Center console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalis

Reaction score
My Car
I have a Mustang Mach 1. 1973. It got 39000 miles on it since new. I am the second owner. Bought it 2018. Car has been in Sweden since 1973.

Working with the interior. Anoyone know where I can by a brown cap instead of black? Would be good to have support of a emblem or something that could hide the holes in the console as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably have to search for used one in good condition in color you want. I've tried vinyl dye / paint over the years. but it eventually rubs off which meant periodic re-painting. I've never had good luck with 'adhesion promoter' since some brands (Bulldog) are not compatible with lacquer-based dyes and vinyl paints.

Bummer on those holes. Maybe some kind of fabricated cell phone sleeve setup? Other option might be nylon push fastener w/rounded caps painted to come close to match as close as possible.

The plastic is ABS. I have restored a couple of these, but then I weld plastics. You might be able to buy a piece of ABS from Amazon. I have bought some 3mm thick (1/8") 12"x12", but only in black unfortunately. It would need to be painted. SEM makes the best plastic primers and paints if you can get that brand in Sweden. ABS can be glued with ABS pipe cement IF YOU'RE CAREFUL!!. Your best bet overall would be to look for another in ginger either as a parts piece or replace the one you have. Not going to be easy for sure.

Why do people do this to these hard to get parts????

Geoff.

I have used a piece of masking tape over the hole and then fill the hole from the other side with JB Weld epoxy. Use the regular non-painters type of masking tape with the heavier amount of glue. The masking tape adds texture to the finished surface and the glue keeps it from sticking to the epoxy. You need to make sure the area to be filled is completely horizontal to allow the epoxy to settle and dry flat. On larger holes, I would use a piece of double stick tape and a thin rigid piece of wood or plastic and stick it to the masking tape (after firmly adhering the masking tape over the hole) to keep the tape from bulging when you fill it. When dry, carefully remove the tape and then paint with your plastic paint of choice. Also works well on deep scratches. I have never tried to fill a hole bigger than an inch or tried it on soft flexible plastic.

I did this with a set of rear quarter panels that had nasty speaker and mounting holes in them.

Daniel Carpenter does make the console lids but only in black. I just painted a ginger one the other day withe SEM paint from NPD National Parts Depo. The paint works great. The lid on the one I did was bad worn so could not get good finish. I would think it would stick to a new black on fine.

Fixing the holes would be pretty much impossible and hiding them would be better for sure.

For small cracks and missing pieces I take pieces of old grills and sand the material and get some powder. I then mix with acetone and make my own liquid ABS filler. You can fix around broken screw holes and such.

When you put the screws in to hold the console always wire brush the threads and apply wax to help them not pull the threads out of your carpet. Never tighten them all the way down either to prevent breaking out the screw holes.

Daniel Carpenter does make the console lids but only in black. I just painted a ginger one the other day withe SEM paint from NPD National Parts Depo. The paint works great. The lid on the one I did was bad worn so could not get good finish. I would think it would stick to a new black on fine.

Fixing the holes would be pretty much impossible and hiding them would be better for sure.

For small cracks and missing pieces I take pieces of old grills and sand the material and get some powder. I then mix with acetone and make my own liquid ABS filler. You can fix around broken screw holes and such.

When you put the screws in to hold the console always wire brush the threads and apply wax to help them not pull the threads out of your carpet. Never tighten them all the way down either to prevent breaking out the screw holes.
 David, a couple of good useful tips there. As I said, I can weld plastics so finding other ways to successfully fix holes or broken parts is particularly interesting.

As for painting the lid or other parts for that matter, the first step is to remove any trace of mold release, wax or polish from the surface. Use a zero VOC cleaner or DAWN original dishwashing soap.

SEM also have a flexible plastic prep/primers. Other brands are available for this, but I have no idea what is available in Sweden for our friend there.

** I just took a look on the SEM website for flexible paint systems and there is some very good tips on preparation and how to do it.**

With repairing this stuff, getting a good finish is the hardest part, so sometimes finding a neat cover-up might be the best result as others have posted.

Geoff.

To remove the center console.How is it best done?

Slide open ashtray door and remove two screws holding down front upper section with clock. It lifts right up. Disconnect junction plug for clock wires.

Main console body is held to transmission hump with the screws along the base. That's it.

Apply the parking brake or chak the tires. Slide the shifter back to drive to help provide clearance when removing the console. Remove the shifter T handle with a small allen wrench. Remove the eight sheetmetal screws along the side of the console. Disconnect the clock wire harness. Lift the console over the shifter while sliding it back from under the dash.

Hi I have the console fixed now regarding the ugly holes. But do anyone now where I can buy a cap for the console in ginger color. Black is all I can find.

Hi I have the console fixed now regarding the ugly holes. But do anyone now where I can buy a cap for the console in ginger color. Black is all I can find.
Black is all they make you will need to paint it Ginger. NPD had the correct paint. I would have to get the number off a can. There are three different shades of Ginger used in the car I think.

Daniel Carpenter makes them and they are a perfect match inside and out. I have used 4 or 5 of them no issues.

My insert to the console was broken. Fixed it with a cutting board I bought. Cost 1 dollar...

Black is all they make you will need to paint it Ginger. NPD had the correct paint. I would have to get the number off a can. There are three different shades of Ginger used in the car I think.

Daniel Carpenter makes them and they are a perfect match inside and out. I have used 4 or 5 of them no issues.
Thanks, this is how it looks.

Working with the interior. Anoyone know where I can by a brown cap instead of black? Would be good to have support of a emblem or something that could hide the holes in the console as well.
 The ginger flexible vinyl dye works well enough and it is easy to respray if/when needed. Just clean the oils off the lid really well. I use NPD's SEM product.

The holes in the plastic are hard to repair or hide.. If you cannot find a good replacement, then this may be an option. What I did is use a two-part plastic epoxy (J B Weld or other). What I did was to use a textured piece of vinyl. I applied a little vaseline to keep it from sticking to the epoxy and taped it over the hole(s) on the visible side. I then clamped a piece of hard plastic over the vinyl and tape to provide a firm flat backing. With the repair hole(s) facing up to allow gravity to keep the epoxy in place, I filled the hole(s) overlapping the epoxy a bit around the hole on the inside.  Once cured remove the clamp and peel the textured piece of vinyl off. Sometimes I had to clean up the repaired area with a pin of toothpick a little bit. I had a few holes and deep scratches in my quarter panels and holes in my center console that I repaired this way. Here are a few pics...

Back