Accident

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Well, it finally happened got into an acccident with my 72 Q code Mach 1. Trying to avoid getting rear ended and I lost control and went straight into a telephone pole. Ouch, it really hurt. I’m banged up a bit, but ok. The car is hurt much worse though. 

It’s insured through Hagerty and I have an agreed value of 30k. If they total it I would get the 30k minus 500 deductible. I’m really bummed and not sure what to do.

I don’t know how to do body work, I’m good with the mechanics but not the body.

I paid 24k for it and I put a few thousand into it, so I think if the total it I might have to take it. I don’t think I could get that much if I had sold it before I got in the accident.

I have another forum member tha lives real close and he’s going to come over to check it out. He restored his 71 Mach 1 and knows a lot about the body stuff. Here’s the awful pics. Let me know what you guys think,  Thanks, John

131117B1-AD81-46EF-84D8-87D1DF322A0F.jpeg

2C5E502A-0449-48DF-83A0-8B8DD846C2B1.jpeg

35BD719B-EC10-40E9-AFEA-FA61F79ABDD3.jpeg

F2CE1689-3BD1-45D1-A502-ECBA88171A2F.jpeg

Good to read that you don’t have severe injuries! I saw a photo of your car on Facebook a couple of days ago as well when it was wrapped around a pole... Good luck with the restoration or finding a new one.

If you want to save it consider a front clip for it.  Find a solid coupe somewhere and cut the front clip.  If you take it into a shop to have this done (which I recommend) make sure they have a frame table or mustang body jig to make sure it is attached and aligned properly.  I definitely think it is worth saving.  You could go with new panels if you prefer just more $$

[attachment=47994]

[attachment=47995]

[attachment=47996]

[attachment=47997]

Oh nooo, I saw the photo on facebook and some of the comments were just awful I thought. Glad to read you're OK! Personally I'd want to save it. Surely it starts to look better after you peel the replacable items off already. And grabbing parts from a scrapped 72 sounds like a plan.

Won't the insurance pay for repairs? might be cheaper than 30K?

Good luck!

If the insurance company does decide to total it, I would suggest working out a deal to take slightly less than the 30K and keep the car with clean title. I believe this is allowed in MI. It isn't in some states.

Here is the photo from the Facebook page.  I promise I do not mean to add salt to fresh wounds/aches.  Just thought it would share with others the degree of impact you sustained.

[attachment=47998]

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions guys! I cannot do that kind of work on this or any car, I’m disabled so I can only do so much.

Ya, Vincent there sure are a lot of jerks on FB.

I still need the insurance adjuster to come look at it yet, then I’ll go from there I guess.

If they do total it , it would be hard to not take the payout cause I don’t think I would get that much if I sold it.

I really don’t want to lose my car, but I my not have any choice. Well see, this really sucks! :huh: :mad:

That is just too nice a car to total it. As bad as it looks it can still be repaired. The new whole front clip might make sense here. As stated above, be sure the shop has the right tools and experience. Here in NM we see too many deals where a shop will take a down payment, then nothing happens, and they finally give up but have already spent the money.

It is all too common. Glad that you are OK! Ed Raver in NM

Here is the photo from the Facebook page.  I promise I do not mean to add salt to fresh wounds/aches.  Just thought it would share with others the degree of impact you sustained.
No problem bkdunha, but ya getting tired of this pic. Anyway, that is me on the far left signing some paperwork with the ems guy.

Glad you're OK. Sorry about your car, I suppose the idiot that almost rear ended you just drove away like nothing happened.
Yep, they just kept on going, probably didn’t even realize what happened to me, or didn’t want to get in trouble. I don’t know but I have had so many close calls this kinda doesn’t surprise me.

Glad you are OK!

I too think the car can be saved but as has been mentioned, be very careful of repair shops who will just take a huge down payment then never touch the car again! Sounds like your friend may be able to help you manage that part!! Good luck.

Ray

Sorry about your car and I wish you the best going forward! That's one of my worst fears once my car is finished. I've seen pictures of how these cars fair in accidents and it doesn't look good.

If you can save it...do it! You will miss it otherwise. Or hopefully they would sell the car to someone willing to put in the work to fix it so it's not scrapped and then you could use that $30K to find another one. :)

Sorry about the car, glad you are okay- My advice, and that is all it is, is for you to take the money and buy one that is done-while that car can be repaired, there is going to be a lot to do and it is going to take some serious time and dedication.

Back