27 Years since my last Mustang ! - 72 Convertible Build Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

724me

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible - Current Project. Almost 30 YEARS since my last Mustang !

1968 Mustang 6cyl to 351 swap 1984-1990 (boy do I miss it).
1979 CAPRI RS Turbo 2.3 / 4-speed 1986-1988 Daily Driver
1984 Mustang GT - Manual - 1988-1992

I wanted to thank everyone who sent a Welcome on the introduction page. 

I bought my first Mustang around late 1983 (a 68 Coupe). I was 15 years old.  Since then, I've  had 3-4 mustangs that I've restored (to varying degrees).  It's been about 27 years since my last Mustang.  I got into Corvettes, 3rd Gen Camaro / Firebird and Buick Grand Nationals (as well as some other toys), so I've been away from Ford (Other than my '98 F-150 4.6 - 5-Speed Step Side) and I thought I'd post a few pics of my current project.

Sorry about the pics. The car is in an "odd spot" in my driveway, but as I move it into one of the garages and start work, I'll get some better pics.  This 72 has been in storage since 1983 (In a horse stall !!  How Appropriate for a Mustang!)...... and even though it's "aired out" over the last week or so, it sill has just a slight "scent of horse"   lollerz

It's a very clean 49k original mile Convertible w/ 302 2v / Auto, Deluxe interior.  It has had a little amount of bondo from years ago, but the body is in really nice shape considering how rotted out these cars can be.  It still has the original exhaust pipes, muffler and hangers. The underside has a "super solid" front end / shock towers, aprons, cowls, ... everything is rust free.  Front torque boxes are great.  Slight rot on the INNER rockers and 1 small spot on the drivers side floor.  Little rot on driver rear torque box and that's about it.  Original A/C car, and A/C compressor still kicks on, does not squeal etc !  (I don't want to waste any R-12 on it at this point- but it looks like it's fully functional).  Some minor rust on the taillight panel and a minimal amount on rear quarters / lower section. Some minor rust that was repaired and bondo'd around the fender flares.

Everything else is fantastic.  I don't really "do bondo" and this car is worth new metal, so I'll be doing brand new sheet metal for the taillight panel, quarter panels.  I don't normally like to patch rockers on unibody type cars, so I'll most likely do outer rockers as well. I have to admit, for the last 15-20 years, I've been "spoiled" with the c3 corvettes I've had (and still own), by  just being able to lift the body off the frame and repair / fabricate anything I need to!  Little more work on the Mustang "undersides"...  (I have a few ideas in mind for the body / paint / wheels etc).

I "oiled up" the cylinders, installed new cap, rotor, points, fuel pump (Drained the tank and I'm running off a gas can to the pump inlet). Pulled distributor and primed the engine.  I let it sit for a day or so, cranked great by hand.  ...... And she fired right up - barely cranked.  Idles good, no oil / coolant / other leaks.  Back drums were seized up.  Took me a few hours to get them removed with some gentle prying. Drivers side is still functional / cleaned up until everything gets replaced.  Pass side, hardware corroded.  Left drum off for now.  Car moves and stops (kind of) in the driveway.

Convertible top works great !!

Going over it today / making list to order the sheet metal.... so more to follow:

Looking at a Mach-1 Hood (original) this weekend.  A bit of a drive, but worth it.

I'll be posting in the classified section for the missing hood trim piece and missing passenger side fender piece.  Hopefully I can find some fairly "cost effective" used ones (I'm going to paint body color).... before I have to buy new ones at some point.    MORE TO COME..  In background:  1991 V-12 Jag XJ-S, 1979 Trans-Am, 1976 Corvette (under Cover)...

subaru brz 0 60

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Germany!

Thank you for sharing your car-history with us. Some interesting vehicels you possessed... Never knew of a 80ies Mercury Capri - looks better than the same time plattform sharing Mustang IMHO ...

Good project to start with - have fun and success ::thumb::

Looks like a great project car.  Good luck with it. I had very similar 73 vert.

Wow, that does look similar.  I've seen a few 71-72's with body colored painted bumpers to "mimic" the 73 look.  I'm going to paint my hood and fender trim, and I'm considering doing the bumpers in body color.  I may change my mind, but I've liked the ones I've seen.  Thanks everyone for the comments.

One thing you said that sort of puzzles me. You said the outer rocker was rusty. I have never seen a rust hole in an outer rocker and the car be a pile of rust everywhere else, lol.

If you want to get rid of smells in the car get an ozone generator and run it inside the car a few times. Probably has mice in the heater box also.

Lots to do for sure.

BTW the NASA hood was not just on Mach 1 could be had on any body style. Also side stripes in 72 & 73 Just not Mach 1 verts.

One thing you said that sort of puzzles me. You said the outer rocker was rusty. I have never seen a rust hole in an outer rocker and the car be a pile of rust everywhere else, lol.

If you want to get rid of smells in the car get an ozone generator and run it inside the car a few times. Probably has mice in the heater box also.

Lots to do for sure.

BTW the NASA hood was not just on Mach 1 could be had on any body style. Also side stripes in 72 & 73 Just not Mach 1 verts.

hey there,

Actually,  I mistyped that.  I have a small spot of rust on the INNER rocker not the outer.  The outers (you are correct) seem to always be pretty nice.   Were they galvanized or treated in some way??.  I remember stripping a friends car for paint years ago (a 71) and they looked greyish / galvanized to me. But yes, you are correct, the outers are perfect.

I didn't list it in this post, but in my intro post, I did mention that I have my Ozone Machine in the car.  (after 2-3 days, it's a world of difference).  I even "tarped a couch" in a plastic tent that was given to a family member.  It was in awesome shape but smelled like smoke something fierce.  A few days under the tent with the ozone generator and it was as good as new.  

As far as the mice, I think the 200 barn cats must have been working 24/7. I don't see any mouse poop, nests, chewing etc. I'll be taking a good look in the vents etc just to be sure, as always though..

I made a nice find this weekend. We had to go to the Dewey Beach DE area to visit a friend who is in the hospital. Although my wife isn't "too fond" of "car part shopping" on the way to vacations, family events, anniversary trips etc, she does tolerate it ..... in some cases !!! (I keep track of how many times I need to be subjected to a "Christmas Store" or a craft shop etc..... then use that to my advantage !!! )

I did a few extended area Craigslist searches the night before........So we made a half hour detour along the PA/DE border and I found a nice original / OEM NACA hood for less than the price of a replica hood. It was dug out of the back of "his mom's garage", where it's been sitting since 1991. It's in really great shape with no damage, includes the factory vents and inserts and just needs some minor / normal prep for paint. Nice find for sure. It appears (from the underside .... and under the primer on the outside...... that it was once factory yellow.

So I can now check the hood "off my list". And as a bonus, it includes the front trim piece that my car is missing. Now all I need to track down (or buy new) is the passenger fender trim piece and I'll be all set.

where the sidewalk ends full poem

Back