351 Windsor performance Help wanted please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1

Hi All

1973 mach 1 with 351 Windsor 2v

what is best way to make quicker for road not for drag racing , will 4 barrel carb do much , any info would be great .

Thanks Nige

4- barrel intake manifold, dual exhaust, headers, camshaft. Any more will require removing heads, pistons, etc. The engine should be in good shape before you start, with good compression on all cylinders, good oil pressure.

A lower geared rear end will give a real boot in the pants, but makes cruising down the highway problematic, unless you also install an overdrive transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
4- barrel intake manifold, dual exhaust, headers, camshaft. Any more will require removing heads, pistons, etc. The engine should be in good shape before you start, with good compression on all cylinders, good oil pressure.

A lower geared rear end will give a real boot in the pants, but makes cruising down the highway problematic, unless you also install an overdrive transmission.
Thanks can you recommend which carb would be best .

I don't know what you have readily available over there. Without any other performance upgrades I would start with something in the 600 to 650 cfm range.

For ease of use and price I don't think you can beat the Summit Racing carburetors.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/air-fuel-delivery/part-type/carburetors/brand/summit-racing/cfm-range/600-699-cfm?N=4294951509%2B4294921892%2B400304%2B4294512691&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Otherwise, I would go with a Holley.

I don't know if you have an automatic transmission, or not, if you do you'll also have to get the kick down lever for it.

What headers are you running?

We like our Edelbrock 600 carb, it works great with my combo but did require a bit of tuning to get it really dialed in. I have summit racing 4.11 gears in my car now, they are a blast in town but if you drive 60+ alot I wouldn't recommend them. A 3.25 ratio would probably be the ticket here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what you have readily available over there. Without any other performance upgrades I would start with something in the 600 to 650 cfm range.

For ease of use and price I don't think you can beat the Summit Racing carburetors.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/air-fuel-delivery/part-type/carburetors/brand/summit-racing/cfm-range/600-699-cfm?N=4294951509%2B4294921892%2B400304%2B4294512691&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Otherwise, I would go with a Holley.

I don't know if you have an automatic transmission, or not, if you do you'll also have to get the kick down lever for it.
Thanks for the info.

We like our Edelbrock 600 carb, it works great with my combo but did require a bit of tuning to get it really dialed in. I have summit racing 4.11 gears in my car now, they are a blast in town but if you drive 60+ alot I wouldn't recommend them. A 3.25 ratio would probably be the ticket here.
Thanks just looking at the kits at summit racing

Hi All

1973 mach 1 with 351 Windsor 2v

what is best way to make quicker for road not for drag racing , will 4 barrel carb do much , any info would be great .

Thanks Nige
Nige,

It that a replacement engine or a Mexican model? No Windsor in U.S. Mustangs from factory.
How can i find out this information

in 1973 the mustang with a 351 engine would have been a Cleveland and not a Windsor. Easiest way to tell is look at the front of the engine where the distributor is. Does the cooling hose enter directly into the top of the block next to the distributor or does it connect to the intake manifold? Cleveland's have a dry intake manifold so if the cooling hose enters directly into the clock it is a Cleveland. If it is connected to the intake it is likely a Windsor. Post some pics of the front and we should be able to tell you for sure. No one wants to see you buying parts for the wrong engine.

in 1973 the mustang with a 351 engine would have been a Cleveland and not a Windsor. Easiest way to tell is look at the front of the engine where the distributor is. Does the cooling hose enter directly into the top of the block next to the distributor or does it connect to the intake manifold? Cleveland's have a dry intake manifold so if the cooling hose enters directly into the clock it is a Cleveland. If it is connected to the intake it is likely a Windsor. Post some pics of the front and we should be able to tell you for sure. No one wants to see you buying parts for the wrong engine.
heres a picture engine i could be wrong previous owner told me windsor ?

do you see the hose coming from the top of radiator to the engine? The fan shroud in this pic blocks the view of where it terminates. If it goes into the top of the block it is a Cleveland. If it goes to manifold it is likely a Windsor. Can you take a pic close up of where it terminates.

Based on the size (width) and how the coolant hose appears to terminate I would say it is a Cleveland.
ok i will get some pictures tomorrow in the day light thanks

That is a 351C. No 351W's had that shape valve cover. Besides the already great suggestions on how to ID this engine, you can also look at the fuel pump mounting bolts. The 351C has vertical mounting bolts and the 351W are horizontal. This and counting the valve cover bolts are easy peasy!

Back