scored big time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Scored this virgin 429 this mornig from a friend from mine. He is moving and did'nt want to haul it. It is not cj but for free who can argue. Casting # is D1VE-A2B.

Jim

_MG_0476.JPG

_MG_0477.JPG

_MG_0478.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score, a '71 thunder jet block. What are the casting numbers on the heads?
Nice 1! Dad had a '69 4dr T-bird that had a 429TJ. Lots of torque these motors. You even got the heat riser and looks like stock carb.

The engine has never been apart. I don't have the casting number for the heads yet. I will probably get them today. No plans for the engine yet but the rebuild will probably be stock configuration.

Jim

GREAT acquisition, Jim!

A minor "Stock" build will easily put you in the 500HP/500TQ range. I have said it before, our '71 - '73 Mustangs were made for these "Lima" motors!

BT

Ok, got all the numbers off the engine I could find. The heads and intake have me a little puzzeled. The left head is numbered D3VE-A2A and the right head is D VE-A2A. Checking on these it looks like '73 heads. The intake has two numbers on it one in front and one in back. Front D3VE A1, the rear is 3D24.

The tag on the carb is BD3AF VA motorcraft on the blue tag.

If someone could help me on these numbers cause at this point I'm stumprd.:s

Jim

From the front number and the numbers on the heads. It seems that it is out of a 73 lincoln. I'm no expert though somebody else might have a better idea.

Some guys have all the luck!

Congrats on the score.

Seems like everything is from 73. I did not check the numbers in detail but afaik, you can not tell by the casting numbers where it came from. The code referring to a model (Lincoln, Torino, Mustang etc) only says what the part was designed for in the first place.

If that part with a Lincoln code was later used on Mustangs and Torinos it will still keep the Lincoln code, even if it became standard equipment on the other models.

I found a website a while ago with all the codes. I gotta try and find it on the other computer, as I sure don´t have it on this one.

We refer to them as casting numbers, but from what I've read they are actually engineering revision numbers. So your block's design was from '71, and the heads/intake were designed in '73. The 429 TJ was used in large passenger cars, like Lincolns and Thunderbirds. They produced 360 hp stock but can easily be bumped up by simple stuff like swapping out carbs, port and polish heads, headers, etc. These things can easily handle 500 hp and have massive amounts of torque.

I have a friend with a '71 LTD 390 powered convertible. I turned him onto a local craigslist post with a guy disassembling a 70K mile 2dr this week. Guy was making a demo car, and ended up giving my buddy all of the unboltable stuff he wanted. Everything except the tilt wheel and 429-2V. My buddy offered to buy it all, but the guy would rather demo it (and you know the rest of its story...).

Frustrating.

(I told my buddy to offer an even trade for his '02 Impala :) )

This link may help you with your head question, Jim. It has a pretty definitive ranking of the 429/460 heads (they are the same) by Paul Kane around the middle of the postings.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?p=971650

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

BT

Back