Accident

jpaz

So after seeing how stretched out my timing chain is (they sent me a short video) and numerous other things, I’ve given them the go ahead to go thru the engine. The PO used some cheap stuff to restore my car and I’m not really sure what was done to the engine other than him saying it was rebuilt. He didn’t do it himself, so I don’t know what was really done. Tired of not knowing what was, or wasn’t done.

I’ve had to replace some freeze plugs with the motor in the car and that was a bitch! It’s because they used cheap steel plugs instead of brass. I’m sure the other ones are going to go sooner or later, so it’s just another reason to not trust what was done to this motor.

The shop has the front of my car apart anyway, so I’m just going to have them pull the motor and check it out. I’m having them clean it, magna flux it and measure it all up. Then I’ll know what going on with it and I will have it built properly. It would be stupid of me not to.

The shop working on my car said they use a shop called Rogers Crankshaft and Machine near their shop in Saginaw, for all their engine machining. He also mentioned  they do work for Roush.

So anyway just a bit of an update to this accident thread. And I gotta say that I’m very happy I found this place that’s working on my car. They have been great so far.

John - 72 Q Code

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I'm a little late seeing this thread so I apologize. I'm glad to hear you are ok and that the car is repairable. We all dread what happened to you but it looks like everythings working out.

I've visited Mustang Craftsman and agree that they look like a great outfit and will be looking forward to seeing how your car looks when completed. I've got a car that I need work done on and it's between them doing everything and a company on Telegraph north of 96 that does exceptional body and paint work and then they would leave assembly up to me.

We should plan a Detroit area get together sometime as it seems there are a number of Detroit/Windsor members here.

Mark

71 Mach 1 J code - Japanese export

72 Convertible f code - first car

Numerous other Fords

Hey Mark, no need to apologize. Sometimes these threads get kinda buried and if you don’t keep up it’s hard to read all of them.

Anyway I’m ok, feeling much better now. Plus with the fact that my car is at a place that I feel comfortable with makes it better. I am really happy with them so far, and they have great communication with me. I have even decided to have them rebuild my engine, which I wasn’t planning on. But once they sent me a short video of how stretched out my timing chain is, that convinced me that it needs to be gone through. And so I may as well just have them do it. They told me originally it would take them about 4 weeks to get body and paint done, but now I’m not sure how much more time it will take. No rush it’s winter now.

Thanks again for your concern and that would be great to get some of the members together for a meeting Mustang meet up! I will let you know how things are going with the Mustang Craftsmen and if you have any questions or want to see how my car is turning out, just keep check out this thread. You can also pm me anytime. Take care.

John - 72 Q Code

John,

We should plan a Detroit area get together sometime as it seems there are a number of Detroit/Windsor members here.

Mark, sounds like a plan to have a members meet up. How about next year's All Ford Show at Ford HQ? Hopefully still on!

If you get any details on when, please PM me.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Is that the shelby show in June or the MCA show in August right after the dream cruise?

I think it’s the one right after the dream cruise.

Yes, the one in August was what I was thinking as I didn't know about the Shelby show in June. 

Maybe a trip over the border to the Shelby show might be worth thinking about as well though. What date in June?

Geoff.

Well, they are going to town on my car. Engine is at machine shop and being all checked out. Should find out more tomorrow, didn’t get a chance to talk to them today. 

In the meantime, I’m figuring out my engine build. Picked up some nice 71 quench chamber heads to use, can’t wait! Been reading all the stuff that George Pence has written. Lots of great ideas that I’ll be using, and I sure have learned a lot about the Cleveland. More to come... :)

E2251594-00A4-425E-8BDC-2C88FD4DEB8B.thumb.jpeg.f91488a05edb442465cfaff15bee7ee5.jpegC27E4528-0CBD-44BE-BF3A-C7520AFF64DD.thumb.jpeg.bf708f3bc2e20a3076d79e6079815c29.jpeg37047012-D73A-4C38-A6D5-DDFFC5E42B39.thumb.jpeg.9a8cde31e7e675b4b0d247f077b8d95a.jpeg

John - 72 Q Code

Well, they are going to town on my car. Engine is at machine shop and being all checked out. Should find out more tomorrow, didn’t get a chance to talk to them today. 

In the meantime, I’m figuring out my engine build. Picked up some nice 71 quench chamber heads to use, can’t wait! Been reading all the stuff that George Pence has written. Lots of great ideas that I’ll be using, and I sure have learned a lot about the Cleveland. More to come... :)

Looking good John. I am glad to see things are moving along. Keep me in the loop on when the Detroit/Windsor area members are going to meet up.

John J

• 4 weeks later...

Well, things are moving along pretty good. They had to replace the front cross member. It had more damage to it than I thought, of course, so they replaced it with a new one. And as you can see in the picture, the new radiator support is in too. Paul, the shop owner said that it’s all squared up, everything went back together well, and can’t hardly tell anything ever happened. Still have a ways to go, but so far so good.

291CD65A-8F2A-43AC-898F-6C7B2001A070.thumb.jpeg.a7410fb6220a72d97b4e0d206297081a.jpeg

John - 72 Q Code

Great to hear. It seems that they are doing a good job.

Also, it is nice to know that you are in a shop that knows Mustangs. Looking at the picture parked next to a GT500!

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Now that I look at the picture again, it looks like the cowl is raised by the driver's side or it could be a matter of the picture's angle.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Looking good John. I am glad to see things are moving along. Keep me in the loop on when the Detroit/Windsor area members are going to meet up.

John J

Yeah me too. Ditto that.

Looking good. Wonder if the GT 500 is a genuine one?

Stanglover

aka, Geoff.

Geoff.

Now that I look at the picture again, it looks like the cowl is raised by the driver's side or it could be a matter of the picture's angle.

I think it’s the angle or something, that’s the way it was before. Must be the washer pump making it look like it.

John - 72 Q Code

Ya they’re doing a great job!

Yes, that’s a genuine GT 500 and on the other side is a 69 Mach 1 that was pulled out of a barn.

Check out their website for more pics. They have a FB page too. It’s kinda cool, gives you a panoramic view of some of the cars being worked on. The site is Mustang Craftsmen.com

John - 72 Q Code

Looking good John!  They need to slow down a bit to make sure it stays there most of the winter?

Yes, and I told him that today too. But he said that he talked to the machine shop today and said he was trying to get my work done soon. I keep adding stuff for them to do, but it’s gotta stop! Lol

I’m thinking it will be at least another 3-4 weeks, probably more,but that’s cause of the holidays too. Hey my birthday is next month, so I’m getting a real nice present! Really looking forward to getting it done and back, but I’m also being patient and not bugging them either. Want it done right, and they are doing great work.

John - 72 Q Code

Looks like good progress. I understand the temptation to get everything tackled at one time. Just keep your budget in mind. Looks like a great shop. Hopefully your birthday present will be ready close to your actual birthday. Keep us posted please.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Looks like good progress.  I understand the temptation to get everything tackled at one time.  Just keep your budget in mind.  Looks like a great shop.  Hopefully your birthday present will be ready close to your actual birthday.  Keep us posted please.

Ya I wasn’t really planning on getting the engine rebuilt. I had already told them to match the rest of the car accents to the correct black that’s going on the hood. 

But I’m doing the engine cause of all the iffy things I have seen done to it. The PO used a lot of cheap stuff. So I did kinda figure that I would have to rebuild this motor sooner than later, but man, things sure have gone up since the last time I did a motor!

Actually I’m probably saving my self some money by having it done now. If I did it, then I’m sure I’d chip the nice new paint job or screw something up, lol!

John - 72 Q Code