Manual disk brakes????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
My 72 Mach has front disks but they are manual brakes.  I thought all disk brake setups were power from the factory??  Did someone do a disk conversion on my car at some point and leave them as manual??

The manual brake master cylinder is I think 1" in dia. and the PDB is 15/16". You get the power from the booster not the cylinder.

I have driven my car all year with a blown booster just takes a little longer to stop. Headed to booster Dewey soon. Neck will not let me do much.

BTW brake pedal is different, proportioning valve, and I think master cylinder is positioned different on the firewall. If they put the calipers on they changed the spindles also. I have several PDB cars if you need to come look or need some parts.

I would say so.  Don't think standard reservoir will give you enough pressure to clamp a disc brake caliper.
Manual drum master cylinder will give you enough pressure.  I have same setup on my car. Originally came with manual drum brakes and I swapped out for disc in front and back. Runs both fine. But I do have all the parts to convert it to power.  All newly rebuilt, just gotta get time to put them on.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn. I agree that disc brakes will work without booster as I have also blown booster diaphragms. Just not at all comfortable with the distance needed to stop without booster. Understandably the booster is one component of several specifically to be utilized with PDB setup. I can vouch for Booster Dewey. He has done 3 boosters for me and all worked and looked great after his services.

My 72 Mach has front disks but they are manual brakes.  I thought all disk brake setups were power from the factory??  Did someone do a disk conversion on my car at some point and leave them as manual??
My car came with manual front disc brakes and drum brakes in the rear. It now has four wheel manual disc brakes and has absolutely no issues stopping. I have a Wilwood MC and NO proportioning valve.

So bottom line my car would not have come with manual brakes\no booster if it has front disks?  Is it possible that someone pulled the booster because it went bad and then just stuck a manual master cylinder back on it or is it more likely that they did a front disk brake conversion?

Back