Lighting Issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don614856

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1. 351 cleveland
[url=https://ibb.co/nzYRNp][img]https://preview.ibb.co/mq7mNp/20180820_165400.jpg[/img][/url]
I have a lighting issue, when I turn on lights------ my front headlights, front side marker lights, grill lights blink off and on, and not in an pattern.  My tail lights, rear side lights, and dash lights are working fine. I have a 1971 Mach 1.  I'm thinking grounding issue, but wouldn't they all be affected? Or could it be the light switch?

I put my money on the headlight switch. I replaced mine 4 or 5 times in about 30 years, they just don't hold up!
Thanks

How is the switch removed? looks like someone tried to pry off the bezel before and it was broken and glued back together.  Finding a new bezel will be an issue.

Much appreciated ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

You have to remove the knob and shaft first, there's a little button on top of the switch, under the dash, that releases the shaft. Then you unscrew the center portion of the bezel.

You've run into an issue a lot of 71-73 owners have had to deal with. Working behind some unknowing person who tried to remove the headlight switch with what had to be a crow bar!

As Don C posted there is release button on the switch housing most parts house key board warriors have no knowledge of. When depressed it will release the switch knob and shaft that can then be  pulled straight out. Then you can remove the switch retaining nut (another item often mangled) release the wiring harness retainer clips and your on the way to home plate.

To my knowledge the light switch bezel is not reproduced at this time, but I would sure keep an eye on Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. He already has repo wiper and lighter bezels available. Stay tuned!

Don @ OMS and Mike @ Motor City Mustang would also be a good place to check for a used bezel at least good enough to get you by until something new comes out.

I had the same issue with mine after a few months of ownership.

Replaced the switch and wired the headlights via some relays to take the load off the switch. Result was much brighter lights and switch should last for donkeys years now as it is only switching relays. :D

Shane

Replaced the switch and wired the headlights via some relays to take the load off the switch. Result was much brighter lights and switch should last for donkeys years now as it is only switching relays. :D

Shane
+1 to this! Dealt with the blinky headlights for years when running halogen headights. Numerous switches later, I just went with a relay pack and some Cibie H4 housings. Best upgrade I've ever done to my car, so much nicer to drive at night.

I did the same, installed a headlight relay wiring and some new halogen lights from Scott Drake. Believe it or not, these headlights work great! Much brighter than before and this must be the only thing from the Scott Drake line that's worth a damn! lol

Shane
+3! I also had the blinking issue in my Mach.  I did not bother to replace the switch, I just added THIS relay harness.  I also put in new, matched regular Halogen sealed beams to replace the old, crappy mis-matched lights that were in there. Instant 100% improvement and no more blinking. What I like about the relay harness is it's completely non-destructive, requires no cutting of wires, and can be removed and returned to stock at any time if you wanted to.

Shane
+3! I also had the blinking issue in my Mach.  I did not bother to replace the switch, I just added THIS relay harness.  I also put in new, matched regular Halogen sealed beams to replace the old, crappy mis-matched lights that were in there. Instant 100% improvement and no more blinking. What I like about the relay harness is it's completely non-destructive, requires no cutting of wires, and can be removed and returned to stock at any time if you wanted to.
Exactly!

Used a similar harness. Relays are standard style, so they can be replaced with an Omron unit if they fail. I used Cibie housings. Light pattern is like a new car. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-OF-OEM-CIBIE-7-H4-HALOGEN-TAIL-LIGHT-FITS-VARIOUS-CARS-7-INCHES-82440-/401486428430?hash=item5d7a74b90e

Back