Grabber Lime Restoration - Front Suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
Finally getting some time to start working on putting the Grabber Lime 429 Mach 1 back together.  It's been sitting on the lift for 2 years!!!   Attached and torqued down the tie rods, idler arm, steering gear and drag link.  Next will be the radius arms, sway bar, front spring perches and front springs.

View attachment 40725

IMG_4289.jpg

Finally getting some time to start working on putting the Grabber Lime 429 Mach 1 back together.  It's been sitting on the lift for 2 years!!!   Attached and torqued down the tie rods, idler arm, steering gear and drag link.  Next will be the radius arms, sway bar, front spring perches and front springs.
Looks soooo nice. Well done! Can't wait to see a Grabber Lime 429 finished.

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome!

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome
I bought as many NOS pieces I could over time but some of it is aftermarket (outer tie rods) but looks close.   I then refinished them in the colors they came from the factory in.

Beautiful job!

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome
I bought as many NOS pieces I could over time but some of it is aftermarket (outer tie rods) but looks close.   I then refinished them in the colors they came from the factory in.
Is there a list somewhere of all the different colors used by Ford for each part/area of the 71-73's? Rattle cans or air compressor with spray gun?

A little more progress this week.  Installed the front sway bar and radius arms. 

That is looking dangerously close to being too gorgeous to drive. Superb work!

:bravo:
Gotta drive them, that is what they were made for!!  It's just as easy to put things back to the original color (vs painting black underneath) when you put it back together.

A little more progress this week.  Installed the front sway bar and radius arms. 
More progress - Front marker lights, steering gear, and splash shields.

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

Looks great!  Out of curiosity, the strut rod washers are they a blueish color? What lead to that finish.
Mustangs that came with 15 inch wheels had bluish washers on them (at least in 69/70 - Bosses/Shelby's).   When I took, the radius arms off my 71 429 Fastback, there were signs of blue on the edges toward the rear of the washer.  Not sure if that was coincidence or factory, so carried it over onto my 71 until I can find a low mileage original car with 15s and know for sure.

Back