Attention K Mart Shoppers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been watching this one for a while. Thought I would go ahead and post it for anyone looking for a 71 4sp boot where cost is no object! Was $475.00 but has now been marked down to a more manageable $440.00!

I remember the last one I needed for a 71 M 4sp cost me a whopping $8.55 in 1982. Supply and Demand!!!     :D

Thing is it's gonna tear just like the OE and the replacement did in mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-1971-Mustang-Boss-351-429-Cj-Upper-Shifter-Boot-4-Speed-D1ZZ-7277-B/292683414380?epid=9009437639&hash=item44254a7b6c:g:BvoAAOSwGMFbdIzq

How close is the reproduction one listed for 1970?  It comes with the chrome retainer ring but the boot itself looks like it could work.  And they can be bought for about $25.00

Just not the same.

Original 71 boot:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Repro:

repro shifter boot.jpg

Ray

I never cared enough to worry about the difference. Been running the 70 boots since they were first released.

Now if I had a 429SCJ car that was going concourse, maybe.

NPD list it as "70-73 Hurst 4 speed - rectangular hole" for $22.45 (2017 edition)

I too have the problem of them splitting, but I have a suggestion that will off-set the or even fix splits.

It's my go-to-fix-all Black Automotive Goop!! Wonderful stuff. Method: around the inside of the rectangular hole, apply a liberal bead of Goop. Use a wetted finger (split) and you can wipe the wet Goop smooth. Let it set ( upside down) for a couple of days before installing. Mine has been in the car for about 3 years now with only a very small split at one corner, not enough to worry about. Goop will also do a reasonable job of fixing an existing split when applied as I suggest. Just make sure you clean the surface with rubbing alcohol first to get any oils off it. Do this anyway!

The part we can't get and I know for a fact the '70 won't fit is the lower boot around the shifter mechanism. It's the same 4 speed and as far as I know, the shifter is also. I tried this years ago and it was not even close in shape to the bits I still had hanging around the shifter mechanism. Why is this not reproduced?

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
How close is the reproduction one listed for 1970?  It comes with the chrome retainer ring but the boot itself looks like it could work.  And they can be bought for about $25.00

Just not the same.

Original 71 boot:

Repro:

Ray
Ray, since I no longer have the 71 M code 4sp car I don't have any stash of 4sp parts left to compare. It seems like the last few service part boots I bought felt thin and flimsy. Like Hemikiller posted, unless a Boss or 429 concourse level car, I'd make the $22.45 version from NPD work. Even though they have it cataloged as 70-73, the DOZZ-7277-B boot was actually for the 70 Mustang, 70-71 Torino and the D1ZZ-7277-B  for the 71 Mustang. The 72-73 Gran Torino/Montego and Mustang/Cougar used the round shift lever.

Geoff's "Goop" ideal sounds great, especially if it will save or repair an original boot from self destructing.

If the '70 boot works that's great. I'd have to imagine other manufacturer's using the same type of Hurst shifter arm would also have boots which would fit. Ones that have affordable reproductions that is. The boot in my '71 429 CJ-R 4 speed isn't split and it looks like the correct style. Other than being a little dusty it seems ok. I'm going more for really nice condition driver rather than concours. hehe Someone must have replaced it at some point over the past 47 years, and I thank them for that.

Hi I'm looking for a Hurst Shift boot for my 1971 Mustang(D1ZZ-7277-B)

I saw some old posts. Anyone have any leads? Mine has some mouse damage.

Thanks

Jim

Have been watching this one for a while. Thought I would go ahead and post it for anyone looking for a 71 4sp boot where cost is no object! Was $475.00 but has now been marked down to a more manageable $440.00!

I remember the last one I needed for a 71 M 4sp cost me a whopping $8.55 in 1982. Supply and Demand!!!     :D

Thing is it's gonna tear just like the OE and the replacement did in mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-1971-Mustang-Boss-351-429-Cj-Upper-Shifter-Boot-4-Speed-D1ZZ-7277-B/292683414380?epid=9009437639&hash=item44254a7b6c:g:BvoAAOSwGMFbdIzq
Looks like they sold this one on BLUE LIGHT special. Im of the age where I remember those blue lights on a push around cart.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back