Accident

jpaz

Your attitude, efforts and interest in helping other s (all here) with info and involvement should be commended !! I took notice to the "insurance thing" in a prior post as we have all been forced to capitulate to using inferior products per "fine pint" of policies !

For years I kept almost every NOS part for a front end collision with a SVO Mustang -so that the unfortunate (that had accidents) could show insurance companies that Ford parts were available. (Only once did a company accept the amounts and pay for Ford parts for a repair)

Too late now - but those parts needed for your car are avail in NOS Ford (red oxide) and with the NOS front bumper could have gone a long way to getting you covered. (It sounds like you are -so let's hope no one needs these parts or a quote again)

Mark

P.S. AND AGAIN, thankfully you weren't hurt

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your attitude, efforts and interest in helping other s (all here) with info and involvement should be commended !!     I took notice to the "insurance thing" in a prior post as we have all been forced to  capitulate to using  inferior products per "fine pint" of policies !

For years I kept almost every NOS part for a front end collision with a SVO Mustang -so that the unfortunate (that had accidents) could show insurance companies that Ford parts were available.  (Only once did a company accept the amounts and pay for Ford parts for a repair)

Too late now  - but  those parts needed for your car are avail in NOS Ford (red oxide) and with the NOS front bumper could have gone a long way to getting you covered.  (It sounds like you are -so let's hope no one needs these parts or a quote again)  

Mark

P.S.  AND AGAIN, thankfully you weren't hurt

Thanks for the kind words Mark

John - 72 Q Code

John if the body shop doesn't find the grill bracket I sent you, let me know I will send you another one for the cost of shipping -

I think you already covered enough of add on's with the door / fender and engine issues.

ALSO since Mark brought up NOS - OEM parts

Just a heads up for everyone here ... look on your daily driver insurance ...

My insurance company made it an optional coverage  ... USE OEM PARTS  VS LKQ = like, kind, quality

it is pretty cheap option depending what you drive ...

• 2 weeks later...

Is your car home yet?

No not yet, but it’s mostly done. Just waiting on headers to come in and it still needs a front end alignment. As a matter of fact I went there yesterday to check it out. I think it turned out really nice.

2877-D486-6373-4979-A375-7-C69430-CF26-D.jpg

B765358-D-D2-D5-4-F36-9-F07-C6721875-DD23.jpg

E4370-A62-DAE9-4470-9752-59503-BBFF97-A.jpg

69-DE0-D27-6-DD6-4-C43-824-C-57-CA76-F473-E1.jpg

908-E8-A8-F-03-AA-451-E-B87-F-DDA12-D50-D0-DC.jpg

John - 72 Q Code

It will be a show winner at the All Ford Show in Dearborn on August 18th!!

Maybe I won't want to compete in the "Judged" class now! Looks awesome John. A costly accident, but look at what you have now. Just don't drive where lampposts are lurking!!

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Maybe I won't want to compete in the "Judged" class now! Looks awesome John. A costly accident, but look at what you have now. Just don't drive where lampposts are lurking!!

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, really appreciate the kind words! It would be nice to snag a trophy, but it is still just a driver. No big expectations in that department, just happy still have it. I thought for awhile they would total it. And it came within 1k of it being totaled! 

So ya it sure did turn out to be quite a costly accident, mainly because I had the engine completely rebuilt and I also had them match all the black on the car, including the stripes. But now it’s better than ever and I have a new car again. I couldn’t agree more with you about no more utility poles! Lol

John - 72 Q Code

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, really appreciate the kind words! It would be nice to snag a trophy, but it is still just a driver. No big expectations in that department, just happy still have it. I thought for awhile they would total it. And it came within 1k of it being totaled! 

So ya it sure did turn out to be quite a costly accident, mainly because I had the engine completely rebuilt and I also had them match all the black on the car, including the stripes. But now it’s better than ever and I have a new car again. I couldn’t agree more with you about no more utility poles! Lol

I'm pretty sure the "Judged Class" is not concours by any means, just the best of rest. Mark will know better. Besides, when you enter judged, you get a goody bag!!

See you there all being well.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Looking back at page 1 of this thread and these latest pictures, looks like the drama ends up very well.

Gorgeous!

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Looking back at page 1 of this thread and these latest pictures, looks like the drama ends up very well.

Gorgeous!

Thanks Fabrice, they were really great to work with. I did have to point out a few things that they didn’t know about, but they listened to what I wanted and did what I asked for. And they did the same for me. I had a few other issues that I didn’t know about that weren’t related to the accident and they let me know and I had them take care it. I think I made a really good choice of where to have it fixed.

John - 72 Q Code

Car is looking fantastic. Looks like you did find someone that does good work on a Mustang.

This is not meant to be critical but if you do show the car the hood lock brackets on the radiator support were zinc plated with clear chromate not the gold look. I would say yours got painted black due to wear which is what a drive has.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Car is looking fantastic. Looks like you did find someone that does good work on a Mustang.

This is not meant to be critical but if you do show the car the hood lock brackets on the radiator support were zinc plated with clear chromate not the gold look. I would say yours got painted black due to wear which is what a drive has.

Thanks David, they do great work and really seem to care about what they are doing.

And yes, I meant to have them paint the hood lock brackets but I forgot. I was just going to have them match the hood hinges. I was a little bummed that they didn’t catch that and I pointed it out to them yesterday. No big deal for me to do it, they will give me some paint to do them and some back, and yellow for any future touch ups.

John - 72 Q Code

I would have to agree that the car looks great!

I have been kicking around paying somebody to paint my 72, but vetting potential shops is such a pain in the @$$ that I had stalled out on that phase of my project.

Thanks for sharing your experience as you’ve possibly solved my problem!

Matt

I would have to agree that the car looks great!

I have been kicking around paying somebody to paint my 72, but vetting potential shops is such a pain in the @$$ that I had stalled out on that phase of my project.

Thanks for sharing your experience as you’ve possibly solved my problem!

Hey if you wanted to go check out my car and their work it’s going to be there for at least another week or two. I have no problem with that and I’m sure Paul, the owner would be fine with that too. 

Even if you just want to talk to me, give me a pm and I’d be glad to answer any questions you may have. I’ll give you my phone number if you want.

No problem sharing this experience with all you guys. I sure hope it helps, even though I do hope no one else gets into an accident!

John - 72 Q Code

Is your car home yet?

No not yet, but it’s mostly done. Just waiting on headers to come in and it still needs a front end alignment. As a matter of fact I went there yesterday to check it out. I think it turned out really nice.

Looks Great!  i love the yellow black combo too.  Can I ask how much they ended up charging you?  I know you were concerned about that in an original post.  Just curious if you are willing to share.

kcmash

Is your car home yet?

Looks Great!  i love the yellow black combo too.  Can I ask how much they ended up charging you?  I know you were concerned about that in an original post.  Just curious if you are willing to share.

kcmash

I wasn’t really worried about that, this was covered by insurance. I was a little worried that it was totaled though.

The car was yellow and black already, but the black was gloss. I had them change the gloss to the correct semi flat, but that didn’t change the cost of it. The only extra charge for paint I have to pay for is to match the black for the rest of the car. I’m not sure how much that is yet. Still waiting to get exhaust done and then I’ll get the bill with the extra stuff I had them do.

Now if you meant how much the cost of the damage was, it ended up being about 21k. Initial insurance estimate was about 14k and the supplementals adde$ up to another 6400 ish.

John - 72 Q Code

John,

It looks absolutely fantastic! So glad it all turned out well for you. Will be a lot of fun to drive around when it gets back home. Congrats.

Thanks Jeff, ya I can’t wait to drive it.

John - 72 Q Code

John,

Car has come out great for sure.

I've followed the Mustsng Craftsman on Facebook for a few years and have visited their facility twice as I have a few cars that will need restoration in the future and they are on my short list. One thing that your experience has confirmed for me is that it doesn't appear they are very knowledgeable on the details related to 71-73 Mustangs. I wouldn't say don't bring your vehicle there because of this but I would say be prepared to provide the details of what you expect. I can't remember seeing another 71-73 on their site or Facebook page in the time that I have been following them.

I think your car will do well at the Dearborn show. Hopefully you bring it out so that a bunch of us can get together. Would also be nice to see you up at Mustsng Alley as they 71-73s were hard to come by on 9 mile.

Mark

71 Mach 1 J code - Japanese export

72 Convertible f code - first car

Numerous other Fords

John,

Car has come out great for sure.

I've followed the Mustsng Craftsman on Facebook for a few years and have visited their facility twice as I have a few cars that will need restoration in the future and they are on my short list.  One thing that your experience has confirmed for me is that it doesn't appear they are very knowledgeable on the details related to 71-73 Mustangs.  I wouldn't say don't bring your vehicle there because of this but I would say be prepared to provide the details of what you expect.  I can't remember seeing another 71-73 on their site or Facebook page in the time that I have been following them.

I think your car will do well at the Dearborn show.  Hopefully you bring it out so that a bunch of us can get together.  Would also be nice to see you up at Mustsng Alley as they 71-73s were hard to come by on 9 mile.

Thanks mwilson7, they did do a great job on it.

Well, I wouldn’t say that they aren’t very knowledgeable about the whole car, just a couple of paint layout issues. They were using the correct pattern for the hood, but went by that stupid Mustang Monthly article that screwedup a lot of hoods with it being set to far back from front. And Paul also didn’t know about the change in 72 to the black on the door sill area. He was going by his 71 for reference. Should be no more issues with either of those areas anymore. And I guess the only other thing they missed was was not painting the hood lock brackets, but I did mention it to them and they apologized. Would not surprise me if they were to paint them before I get it back.

But you are correct that my car is the only 7123 there. They definitely do more of the 70 and earlier cars, but that’s where the money is, right? Anyway I’m sure glad I found theses guys they were really great to work with and if you have a certain request they will definitely listen to you. And would recommend knowing what you want done, which I’m sure you do.

I’m planning going to the all Ford show for sure and hopefully we can meet up there. I won’t be at Mustang alley though, I already have a place to park car on Woodward just north of 10 mile for the day.

And by the way if you want to check out my car it’s still there for another week or two. Or if you have any questions shoot me a pm if you want. Thanks!

John - 72 Q Code

Car does look very good. Kudo's to the shop and it sounds like your experience with them was good. Definitely something others on the site may need to know. Hope you get her back soon and spring is just around the corner.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Car does look very good.  Kudo's to the shop and it sounds like your experience with them was good.  Definitely something others on the site may need to know.  Hope you get her back soon and spring is just around the corner.

Thanks bkdunha, it’s not perfect but I’m very happy with the end result, especially the color match and the black paint. And it was really nice to have my car done so quick too. I did have a great experience and I recommend them highly. 

Man I sure hope spring gets here soon, or at least we have a spring this year. Last year was horrible here. Anyway thanks again!

John - 72 Q Code