71 Mexican Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a look at the pics on CL. To say this car is rough is like saying... Help me out here, I can't even come up with a drastic enough parallel to make!

Yes, the car is rough, but the transmission assembly with shifter and pedals is worth $750! What a weird and rare car. If I didn't have 50 project cars I'd buy it. Tach and Gauges and it probably came with factory ram air because it has the tu-tone hood and locks. It's a 4 speed! Not sure about the motor. A 352? Typo? 351? Wow. I wonder if Kevin Marti has the Eminger invoice for it.

Yes, the car is rough, but the transmission assembly with shifter and pedals is worth $750! What a weird and rare car. If I didn't have 50 project cars I'd buy it. Tach and Gauges and it probably came with factory ram air because it has the tu-tone hood and locks. It's a 4 speed! Not sure about the motor. A 352? Typo? 351? Wow. I wonder if Kevin Marti has the Eminger invoice for it.
As for the "01" in the VIN, yes, that is a hardtop in the US. But in Mexico, who knows? I've heard of Mexican Shelbys, but I don't think I can recall 71 Mustangs built in Mexico. Can anyone chime in on 352 engines? I think I knew a guy with a 352 in a Fairlane once.

I believe if that one could talk it would have a lot to say. Not sure if Marti has info on these cars since they were not built in the US. Mexico had strong content laws on vehicles built there so the power train was locally produced and not something found in the US built cars. From what I've been told they had Dana differentials instead of the Ford corporate 8 or 9" units. The 4bl 351W and 4sp transmission were also locally supplied from Mexico plants

The last year for a 352 (an FE engine) in the car line was 1966. The first FE engine in the Fairlane was the 390 in 1966.

Like classicsguy commented, I'm not sure what this car was when new. One of the Mexican labels indicates Hardtop, there is no power top switch on the left lower of the dash board (power top was standard on the 71-73 Mustangs) and the appearance of  hardtop style windshield moulding instead of the all stainless normally seen on the verts leaves a lot of questions!  

71 Mexican Vert mouldings?

Typical Vert Mouldings  

As for the "01" in the VIN, yes, that is a hardtop in the US. But in Mexico, who knows? I've heard of Mexican Shelbys, but I don't think I can recall 71 Mustangs built in Mexico. Can anyone chime in on 352 engines? I think I knew a guy with a 352 in a Fairlane once.
Image 21 at the bottom says:hardtop and I decoded the Mexican vin.

Also in Pic 14 you can see what would appear to be a retrofitted convertible top switch hanging out of where the heater controls would go.

I'm also curious, it looks to be a 4 speed car but no clutch pedal and kind of hard to tell but the brake pedal looks like an automatic size pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in Pic 14 you can see what would appear to be a retrofitted convertible top switch hanging out of where the heater controls would go.

I'm also curious, it looks to be a 4 speed car but no clutch pedal and kind of hard to tell but the brake pedal looks like an automatic size pedal.

Good points and good eyes Jason! Now that I look at it, I think this was a hardtop converted over to a convertible. The top boot moldings are missing and I don't see any holes for mounting them. The area for the top where it mounts in the back looks like it has been cut (the area proximal to the back of the deck lid). The factory top switch is missing. Would love to know how all of this came about.

There is a strong Mexican Mustang site on Facebook.  

And yes, some are bilingual if you don't want to use a translator!

Secluff, 351W and 4 speed would be correct.  Door panel missing LTD/Cougar type trim - original for Mexican Mustangs.

Good catch on window trim etc.!

I agree Kevin, this is a very interesting car.

decoder page - http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/index.html

You have to wonder how the car is holding together?  Probably no convertible bracing underneath????

Almost like someone wanted a convertible and made one. This car would be worth saving!!!! 

THE ONLY 1971 MEXICAN MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE! --- Even if slightly home-made.

No Marti or Eminger help for this one.

Ray

Secluff, 351W and 4 speed would be correct.  Door panel missing LTD type trim - original for Mexican Mustangs.

Ray
Hi Ray. Thanks for the info. Could you please send me that link again? It doesn't seem to be working.

Secluff, 351W and 4 speed would be correct.  Door panel missing LTD/Cougar type trim - original for Mexican Mustangs.

You have to wonder how the car is holding together?  Probably no convertible bracing underneath????

Almost like someone wanted a convertible and made one. This car would be worth saving!!!! 

THE ONLY 1971 MEXICAN MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE! --- Even if slightly home-made.

No Marti or Eminger help for this one.

Ray
If its saved: restore it back as a hardtop?

Ray, like I posted earlier, if this one could talk!

I would be concerned about the structural integrity of a unibody car that's had the surgery this one has received. Starting life as a coupe means it doesn't have the stronger vert rocker panels and other reinforcing items that made the chassis more vert ready. The donor red sheet metal, left door and bent/damaged front end indicates the life this car has had.

The 83-93 Fox Mustang rag tops started life as coupes. Even with a Ford engineered and designed prep package installed at the assembly plant before they were converted to rag tops, they had assorted problems. Cowl shake and a general loose feeling to the chassis were common. I had a 87 and a 88 GT rag top and they had some terrible cowl shake.

Not sure what kind of a parts car this would make as far as trying to harvest the power train. Like DonC posted, if the engine has been open to the elements as long as it looks like it has, then you could only plant some flowers in the 4bl holes and use it as a planter. Identifying the top loader was another challenge as one came up for discussion a few months ago and none of us including David Kee could ID it. Evidently a unique Mexican supplied part as well as the Dana differential. I remember the clutch fork looking like something you would see on a F600 truck and a bell housing sourced from the first generation Bronco. This one would pose a parts nightmare if you tried to take it back to a as built condition. It would have be be a labor of love where money is no object. I know we all love our "Clydesdale's" but we also all acknowledge the fact that unless a R, J or C code car they just are not going to be a good return on investment.  

Ray, do you still have any contact with your friend in Guadalajara? Do you think there would be any chance of finding out why the Mexican government only allowed the coupe body style to be built until 1973?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, like I posted earlier, if this one could talk!

I would be concerned about the structural integrity of a unibody car that's had the surgery this one has received. Starting life as a coupe means it doesn't have the stronger vert rocker panels and other reinforcing items that made the chassis more vert ready. The donor red sheet metal, left door and bent/damaged front end indicates the life this car has had.

The 83-93 Fox Mustang rag tops started life as coupes. Even with a Ford engineered and designed prep package installed at the assembly plant before they were converted to rag tops, they had assorted problems. Cowl shake and a general loose feeling to the chassis were common. I had a 87 and a 88 GT rag top and they had some terrible cowl shake.

Not sure what kind of a parts car this would make as far as trying to harvest the power train. Like DonC posted, if the engine has been open to the elements as long as it looks like it has, then you could only plant some flowers in the 4bl holes and use it as a planter. Identifying the top loader was another challenge as one came up for discussion a few months ago and none of us including David Kee could ID it. Evidently a unique Mexican supplied part as well as the Dana differential. I remember the clutch fork looking like something you would see on a F600 truck and a bell housing sourced from the first generation Bronco. This one would pose a parts nightmare if you tried to take it back to a as built condition. It would have be be a labor of love where money is no object. I know we all love our "Clydesdale's" but we also all acknowledge the fact that unless a R, J or C code car they just are not going to be a good return on investment.  

Ray, do you still have any contact with your friend in Guadalajara? Do you think there would be any chance of finding out why the Mexican government only allowed the coupe body style to be built until 1973?
I think I can find out.  Their FB page is actually the best source of info.  

Ray

OK Here are some answers provided by a member of that Facebook page:

Ricardo Ramírez Tamayo wrote:

Because Mexico had a closed economy during 60's and 70's, and cars must be built with 80% Mexican parts.

Then I asked, Yes but why only Hardtops and not Sportsroofs or convertibles????

Because the market was very small to produce 3 models with 80% Mexican parts, also convertibles were considered as luxury cars and it was a government with stupid communist ideas.

Ray

I feel like I need to add one crucial bit of information concerning the knock-down kits that were essentially partially assembled Mustangs delivered to countries like Mexico and Brazil. These countries required final assembly in their own country. Along with this requirement, they also mandated that some percentage of parts be sourced from their own country.

THESE CARS ARE VERY UNIQUE ! You cannot and definitely SHOULD NOT apply much of what we understand about domestic-built Mustangs to these cars. You will get schooled quick! I know of a few members on here (including me) who tried and learned quick! (you know who you are LOL)

They are very interesting cars and some continue to be maintained in excellent condition. But again - be careful about applying what we know about our US Mustangs and those built here for export. What we know and have learned applies to the United States produced cars but not so much for these sent to Mexico etc. for completion of manufacturing.

I hope this helps! I enjoy learning more about these cars!!!!!!

Ray

Back