Woot! Scored a flat hood!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
I picked up an original flat hood today for a few hundred dollars. Outside looks great but it’s going to need treatment and cleaning. Nevertheless I’m very happy with this original part looking better than what I got (except for the orange).

3bcf0302adb9af42d7a555b1b501cdf6.jpg

e43b2b8ae44f03d28f8ba9cd8a1cca88.jpg

Vinnie, that hood looks like you scored a great deal. The cleaning and treatment shouldn't  be a problem for you now, since you paid a visit to our buddy "Chef" Fabrice!  Now that you know how to cook nuts, bolts, and hardware, treating the inside of that hood with the special vinegar sauce should put you on the way to becoming a Master Chef also!   [emoji1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Looks great on your Opel !

Lol @secluff for now, I'm cooking deck lids. I thought I'd be doing the hood by now but some hidden holes came in between...

Hope to cook it very soon...

I thought I'd be doing the hood by now but some hidden holes came in between...

Hope to cook it very soon...

I think I’ll be talking to you about that coz I really want this hood to stay in shape :)

Congrats on finding a good hood. My flat hood has the usual rust on the inside and sounds like a huge salt shaker when you rock it. Putting up with a repro NASA hood and although straight having some gap issues not to mention the built in bow.

I reckon at some stage I will try "cooking" my old hood to save it so will have a look at Fabrice's recipe.

Mine has the salt shaker effect as well but this is as good as it gets overhere. The salt will have to be flushed out and then it will need all sorts of other flushing...

I have a good flat hood off a southern origin car (not rusted underneath or on top) and a couple of scooped hoods in MN. Flat hood wouldn't fit with my BB and aftermarket intake.

Back