Grabber Lime Restoration - Front Suspension

Motorcity Mustang

Finally getting some time to start working on putting the Grabber Lime 429 Mach 1 back together.  It's been sitting on the lift for 2 years!!!   Attached and torqued down the tie rods, idler arm, steering gear and drag link.  Next will be the radius arms, sway bar, front spring perches and front springs.

IMG_4288.jpg.954f96c998112b45c1ca5e9b75c4f9d8.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg.43bfe3b3f2ed035205f20fe70dc087c8.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks from MotorCity Mustang!

http://stores.ebay.com/MotorCity-Mustang

Finally getting some time to start working on putting the Grabber Lime 429 Mach 1 back together.  It's been sitting on the lift for 2 years!!!   Attached and torqued down the tie rods, idler arm, steering gear and drag link.  Next will be the radius arms, sway bar, front spring perches and front springs.

Looks soooo nice. Well done! Can't wait to see a Grabber Lime 429 finished.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome!

Stang Life!

Stangs.jpg

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome

I bought as many NOS pieces I could over time but some of it is aftermarket (outer tie rods) but looks close.   I then refinished them in the colors they came from the factory in.

Beautiful job!

1F03M, Maroon,Blk Int,Wht Top,A/C,Rim Blow,Posi

1F03M, Maroon,Wht/Wht,PW

1F03M, GrbrLime,Wht/Wht,A/C,CA Car

1F03M, Drk Green,Grn/Blk,4-Spd,Tach,R/A,Tilt,Rim Blow,PW

1F03M, Drk Grn,Blk/Blk,4-Spd,Tach,A/C,Tilt,Rim Blow,Mgnms

1F03M, Black,Wht,Wht,Tach,Posi

1F03M, Brown,Ginger,Blk,4-Spd,R/A,Tach

1F03M, Pewter,Blk,Blk,4-Spd,A/C,R/A,Tach,Mgnms

2F03R, GrabberBlue,Wht,Wht,Dcr Grp,Tach

2F03R, Brgt Blue,Wht,Wht,Dcr Grp,Tach

2F03Q, Red,Wht,Wht,Rim Blow,A/C,Tach,Conv.Grp,DcrGrp,Stripes,Mgnms

2F03Q, Rd,Rd,Blk,Rim Blow,A/C,Tach

2F03Q, Brgt Lime(Orig. Gld Glw),Blk,Blk,A/C,P/W,Tilt,Conv Grp,Dcr Grp

2F03Q, Grbr Blue,(Orig. Brt Blue)Wht, Wht,4-Spd,Tach,A/C

3F03Q, (2) Gold Glow(one Blk int,one Ginger int),both 4-Spd,Tach,Dcr Grp,Stripes,TuTone Hood,Frgd Whls

3F03Q,BluGlow,Blu,Wht,4Spd,A/C,Tach,DcrGrp,Stripes,TT,Frgd Whls

3F03Q, Copper,Gngr,Blk,4Spd,Tach,DcrGrp,Stripes,T-T,Frgd Whls

3F03Q, Trpl Wht,A/C,P/W,Tilt,Tach

3F03Q, Spcl Ordr Black,Blk,Wht,Tach

3F03Q, Spcl Order Purple,Wht,Wht,A/C,Tach,Tilt,P/W,Frgd Whls

And 10 more verts, 2 Boss 351s and 1 M-code Mach I! :D

Very Very nice!  Is that all original hardware and if not where did you purchase it from?  If it is original great job making it look soooo awesome

I bought as many NOS pieces I could over time but some of it is aftermarket (outer tie rods) but looks close.   I then refinished them in the colors they came from the factory in.

Is there a list somewhere of all the different colors used by Ford for each part/area of the 71-73's? Rattle cans or air compressor with spray gun?

Stang Life!

Stangs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress this week.  Installed the front sway bar and radius arms. 

IMG-4736.jpg

IMG-4737.jpg

IMG-4738.jpg

IMG-4739.jpg

That is looking dangerously close to being too gorgeous to drive. Superb work!

:bravo:

Gotta drive them, that is what they were made for!!  It's just as easy to put things back to the original color (vs painting black underneath) when you put it back together.

A little more progress this week.  Installed the front sway bar and radius arms. 

More progress - Front marker lights, steering gear, and splash shields.

IMG_4750.jpg.e101411135df365d52315aaf9dd047b8.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg.2a2ffc5f541401b19fbce4c4103c057a.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg.693f58d39848a89477067064dcb67de3.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg.ce9bb2e0795b99915cd5cc33aacb1bfc.jpg

Looks great! Out of curiosity, the strut rod washers are they a blueish color? What lead to that finish.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Looks great!  Out of curiosity, the strut rod washers are they a blueish color? What lead to that finish.

Mustangs that came with 15 inch wheels had bluish washers on them (at least in 69/70 - Bosses/Shelby's).   When I took, the radius arms off my 71 429 Fastback, there were signs of blue on the edges toward the rear of the washer.  Not sure if that was coincidence or factory, so carried it over onto my 71 until I can find a low mileage original car with 15s and know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the brake lines and fuel lines installed in the wheel well area.  Still had to do a little bending as they are not quite exact as the originals were.  Grommets are original and still in good shape.

IMG_4914.jpg.f2b779f5c1ddd974532623d6b8c01929.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg.6cab207a8a5bb75a7e799093cd080ba4.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg.f47dafecee3d8f17ce41ff88882d40ec.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg.7cfffae8ec104d667589646d8800113b.jpg

Thank you for the info on the washers. I did not know that. In the spirit of sharing I noticed your Upper Control Arms showed the dipping on the back half. Concourse would have been bare steel uppers and dipped lowers. I documented this on several survivor cars as well as at Bob Perkins shop in Wisconsin, Only meant to share not critique.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info on the washers. I did not know that.  In the spirit of sharing I noticed your Upper Control Arms showed the dipping on the back half.  Concourse would have been bare steel uppers and dipped lowers.  I documented this on several survivor cars as well as at Bob Perkins shop in Wisconsin,  Only meant to share not critique.

Thanks for the catch.  When I got those from the vendor, I re-sanded them to remove the scratches and chips, then resprayed them as they were painted.  I should have looked more closely at my other cars.   Good thing I am just driving this one!!!

just a heads up I had that exact same idle arm fail on me Saturday, fortunately it was at very low speed. The bushing pulled apart into two pieces at the steering linkage.

Thanks for sharing.  That is a new one, hope that doesn't fail!!

Thank you for the info on the washers. I did not know that.  In the spirit of sharing I noticed your Upper Control Arms showed the dipping on the back half.  Concourse would have been bare steel uppers and dipped lowers.  I documented this on several survivor cars as well as at Bob Perkins shop in Wisconsin,  Only meant to share not critique.

In my experience, I highly doubt that too many MCA judges will penalize this unless of course, you are doing thoroughbred...

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...