1972 mach1 fuse box mounting location

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Can you guys help me out. I have mess under the dash that PO started fixing . 

I need to know what is the location of the fuse box and routing of the main cable going to it

Does anyone have an image to show me ?

Thanks

Alex

20180926_195745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I did this about 10 years ago, so I'm going off of memory but here's what I would do: I would disconnect the battery first, then unscrew the bolt that holds the green plug to the fuse box. Once separated, route the wiring harness like the one in the picture. It should run across and behind the dash. Locate the fuse box bracket and then connect the green plug back to the fuse box. I think it sandwiches between the steel fuse box bracket with the tightening of the bolt. Green connector on top, fuse box on bottom.  Remember to look for holes for the wiring retaining clips to fit in. This should guide you and know you're putting the harness in the correct place.

I did this about 10 years ago, so I'm going off of memory but here's what I would do: I would disconnect the battery first, then unscrew the bolt that holds the green plug to the fuse box. Once separated, route the wiring harness like the one in the picture. It should run across and behind the dash. Locate the fuse box bracket and then connect the green plug back to the fuse box. I think it sandwiches between the steel fuse box bracket with the tightening of the bolt. Green connector on top, fuse box on bottom.  Remember to look for holes for the wiring retaining clips to fit in. This should guide you and know you're putting the harness in the correct place.
Hello,

See if this will help.

Source: Ford Motor Company master Catalog -May 1975

Here you go....

The harness from the firewall runs behind the steering column support bracket to the fuse junction box. 

You can see in the pic above a portion of the harness runs from the fuse junction box over the column between the dash panel and the steering column support bracket (thru a plastic sleeve).

View from the back of the dash after it was removed from the car.

Thank you guys very much. Both suggestions have been very helpful. 

It looks like I dont have the bracket the is used to mount the fusebox to the chassis 

How do you separate the green connector attached to the fuse box?

I cant remove the screw holding green connector to the fuse panel

I just don't want to force it and  brake something

Cheers  ::beer::

Alex

The bolt does not actually come out. You unscrew it and it stays in place just pull on the huge plug and wiggle it. If you have to do much work under the dash it is much easier to just pull the whole dash out. You can get to heater box easier then also. The thru the firewall harness stays in the metal bracket. You can see the threaded end of the bolt sticking through the dash wire harness fuse box in pic.

The bolt does not actually come out. You unscrew it and it stays in place just pull on the huge plug and wiggle it. If you have to do much work under the dash it is much easier to just pull the whole dash out. You can get to heater box easier then also. The thru the firewall harness stays in the metal bracket. You can see the threaded end of the bolt sticking through the dash wire harness fuse box in pic.

It looks like the bracket that holds green connector and fuse box is missing on my car. I'll see if anyone sells it on ebay or maybe I will have to fabricate something on my own

I have them but can not dig them out. I bet Don has them since every car had them and not much of a repair part.

btw. All the under dash brackets are just raw steel so they rust quite fast. I soak mine in my molasses tank, wash with Dawn dish washing, wipe down with lacquer thinner and spray satin clear on them to prevent rust again. All of the brackets in pics were done that way.

T5 is correct on being two different brackets ....BUT "I think" that may have been comonized BY 1972 ! It is a situation of needing to match steering brackets and mounts BECAUSE they don't interchange! My Guess is you will be looking for the "right angle" SHARP edge style shown in photos.

Mark

P.S. Good luck if you need the earlier style! (it may have been specific of manual brake cars also)

T5 is correct on being two different brackets ....BUT "I think" that may have been comonized BY 1972 !      It is a situation of needing to match steering brackets and mounts BECAUSE they don't interchange!   My Guess is you will be looking for the "right angle" SHARP edge style shown in photos.  

Mark

P.S.  Good luck if you need the earlier style!   (it may have been specific of manual brake cars also)
So turns out that I do need the bracket style that is hard to find. I was able to purchase the bracket that does not fit my steering column and I will modify it to fit

Thanks all for your help

Alex

Back