Accident

jpaz

Well, it finally happened got into an acccident with my 72 Q code Mach 1. Trying to avoid getting rear ended and I lost control and went straight into a telephone pole. Ouch, it really hurt. I’m banged up a bit, but ok. The car is hurt much worse though. 

It’s insured through Hagerty and I have an agreed value of 30k. If they total it I would get the 30k minus 500 deductible. I’m really bummed and not sure what to do.

I don’t know how to do body work, I’m good with the mechanics but not the body.

I paid 24k for it and I put a few thousand into it, so I think if the total it I might have to take it. I don’t think I could get that much if I had sold it before I got in the accident.

I have another forum member tha lives real close and he’s going to come over to check it out. He restored his 71 Mach 1 and knows a lot about the body stuff. Here’s the awful pics. Let me know what you guys think,  Thanks, John

131117B1-AD81-46EF-84D8-87D1DF322A0F.thumb.jpeg.cb137c2663805e8e960daa0c6431db54.jpeg

2C5E502A-0449-48DF-83A0-8B8DD846C2B1.thumb.jpeg.3d39474f841fc34bc2f005afbe33d0a3.jpeg

35BD719B-EC10-40E9-AFEA-FA61F79ABDD3.thumb.jpeg.c2d5714b3927f3619e278af9c37f3b23.jpeg

F2CE1689-3BD1-45D1-A502-ECBA88171A2F.thumb.jpeg.836a7c46e7efd2c51dd2576dd1f3072f.jpeg

John - 72 Q Code

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. That's bad. Glad you are OK. Sorry about the car.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Good to read that you don’t have severe injuries! I saw a photo of your car on Facebook a couple of days ago as well when it was wrapped around a pole... Good luck with the restoration or finding a new one.

If you want to save it consider a front clip for it.  Find a solid coupe somewhere and cut the front clip.  If you take it into a shop to have this done (which I recommend) make sure they have a frame table or mustang body jig to make sure it is attached and aligned properly.  I definitely think it is worth saving.  You could go with new panels if you prefer just more $$

[attachment=47994]

[attachment=47995]

[attachment=47996]

[attachment=47997]

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Oh nooo, I saw the photo on facebook and some of the comments were just awful I thought. Glad to read you're OK! Personally I'd want to save it. Surely it starts to look better after you peel the replacable items off already. And grabbing parts from a scrapped 72 sounds like a plan.

Won't the insurance pay for repairs? might be cheaper than 30K?

Good luck!

If the insurance company does decide to total it, I would suggest working out a deal to take slightly less than the 30K and keep the car with clean title. I believe this is allowed in MI. It isn't in some states.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Here is the photo from the Facebook page.  I promise I do not mean to add salt to fresh wounds/aches.  Just thought it would share with others the degree of impact you sustained.

[attachment=47998]

BKDunha

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions guys! I cannot do that kind of work on this or any car, I’m disabled so I can only do so much.

Ya, Vincent there sure are a lot of jerks on FB.

I still need the insurance adjuster to come look at it yet, then I’ll go from there I guess.

If they do total it , it would be hard to not take the payout cause I don’t think I would get that much if I sold it.

I really don’t want to lose my car, but I my not have any choice. Well see, this really sucks! :huh: :@

John - 72 Q Code

That is just too nice a car to total it. As bad as it looks it can still be repaired. The new whole front clip might make sense here. As stated above, be sure the shop has the right tools and experience. Here in NM we see too many deals where a shop will take a down payment, then nothing happens, and they finally give up but have already spent the money.

It is all too common. Glad that you are OK! Ed Raver in NM

Here is the photo from the Facebook page.  I promise I do not mean to add salt to fresh wounds/aches.  Just thought it would share with others the degree of impact you sustained.

No problem bkdunha, but ya getting tired of this pic. Anyway, that is me on the far left signing some paperwork with the ems guy.

John - 72 Q Code

Glad you're OK. Sorry about your car, I suppose the idiot that almost rear ended you just drove away like nothing happened.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Glad you're OK. Sorry about your car, I suppose the idiot that almost rear ended you just drove away like nothing happened.

Yep, they just kept on going, probably didn’t even realize what happened to me, or didn’t want to get in trouble. I don’t know but I have had so many close calls this kinda doesn’t surprise me.

John - 72 Q Code

Glad you are OK!

I too think the car can be saved but as has been mentioned, be very careful of repair shops who will just take a huge down payment then never touch the car again! Sounds like your friend may be able to help you manage that part!! Good luck.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Sorry about your car and I wish you the best going forward! That's one of my worst fears once my car is finished. I've seen pictures of how these cars fair in accidents and it doesn't look good.

If you can save it...do it! You will miss it otherwise. Or hopefully they would sell the car to someone willing to put in the work to fix it so it's not scrapped and then you could use that $30K to find another one. :)

Stang Life!

Stangs.jpg

Sorry about the car, glad you are okay- My advice, and that is all it is, is for you to take the money and buy one that is done-while that car can be repaired, there is going to be a lot to do and it is going to take some serious time and dedication.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Sorry about your Mustang and I am glad you are okay. This is my worst fear when i drive around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

That sucks... Health is first, so that is a good thing that came out of this. The car is at home so you can take some time to decide what you want to do, once you address the insurance aspect. The internet sucks, especially when these personal type scenarios get strewn all over... You will make the best decision for you, moving forward.

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Thanks again guys for the nice replies and I really do appreciate all the advice. I just looked under the car and the engine cross member looks fine, engine mounts look ok, and the front cross member even looks alright. All the steering linkage looks good and the front sway bar doesn’t look like it’s damaged. Both doors open and close same as before and the gaps look the same.

Could just look a lot worse than it is, but I still need to check it out more. Plus see what Hagerty says. Will let you know what happens.

John - 72 Q Code

Those are all hopeful signs. The insurance company is probably going to come in high at the repair estimate as they will go with new repro parts and astronomical labor rates. The shop that did the metal work on my car had it for 5 weeks to get all of that metal work done. They only do metal work and no paint. I specifically looked for that to know the quality of work underneath. As others have stated earlier and I neglected in my post we are all grateful you came out OK and no one else was injured. Like you said keep us posted and if you come to a decision point and need the name of the shop that did my work let me know. They were good guys back in 2010 when my metal work was done.

Graverobbers-012.jpg

BKDunha

Sorry for your accident and glad not hurt worse.

I have a Mach 1 that took a similar hit from a pole back in the 70's. It was totaled and I purchased off the insurance auction yard. There was a buckle in the roof on it and when I pulled the seats and carpet out the floor had some waves added. It would have need to be cut behind the front seat and entire front clip put on. Was not worth it even with only I think 35,000 miles on it.

Of course if you can work it out with the insurance company I do know that in Michigan they will give you clear title. I bought the car in the pictures couple years ago and got clear, clean title not salvage with the car. It was a one owner beautiful car. The insurance company totaled it and also gave him the car back. I bought it for $1,500 for all the great parts it had.

If you do try to fix of course the first thing is off the the frame machine. There has to be some twist for sure since hit on one side. The car in picture still drove, doors opened and closed and radiator not busted.

Sometimes inside the engine can be damaged also. With the sudden stop the weight of the crankshaft can shift forward and crack the block where the center web is with the thrust bearing. Saw that on NASCAR engines after a crash. Still ran but block was cracked. When Dale Earnhardt crashed it sheared the head bolts off his engine.

So maybe you can get total and get the car and get it fixed. They usually total if over 75% of value I think.

This car had $35,000 coverage but lowered to either $16,000 or $18,000 just before crash. He was hit in rear and drove into another car.

100-2527.jpg

100-2530.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David