idea

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasdave

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Grande 351 Cleveland/FMX/9inch
I got this crazy idea don't know yet though but I thought about a 4.6 or 5.4 mustang for mileage and cruising I don't know yet though. So I went on the local classifieds and sure enough there was a mechanically good 95 Cougar needs windsheild, paint, etc. runs and drives 600 bucks. Good donor car I think would be the way to go if I decide too. What do you think? anyone tried it?

AD:cool:

Would a '95 Cougar have a 5.0 or a 4.6? Not sure when they switched the Cougars over, but it was probably a 4.6. I wouldn't have high expectations for performance from it being a '95. If I was going to take on that type project, I would look for a later 3V out of an '08-09 GT or 4V Cobra motor.

They are kinda wide. I have heard they will fit between the towers without any room to spare. Take measurements and give much thought to servicability, spark plugs are tough to get at even in a truck, can you get the rockers off in the car? etc. As for drivability and economy it could be a good choice, but could you accomplish the same with a 5.0 roller cam engine and an OD trans?

Just my nickels worth.

You probably need to determine which engine is in that '95 Cougar as it is my understanding that there were three (3) options for that year - - 3.8L, 5.0 and 4.6 Mod.

I have not personally completed this particular swap.

BT

Spark plugs wont be an issue since they are inboard on the intake manifold edge, Valve covers should not have to come off. I think the electronics exhaust and oil pan are your worries.

I wouldnt spend the bucks to do this on a 15 year old motor, if the car is that cheap it probably has been around the block a few times.

Swap an overdrive tranny and it will get your cruising rpms to an economical level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back