27 Years since my last Mustang !

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

724me

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible - Current Project. Almost 30 YEARS since my last Mustang !

1968 Mustang 6cyl to 351 swap 1984-1990 (boy do I miss it).
1979 CAPRI RS Turbo 2.3 / 4-speed 1986-1988 Daily Driver
1984 Mustang GT - Manual - 1988-1992

I just wanted to post a quick introduction.  My name is Brian and it's been about 27 years since my last Mustang (sounds like a confession, I know.), and 36 years since I bought my first Mustang. .  I'm now 50 years old ..... and still car crazy..

I bought my first Mustang (a 1968 coupe) in 1984 (about 1.5 years BEFORE I got my learners permit).  I needed to have it completed and painted by the time I was able to drive.  And it was.  I'll post a pic at some point.

When it was done, I convinced my dad that it was too nice to drive and "beat up" as a daily driver, so I picked up and 1979 Capri RS Turbo 2.3 - 4-Speed as my daily driver while I continued to modify the 68.  Eventually, I picked up a 1984 GT 5-speed as a daily driver. (when a drunk guy hit and totaled the '79 RS - and almost killed me).

In the late 80's I bought my first Grand National (have had 3) and '83 Hurst Olds (30,000 miles which I still own).  I then got into restoring and modifying C3 Corvettes along with frame modifications / custom frames etc.  I Currently own 2- 1976's both L-82 4-speed cars - One now being a 383 4-speed).  I've got a few more toys  "in the garage" and have had (and my wife loves this), appx 12 3rd Gen Z-28's and Trans-Ams (just sold my '87 Iroc 383 6 speed conversion 2 weeks ago).

I was due for another project, so I picked up a 1972 Convertible 302 / Auto.  I have a few ideas from years ago when I wanted to pick up one of these cars.  (Which honestly, I never cared for when I had the 68).  Honestly, over the years, they have gotten better to me.  They are a nice looking car, that took me awhile to really appreciate.

This car has an interesting story - like most do.  Right now it smells like a Horse Stall !  Yes.... (And I know how Ironic that is, being a Mustang).  The abbreviated story.  Bought new by an older gentleman in 1972.  Driven until 1983 (original 49K miles) when it was replaced by another car.  Sat in the garage until it was sold in 1999 to someone who wanted to restore (after he finished his current project)....... Well, that never happened.  The car was moved into a horse stall at a horse farm where it sat from 1999 until 2 weeks ago.

It has the last inspection sticker (expiring 1984), has the original muffler and exhaust pipes, original top (perfect shape but one tear - it's a shame).  It's an A/C car and the engine is completely / 100% untouched.  Even the retaining clips holding the A/C hoses are there.  Nothing Hacked up / modified or changed.  Looks just like it did in 1972.  The dash (in great shape) even has the original safety sticker right in the center of it.  It was never removed.  It has the untouched AM/FM radio, console, A few dry rotted seams in the deluxe interior.

It was driving for 10-12 years in PA and NJ so it did have a slight amount of rust around the wheel wells, which was taken care of with a little "mud" Back in the Day, and the car was painted.  It had some 1/4 panel rot which was also "Mudded".  A tiny spot in the driver floor, and taillight panel but overall a very sold car.

I don't mess with bondo, so the car will be getting all new sheet metal where it needs it.  Inner and outer rockers look good at first glance, and torque boxes (only the rear driver) show just a bit of rot, which I will be replacing them as well.  The shock towers are awesome, the firewall  etc, / the front of the car and underside is perfect.  Fenders, doors and upper quarters are fantastic.  Little bondo around rear fender wells.

Over all a great car to start with.,..  

I need to immediately get the carpet out as it smells like the Barn it was in.  I have an air ionizer in there now and even though the seats are nice, except for the bottoms, I'll most likely need to do foam and upholstery since that may "hold a bit of odor".

Looking forward to posting progress, and glad to be on the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Pics to follow. Just taking some pics and video of it today. I even took a picture of it by the barn it was sitting in! I so badly wanted to get a pic with it inside the stall (preferably with a horse in the next stall ) !!!, but the owner drug it out when he listed it for sale so people could get a good look at it. That would have been an amazing Before Picture ! I'll get a few pics up (along with a build thread at some point)..

Hello from Mississippi.  Glad to hear that after 27 years you decided to get back to your roots and give the original "Pony" car another spin. Sounds like you have some nice cars in your Fleet!  And....We like Car Crazy!  A close friend of mine received a Birthday T Shirt from his wife that stated "After All These Years, Still Plays With Cars"!

Very knowledgeable and friendly folks here, so be sure to ask if you need any info or just to talk Mustangs (or cars).

Welcome aboard.

Welcome from Tucson AZ.  Good to see another Mustang - Corvette guy!!!!    I am on my second corvette (C6) but I do miss my 1984 C4.  I'm also on my 2nd Mustang.  First one was a 1970 - restored that and sold it...(dumb a$$) and now I have my 73.

Back