for that matter. The group that took over $24,000,000 was outside the U.S. but posed as being here selling all types of cars some very expensive. When the money was transferred they had a system of people around the U.S. that would go to teller machine and pull money out and send to off shore accounts and it was just gone no way to recover it.

You should plan on several days to do inspection, verify VIN# and do all the paperwork when you do a car. The money can be wire transfer but you need to do at a bank where the person is known and you also need to verify their I.D..

I bought one car off Ebay and did it all sight unseen but did several things to be sure it was real and also used Pay Pal for payment. The last three I drove to get them and two were in Michigan.

These cars are so easy to make look good but be very rusty you need to see in person.

If the VIN# on engine does not match the chassis VIN# a car is usually worth 50% of a numbers matching car. If someone comes along and has the title for the engine in your car they can take it and nothing you can do about it. I was trying to sell a car to a big collector in the U.S. and they absolutely would not consider a car unless all numbers matched...

Better to spend a little up front than loose it all in the end.

You need to see some of the U.S. anyway. I would find several cars go look and pick the one you like best.

Cheers,

David

Yes the scam can certainly work in either direction- scam buyers and scam sellers. A few years back I inquired about a '70 Pontiac GTO Judge on Hemmings that was beautiful and priced a little low for the market at the time, but not so low that it was obviously a scam. Seemed like someone older selling off a collector car. The reply to me seemed fairly legit, and then I noticed the ad was pulled. I contacted Hemmings and they had pulled the ad because numerous people had reported it as a scam. People tried to set up appointments to see the car in person and there were always excuses. And then I did a reverse Google image search and found the exact same pictures posted online from the true owner of the car! Here come da judge, here come da judge... (you have to be old enough to get that one)

Go and look at it in person.  When I bought my J-Code about a year and a half ago, I grappled with the same stuff.  If I sent the guy the money, I may never see the car, etc.  (the car was 1,483 miles away from me)

I looked at shipping options too.  Expensive!  Finally decided that the way to deal was in person.  I took my bestest buddy with me, got a cheap 1 way tickets on Allegiant Air and flew down there.  I took a cashier's check to pay for the car.  Then I rented a 10ft U-haul truck and trailer and dragged my prize home myself.  When it was all said and done, I did that for the same cost as shipping it....only much faster.  We trucked it home straight through very tired (but happy) when I got home.

Glad it all worked out. Do you have the persons name?  I may know him from local car shows and mustang community.
Hi just gave up trying to buy car but heres the add his name is preston

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1973/ford/mustang/101025437
Wow, this is a small world. Back in October, I tried to buy the same car from this guy. He seemed like a good guy when we first talked on the phone, so I hired an inspector local to the Memphis area to inspect the car - it came back with great feedback, very few issues with the car.

Once we got to the point of trading bank and title info to get the deal done, he got very hard to deal with. After some frustrating exchanges, I finally told him that I had to move on, because I felt that he just didn't seem quite ready to part with the car yet, and I very politely told him this. This is when he accused me of being a scammer.

I ended up buying this (this is after some clean-up and finishing work over the winter and spring).

I'm almost glad it wasn't just me - For the life of me, I just wasn't sure if I did something to piss the guy off or what. I also see the car is no longer listed - I wonder if he sold or finally decided to keep it?

Back