Wheel dollies dont work!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Maybe I just bought the wrong ones and from the wrong place (Harbor Freight) but the wheel dollies I bought I can barely move the car by myself.  The back end moves around with very little effort but the front end where all the weight is will barely budge.  I can move it if I put a jack under the front cross member and take some of the weight off but then I have to maneuver the jack and the dollies on the front and it really isnt that much easier to move that way.  Is there a better set of dollies out there that would work better?

Yes, these have to be assembled and have the casters put on. If they aren't installed correctly, and tightened down, the casters won't swivel and make the car nearly impossible to move.

The quality of mine is farly good.

When I first bought my car in 2001, I borrowed a set of work-made carts that had 4 American made casters from the 60's. You could practically move the car on them with one hand. After a couple months, I decided I should return them and bought a set of dollies from a tool vendor at a swap meet. After assembly, they took three people to move the car. Took them out one by one and lubed the caster and the wheels with synthetic grease. Much improved movement and only took medium effort by me to move the car.

A lot depends on the quality of the garage floor as well as having bearings in the casters.

I recently upgraded from the steel dollies with bearing wheels to the ones Eastwood sells with little hydraulic jacks in them. I was getting tired of having to get the floor jack out every time to lift the car in order to place or remove the dollies.

Unfortunately, my garage floor has a downward pitch and its a rough concrete. I'm sure things would roll around a lot better if the floor was flat and epoxy coated smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... I have a smooth garage floor and did take apart and lube the caster but the problem seems to be the weight is so heavy on them up front that they wont swivel. The back of the car I can almost push iwth one hand and it moves wherever I want.

Hmmm... I have a smooth garage floor and did take apart and lube the caster but the problem seems to be the weight is so heavy on them up front that they won't swivel.  The back of the car I can almost push iwth one hand and it moves wherever I want.
I had the exact same issue. I put some grease in and that did the trick.

Hmmm... I have a smooth garage floor and did take apart and lube the caster but the problem seems to be the weight is so heavy on them up front that they won't swivel.  The back of the car I can almost push iwth one hand and it moves wherever I want.
I'll try grease again and see if that helps.

::thumb::

I have a set of HF dollies that are about 15 years old. I've moved cars as heavy as 4000 lbs with them with no problem. It's actually one of the few things from HF that actually work. Have you tried swapping front to back to see if it's just the one on the front that are bad?

Steve

I'll try grease again and see if that helps.

::thumb::

Well surprisingly I greased the caster bearings on my Eastwood ones with Sil-glide and I could move around the front end somewhat easier, so it does seem to make a difference. Because of my garage floor, I couldnt do this previously with these dollies or the metal plate ones I had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back