Sunvisor clip and windscreen panels for Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi team.

Can someone please post a pic of their convertible  sunvisor set up showing the small clip that hold the end of their visors please. My car was dismantaled when i bought it so I don't know how many of these clips I need. I read I need two somewhere but it is described as a centre clip and shows it has a centre divider. Also I would be interested in a photo showing the upholstered panels that sit on the inside of the screen too please. As for the outside edge, my car has no lugs on it or holes for screws so I presume the new screen will need to be sikaflexed in place like a modern screen and I will have to then sikaflex the chrome outer surround. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ballaratcastle,

I am not sure exactly what you are asking for by clips, upholstered panel or screen. Here is a picture of the convertible sunvisor, visor the hook and swing arms. If you can clarify, I may be able to help answer you questions.

I think maybe your description is throwing us Americans off.

I have several convertibles and can get you pics. The center piece that holds the ends of the sun visor is a plastic part with slots for the rubber tipped ends of the visor to snap into. Not sure on your other questions.

Here are some pictures of the outer stainless that goes above the windshield. They are held on with nuts on the studs. You also have to put a strip of thick closed cell foam on the inside to keep the rain water out. The pictures show the old deteriorated foam. The picture with the tape measure shows the gap that must be closed off with the foam. Sometimes the brackets the studs are in break loose from the stainless and you have to get them TIG welded back on. They had tiny spot welds that were not very good.

The stainless pieces on each side are held on with big head phillips screws did not have a pic of them.

what are the side effects of ammonia

Thanks guys. Sorry yes we do use different words for describing the various parts of cars. Our bonnet is your hood, our guards are your fenders. Our windscreen is your windshield  The pictures are great thank you. I will be working on the car today and will take some photos of what I have got that I can't quite work out how to fix to the car.  The photo of the two sunvisor meeting in the middle did answer my question as I have two of that centre centre  clip saved in my CJ pony parts cart but I see I definately only need one. The stainless surrounds for the windscreen does have some threads missing I think. I spoke to an automotive windscreen shop who said chop the rest off and just sika them down but now I'm not sure. I'll take a photo of my windscreen frame as there are no lugs or holes to fix the side stainless covers. Cheers

No way to you want to cut the mounts off and try to stick them on. There has to be a rubber seal under the stainless or water just pours into the car and drips in floor and on dash. If you do not have a set I have spares. Can polish and ship but I am sure it would not be cheap. You should be able to weld a piece where the studs are located and put in new studs. I will get a picture of the foam I used and maybe a set of the stainless to show the stud locations. I can do a sketch also to send for you to weld yours back in. You might have the pieces that broke off and just not know it.

There is a small molded clip that is attached in the center to hold the sun visor ends, it has two sections for each visor to snap into, is that the clip you are referring to?

There is a small molded clip that is attached in the center to hold the sun visor ends, it has two sections for each visor to snap into, is that the clip you are referring to?

Yes exactly. I was reading the blurb on a parts site that said I needed two but it looked like it held both so that's why I thought I would check with you guys. Thanks.

No way to you want to cut the mounts off and try to stick them on. There has to be a rubber seal under the stainless or water just pours into the car and drips in floor and on dash. If you do not have a set I have spares. Can polish and ship but I am sure it would not be cheap. You should be able to weld a piece where the studs are located and put in new studs. I will get a picture of the foam I used and maybe a set of the stainless to show the stud locations. I can do a sketch also to send for you to weld yours back in. You might have the pieces that broke off and just not know it.
Thanks David. I'll be at the factory where my car is stored in about an hour and will take photos of the parts I am trying to piece together for the windscreen. I have the 3 sections of stainless ( sorry thought they were just chrome) and there is the reminants of the black foam

Is this foam available specific for the car of I just source a strip of some self adhesive foam like soundproofing foam I have for the firewall

Hi David. 

Here are the bits I have but I see one of the plates is completely missing not just the stud. I presume that piece is unavailable unless I buy the complete piece. Also the small lugs on the side bits have no attachment points I can see on my windscreen frame on the sides. Also not sure where the top blue panel goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The long blue part [ should be chrome ] goes inside up on the windshield visor brackets and center plastic mount screw to it

They usually rust so someone probably painted it.

It looks like your side pillar trims are broken - I have some good originals

Do you have these ... as I don't see them in your pictures

Item #FM-BS016B

Satin chrome brackets with polished chrome rods. Very nice fit and finish. Sold in pairs. Fits Mustang and Cougar Convertibles.

FM-BS016B_lg.jpg

The 4 four exterior pieces are stainless steel so never rust. Like Don said the inner header is steel and originally had a satin chrome finish to kill any glare it might have. I cleaned mine in molasses tank and sprayed satin clear on to stop the rust. They rust really bad because the foam inside the outer stainless trim goes bad and water gets in and sits inside the chrome piece. My first molasses tank was not deep enough to do the entire part but I have a much deeper one now.

I went to garage and found some parts not in storage. You can see the bracket you are missing. No you cannot just buy the brackets. Most times the stainless is dented and scratched bad. Takes a long time to take the dents out, sand with progressively finer paper and then buff to a mirror finish.

You might dig through your parts binds you might be lucky and find the missing bracket from the top piece.

Maybe Don has a really bad stainless that he would take a bracket off and sell you.

The side pieces , outer A post covers never had any brackets they just attached with a washer head phillips screw one under the fender and two on the A post under the door / window seal. It is a pain to get the one out under the fender you pretty much have to take the fender off. So be sure to install the trim before you put your fenders on.

So you are just missing one of the brackets. You could make another in a vise pretty easy and add the stud. You can also fix the broken studs.

I see the stainless pieces on ebay often but usually bent and missing brackets like you are.

I just went to a home supply and got the closed cell foam to fill in the gap and applied the strip calk where I thought it might still leak.

Thanks. The long blue piece is upholstered and has mounting holes in it but didn't see two holes close together for the plastic bracket. I have the old blue visors complete and also bought new black visors to slide on. The rubber bungs are missing though. Do you know if the square flat plate with the thread is available to buy as I gather it will be difficult to buy another single stainless piece from a set. I intend to wrap the stainless in black and spray the blue vynsl black to match the new standard door panels (old blue ones never arrived with car)

Cheers

Steve

Thanks David. Yes looks like I may have to get a small stainless plate made with a thread. So my centre piece must have been upholstered at some stage to match. Re the side pieces the fenders are back on and all aligned and headlight buckets and grill in so may have to just sika them in place when the time comes and new windscreen is put in. (Old owner cracked it when getting removed)

I have attached a photo of the back sides of the two pillar mouldings. The shorter one has been upholstered properly I gather the two side should be the same and this one has been broken and then shortened and rounded off. 

I have

I have attached a photo of the back sides of the two pillar mouldings. The shorter one has been upholstered properly I gather the two side should be the same and this one has been broken and then shortened and rounded off. 

I have
The A post covers are just molded ABS plastic like the console and other interior parts are.

Back