1972 Q Code Convertible Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72 Fawd

Reaction score
My Car
Looking for a 72 convertible
Just found your site and glad I did. I have found a 1972 Mustang convertible Q code for sale and need everyone's opinion on what they think it's worth. I have looked up values online but also wanted to get your opions as well.

Here is what the Mustang has:

- Original Q code engine

- Original C6 automatic

- Original 3.25 Locking rear

- Nasa hood with ram air

- Ivy Gold exterior

- Medium Green Knitted Vinyl interior

- A/C, P/S, disc brakes

- 3 Spoke rim blow steering wheel

- Full console

- AM/FM

- Instrumentation Group

- Magnum 500's

Also, the Mustang is in excellent original condition. No rust, original paint, original top and original interior. The interior looks brand new execpt for one small crack on the drivers side door panel. The car has never been restored and has only 36,000 miles on it. I still need to check with the seller to see if they have some paperwork verifying the mileage.

So, Can everyone give me their best guesstimate on what this would be worth?

Thanks for your help.

First, welcome to the site.

This sounds like the same car I saw at a show in Virginia about 4 years ago. Same color's, but not sure about the engine, it was original and looked to be in great shape. I believe the owner was from West Virginia. It was for sale at the time around $14K. From what I know it was purchased and resold in Pennsylvania in the low $20's. The new owner lived in Virginia and belonged to a local Mustang Club. He sold it about a year or so ago and took a loss. I think he was asking $18k.

I have some pictures of it from the show I can post if your interested; just let me know.

This sounds like the same car I saw at a show in Virginia about 4 years ago. Same color's, but not sure about the engine, it was original and looked to be in great shape. I believe the owner was from West Virginia. It was for sale at the time around $14K. From what I know it was purchased and resold in Pennsylvania in the low $20's. The new owner lived in Virginia and belonged to a local Mustang Club. He sold it about a year or so ago and took a loss. I think he was asking $18k.

I have some pictures of it from the show I can post if your interested; just let me know.
Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate it if you could post the pictures of that car.

Heres the NADA

TOTAL PRICE $3,051 $13,195 $25,955 $36,685

Original , low, average , high
NADA = excellent for insurance values, useless for anything real world.

Just a WAG, you'd be looking at around $15K ~ $20K. The market is seriously soft right now and IF you have the cash, you can get some good deals.

Heres the NADA

TOTAL PRICE $3,051 $13,195 $25,955 $36,685

Original , low, average , high
NADA = excellent for insurance values, useless for anything real world.

Just a WAG, you'd be looking at around $15K ~ $20K. The market is seriously soft right now and IF you have the cash, you can get some good deals.
Thanks for your post. I looked at NADA previously as well as Collecter Car and Truck Market and their values seened a little high to me when I compared it to what was for sale out there. I wish I could see what these Mustangs have actually sold for as opposed to what people are asking for them.

The low miles and original condition help... but not as much as it would it was a Boss. You will get the most from someone who is looking to do an original restoration. This one sounds like it would just need a little TLC. Do you know if it has the original spark plugs, wires and some of those parts? That would really help. You will have to 'wait' for the right buyer but someone looking for a 'time machine' may eventually stumble along.

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate it if you could post the pictures of that car.
Per your request, here are pictures of the car I was talking about. After looking at the pics, probably not the same car as the one you are looking at as this one is a 351, 2V and the last owner told me it had about 74,000 original miles:

These pictures below were taken at a car show I think in about 2006. The second set of pictures show the same car in June 2008, but the NASA Hood, the Magnum 500 wheels, and the front spoiler have been added. After checking the details, he was trying to sell for $18K in June 2008, but told me in an email he would take $15K.

Good luck with your purchase!

2005_0430037.jpg

2005_0430039.jpg

2005_0430040.jpg

2005_0430038.jpg

Same car with mods in June 2008:

72side.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04525.jpg

The low miles and original condition help... but not as much as it would it was a Boss. You will get the most from someone who is looking to do an original restoration. This one sounds like it would just need a little TLC. Do you know if it has the original spark plugs, wires and some of those parts? That would really help. You will have to 'wait' for the right buyer but someone looking for a 'time machine' may eventually stumble along.
I am planning on taking a look at it this weekend. I will check to see if any of those items are original. Thanks for your help.

Per your request, here are pictures of the car I was talking about. After looking at the pics, probably not the same car as the one you are looking at as this one is a 351, 2V and the last owner told me it had about 74,000 original miles:

These pictures below were taken at a car show I think in about 2006. The second set of pictures show the same car in June 2008, but the NASA Hood, the Magnum 500 wheels, and the front spoiler have been added. After checking the details, he was trying to sell for $18K in June 2008, but told me in an email he would take $15K.

Good luck with your purchase!

2005_0430037.jpg

2005_0430039.jpg

2005_0430040.jpg

2005_0430038.jpg

Same car with mods in June 2008:

72side.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04525.jpg
The pictures you posted are very similar to the Mustang I'm looking at, but it's not an automatic and not a 4V like you said. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found your site and glad I did. I have found a 1972 Mustang convertible Q code for sale and need everyone's opinion on what they think it's worth. I have looked up values online but also wanted to get your opions as well.

Here is what the Mustang has:

- Original Q code engine

- Original C6 automatic

- Original 3.25 Locking rear

- Nasa hood with ram air

- Ivy Gold exterior

- Medium Green Knitted Vinyl interior

- A/C, P/S, disc brakes

- 3 Spoke rim blow steering wheel

- Full console

- AM/FM

- Instrumentation Group

- Magnum 500's

Also, the Mustang is in excellent original condition. No rust, original paint, original top and original interior. The interior looks brand new execpt for one small crack on the drivers side door panel. The car has never been restored and has only 36,000 miles on it. I still need to check with the seller to see if they have some paperwork verifying the mileage.

So, Can everyone give me their best guesstimate on what this would be worth?

Thanks for your help.
Unless the seller can prove mileage with documentation, all mileage claims should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do a little math. The 36K mileage over 40 years comes out to about 2.1 miles

per day average. Highly unlikely.

People 40 years ago did not buys these cars to park them. And little old ladies didn't buy them to drive to the grocery store on Sunday's either.

Just my 2c's worth.

Ah, okay, I thought you were looking to sell this car. You are looking to buy it.

Then the originality only matters if you are planning on 'showing' it as an original or if you personally prefer and 'original' car. If you are going to modify it (engine upgrades, suspension upgrades, etc) then there is less of a reason to pay a premium for the originality.

I too would be a little weary of the original miles claim. It's possible... but if you owned that car would you park it or drive it.. ;)

Talking about mileage ....anything is possible look at the collection of low mile cars that Bob Perkins has. I ran into a fellow at the gas station the other day...he was driving a 68 coupe, so we got talking about the cars and he told me his has 28,000 original miles on it....all the bills were in the glove box. This car was bought back in 68 and the lady that sold it to him said it hadn't moved in over 15 years since her hubby passed away. The only thing that he needed to do was a fresh paint as the car was in a carport in Virginia( sun baked on one side) and had to change drivers seat cover. He took a spark plug out and they were still original FOMOCO with the markings on it.

Best thing ....price she asked for it was $8,000.

I dont get this post really well but.. are we looking at the actual car this member wants to buy??..

If it is the same or even in the same condition i think even in the USA where our era cars are not yet that valuable, is a good 30K car... Remember that our cars are increasing its value month after month... having an exceptional original and IN THAT CONDITION (taking the car in the pics as it were the actual car)... going for a 30K price doesn´t scare me...

If the car is now sitting and you think the car looks like the one in the pics and you pretend to buy it cheap but you have to offer some money for it i think a 15 to 20K is reasonable and the actual owner wont say no...

If that car were in Uruguay we will be talking about a 50K sale in a day...

I dont get this post really well but.. are we looking at the actual car this member wants to buy??..

If it is the same or even in the same condition i think even in the USA where our era cars are not yet that valuable, is a good 30K car... Remember that our cars are increasing its value month after month... having an exceptional original and IN THAT CONDITION (taking the car in the pics as it were the actual car)... going for a 30K price doesn´t scare me...

If the car is now sitting and you think the car looks like the one in the pics and you pretend to buy it cheap but you have to offer some money for it i think a 15 to 20K is reasonable and the actual owner wont say no...

If that car were in Uruguay we will be talking about a 50K sale in a day...
Damian, sorry for the confusion. I provided pictures of a car very similar to the one he wants to buy. I knew the price history of the car pictured and have also seen it in person; hopefully he can compare condition and price to the one his is interested in.

Getting back to the low mileage claim, I would ask for any service records, annual state inspection receipts, and any other documentation the seller may have to support the low mileage claim. My 73 Convertible has 112,000 original miles and I have 99% of all annual inspection receipts except for the years in was in storage and not being driven.

Sorry guys, I have been offline for a few days. The seller does claim the mileage is low and I have asked him for documentation. He told me the original owner of the Mustang bought this for his son but after getting in trouble a few times, the dad no longer allowed his son to drive it. It sat in the garage for many years until the sellers uncle bought the house and the Mustang was thrown into the deal. The Mustang was again driven very few miles and then was sold to the sellers dad. The dad didn't drive the Mustang much either and now the son is looking to sell it. Good story but as Topless said, the story is only as good as the documentation.

I have attached a few pics of the car below. According to the seller, it has original paint and interior. Let me know what you guys think now.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

The car is awsome and looks incredibly good for an original one man... If it is that original as the owner says then you are facing a true collectable car in my opinion... doin´t know if those specs are rare but the car is rare only to be that good...

You can invest 50 bucks and order a marti report to start... Verify if that hood is original as well as the Magnums for instance...

But i´m positive that this is a good 30K car everyday.... If the seller is asking a money you can pay then, if i were you i´ll buy it even if it is a restored and not factory original car condition... For sure, you can enjoy this ride man! :)

Best of luck!

Looks great. Looks like original carpet from the fading on the hump. Engine compartment looks good. Looks like its well worth buying, depending on the price.

Back