Steering wheel change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangandy

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Cobra Jet 429 Ram Air C6 auto 3.50 traction loc
[url=https://ibb.co/Wtx4kTW][img]https://i.ibb.co/dgWwPh0/mine1.jpg[/img][/url]

I have the original, now non functioning, 3 spoke rim blow steering wheel. Although authentic it's such a thin rim and is quite large so I was thinking of changing it for a grant classic nostalgia wood one. Seems it comes as either a 15 inch or 13.5 inch with a near 4 inch dish.

As I have power steering I'm leaning towards the smaller 13.5 version. Seems to look good in the car (not sure what the size is in the above pic)

Has anyone switched to this wheel and any thoughts re size? Will the 13.5 inch one still clear the speedo and tach dials?

Thanks

At 5'8" you would most likely be able to see the speedo. I don't need to drop 6" to see it. I can try to get a pic from my vantage point then drop the camera 6" and take another and post for you today.

At 5'8" you would most likely be able to see the speedo. I don't need to drop 6" to see it. I can try to get a pic from my vantage point then drop the camera 6" and take another and post for you today.
Thanks so much Jason, that would be great, cheers!

I have the 13.5 inch Grant Classic and not much problem seeing gauges plus gives me extra leg room

I do like the look of this steering wheel but be aware you most likely will have some issues with the turn signal switch contacts and/or horn button causing shorts

I ended up making a spacer (one supplied was too short) to bring the wheel further away from the turn signal contacts and taped the contacts over

Hopefully you don't have these issues but many people do, search Grant steering wheel problems and you will find out

I have the 13.5 inch Grant Classic and not much problem seeing gauges plus gives me extra leg room

I do like the look of this steering wheel but be aware you most likely will have some issues with the turn signal switch contacts and/or horn button causing shorts

I ended up making a spacer (one supplied was too short) to bring the wheel further away from the turn signal contacts and taped the contacts over

Hopefully you don't have these issues but many people do, search Grant steering wheel problems and you will find out
I've had a search and, yes, seems to be a few issues with them. I'm presuming my horn wiring has been taped over/removed as I have a remote horn switch on the dash now. If the turn signals didn't self cancel that would be OK (they generally don't on bikes so I'm used to that) as long as the lugs stay intact. 

Cheers

I have the original, now non functioning, 3 spoke rim blow steering wheel. Although authentic it's such a thin rim and is quite large so I was thinking of changing it for a grant classic nostalgia wood one. Seems it comes as either a 15 inch or 13.5 inch with a near 4 inch dish.

As I have power steering I'm leaning towards the smaller 13.5 version. Seems to look good in the car (not sure what the size is in the above pic)

Has anyone switched to this wheel and any thoughts re size? Will the 13.5 inch one still clear the speedo and tach dials?

Thanks
I have a 13", ( measured from the outer edges), I'm 5' 8", and can't see my turn signals unless I duck down a little. I have "newer" seat foam though, maybe that's why

I've got a 13" Grant Classic 'rubber' rim.  Love it, and no issues with the gauges.

dashrehab7.jpg

Not quite the pic you were looking for I'm sure, but unless you have 8 foot arms, your perspective is going to be a lot closer than the first picture of this thread (wood-rim Grant Classic).

5'7" with a 14" steering wheel and I cant see the 80 MPH marker.

EDIT: cant see the turn signal markers either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 13" Grant Classic 'rubber' rim.  Love it, and no issues with the gauges.

dashrehab7.jpg

Not quite the pic you were looking for I'm sure, but unless you have 8 foot arms, your perspective is going to be a lot closer than the first picture of this thread (wood-rim Grant Classic).
What's up with those checkered slippers?

Checkerboard slip-on Vans.  Been wearing 'em since the '80s (not this exact pair, however).  I think I have 3 or 4 pairs, and I'm about to order a couple pairs of the lace-ups, too.

I mean... is there a problem?  :whistling:

rofl

dashrehab7.jpg

Thanks Eric. Good point about the perspective. I'll get the ruler out and have a measure! 

Cheers

When I've made my own steering wheel, (kuz i'm a little guy and the original 3 spoke was way too big and way too thin with no grip)

I've measured how my hands, shoulders should be to be comfortable, how thick the rim should be and of course to have a good view on the gauges.

That you make your own or buy an after market one, the provided adapters are not always good for our cars.

This company provides good ones. The one I've used isn't listed anymore, but this one looks like the one I'll be using when I'll make a new one for my 71 (kus I haven't grown up since the first one)

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/bosses/f24/?filters=308

The horn button often provided with aftermarket steering wheel are often looking pretty cheap (and often are)

There too this company has very nice pieces.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/accessories/billet-horn-button/?filters=308

Back