Accident

jpaz

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear you have her back home now, must be a relief

Yes it is tempting with a fresh engine to give it full noise but best to let everything bed in first

Took mine for a quick spin yesterday and like yours it sure lights up the tires easy

My next project will be to make some traction bars!

Enjoy driving it again

P1030238.jpg

jpaz,

Great you have it home and can enjoy it again.

BTW there is really no break in. After the first heat cycle the rings just gradually wear. The cam broke in or didn't break in in the first few minutes.

Race engines we built made a couple pulls then oil change cut the filter open and if no metal wide open from then. I don't think I ever saw any that needed anything but some timing and carb changes.

Now in the old days Ford use to put the engines on an electric motor to turn them over to wear in the tight bearings, lol.

It is either right or it is wrong go for full throttle hope you are use to traction loc if you have it.

Have a blast and enjoy it.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I was always on the side of break it in the way you're going to drive it. David is right, not a lot of break in required on modern engine materials. One qualifier, that's as long as everything, mainly bearings, pistons, and valve stems are properly clearanced, which I'm sure your engine builder did, sounds like he knows which end of the wrench to use.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Took a while but there now a healthy and safe yellow beauty in your garage!

This story ends pretty well.

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Beautiful car.

Great looking car. I am glad you have it back. Enjoy, right in time for summer!

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I have now had it out for a few drives and it’s running great. No issues with anything. Even took it on the freeway today for the first time, hit 80 very easily and everything sounds and felt good. Here’s a couple of pics with the sun finally shining on it, lol

64702-FA9-0-B21-4-EB8-A655-16-BB2304-B398.jpg

517-BF3-DA-3-DED-4167-A592-B434-B5297799.jpg

forum image hosting

John - 72 Q Code

Yes John, looking great. Hope to see it up close in August at the All Ford show in Dearborn, August 19th.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff.

Looking very forward to that!

John - 72 Q Code

Yes John, looking great. Hope to see it up close in August at the All Ford show in Dearborn, August 19th.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff.

Looking very forward to that!

Sounds like a plan, man! Just hope all this crappy weather changes by then.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!