460 or 351CJ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Ok I know Im all over the place but I am trying to decide which way to go before spending too much money.  I have a 460 block but will need the full rotating assembly and I would probably put on TF aluminum heads.  I am trying to decide if I should build the 460 since its on the stand and then swap it out the 351 CJ.  The 351 will not need anything but new pistons and I will go with TF aluminum heads on it too.  As most of you know I am not looking for this to be a track car just a good looking, sounding cruiser hotrod.

So which route should I go?

Ok I know Im all over the place but I am trying to decide which way to go before spending too much money.  I have a 460 block but will need the full rotating assembly and I would probably put on TF aluminum heads.  I am trying to decide if I should build the 460 since its on the stand and then swap it out the 351 CJ.  The 351 will not need anything but new pistons and I will go with TF aluminum heads on it too.  As most of you know I am not looking for this to be a track car just a good looking, sounding cruiser hotrod.

So which route should I go?
If they both need to be built I would stick with the cleveland. Less hassle than the 460 swap and you are keeping it original.

I would stay with the 351

If you're building a car for drag racing, by all means go with the 460.

However, if you want a nice handling, and street friendly, car go with the 351C.

If for no other reason, go for the cool factor of having a 351C, one of the best engines ever built back in the day.

What do you want out of your car?

The big block will make more power at lower rpm while the 351C will need more rpms to make power.

If you are on the fence then, in my opinion, build the 351C as the car is already setup for it and it’ll require less stuff to be found bought and changed.

Back