Suspension Kit Quality rating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a little tip if your not going to keep it all factory origional... make shure the ball joints are not rivited in get the ones that are bolt in
I agree. I just recently bought riveted control arms, so I did a bit of forward thinking and drilled the rivets out before installing the arms. When it comes to changing the ball joints in ten years time, future me is going to use hindsight to thank past me for using foresight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a kit in stock 264.95

440 949 2556

Item #68-73FTSUSP-KIT

68-73 FRONT SUSPENSION KIT

Kit includes 2 complete upper control arms with riveted ball joints, 2 complete lower control arms with riveted ball joints, 2 coil spring perches, 2 coil spring insulators, sway bar end link kit, 2 sway bar bushings (5/8) and a strut rod bushing kit.

Hey guys, has anyone purchase the suspension kit from Laurel Mountain Mustangs? If so, how was their service, quality of parts, and shipping svc.?

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/products/1968-1973-mustang-master-front-suspension-kit

Thanks,
Not too bad other than, I COULDN'T GET THE BALL JOINTS TO TAKE GREASE! I bought the kit several years ago. The product may be better now. These are not factory appearing parts, if any are I couldn't find them. They do work. I probably should research this some more to see if better parts are now available. Chuck

Not too bad other than, I COULDN'T GET THE BALL JOINTS TO TAKE GREASE! I bought the kit several years ago. The product may be better now. These are not factory appearing parts, if any are I couldn't find them. They do work. I probably should research this some more to see if better parts are now available. Chuck
Interesting you should say that. I bought my control arms from Mustangs Unlimited - I chose the dearer ones because the cheaper version had the disclaimer "*Grease fitting on ball joint is non-functional & for show use."

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DZ3082A+01

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned, but I don't really trust a ball joint that you can't stick a bit of grease into every now and again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree w/c9 and homelessMexican therefore I'm going to buy the non riveted b-joint control arms. I'm going to do some more research & try to find the right parts so I don't have to drill out anything or suffer in near future. Again, plz let me know if anyone knows where to look for front suspension parts.

Thanks

I agree w/c9 and homelessMexican therefore I'm going to buy the non riveted b-joint control arms. I'm going to do some more research & try to find the right parts so I don't have to drill out anything or suffer in near future. Again, plz let me know if anyone knows where to look for front suspension parts.

Thanks
You could do what I did :D

I recently purchased a Super Suspension Kit from LMM - simply because I needed to replace everything (literally) under my car, since it was so far gone. It was definitely the cheapest ways to get ALL of the suspension components replaced. To get the same collection of parts, I would've had to order several specific kits offered by other vendors, which would've run almost another $300 (not including shipping).

I did purchase this kit under advisement from other forum members that they had experience issues with LMM before. Honestly, I would've preferred to 'keep it in the family' with one of the vendors who is an active forum member, however it was just economically better for me to go with LMM.

The only things I had to purchase separately (not included in the kit) were the strut rods, cam bolts, and so far about 30 various fasteners to get the parts back on the car. I guess 'replacement' components don't include mounting hardware anymore - which will probably be typical for all 'kits' offered by the vendors. Technically, I suppose the cam bolts could be considered fasteners as well... :dodgy:

Otherwise, everything on the front suspension has gone together with no hassles or complications - the parts are of good quality... very comparable to what I would expect to pick up from a local parts store. The parts were all new and packaged as such.

The items were also packed very well, and shipped in a timely manner. The tie-rod ends and sleeves were back ordered, but showed up about a week later with similar packaging.

The LMM staff was helpful and friendly - my wife actually ordered the kit for me and she was happy in dealing with them. I had given her the instructions for which components to order and shipping destination - and they had no issues with any of it. I ordered 1" drop coils, 5-spring leaf packs, and the free monte carlo bar, and had them deliver it to the Auto Hobby Shop on-base with a specific delivery date, since the the shop guys were only there during certain days of the week to accept delivery.

I have no complaints with LMM or the Super Suspension Kit.

Hey mister 4X4, did you drill out the rivets from the balljoints or leave it as is?

Thanks,

I left them as-is. If I need to replace the ball-joints at some point down the road, I'll drill 'em out then, or upgrade to the 'better' control arms, or whatever.

Seriously though - how soon should one expect them to wear out and need replacing? Some of the other guys make it sound almost like it might be a fairly frequently recurring repair requirement. (I've had my Ram for 12 years now as an everyday driver and haven't had to replace anything in the suspension system besides shocks... thanks to frequent preventative maintenance in the way of greasing the ball-joints, tie-rod ends, pivot points, and getting a periodic alignment - how bad can it be?)

Back