When looking for a 71-73 :Was the transmission a deciding factor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
When you purchased your 71-73 Mustang : did you get the auto or 4 speed from factory that you wanted or had to change it after purchasing?

I would prefer to have a 4 speed from factory but wont turn down a good car if its an auto.

The fact my car was a manual and already converted to a T5 was most definitely a deciding factor for me:):)

b80b3609e37bf528f0338428c034f4d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always preferred sticks and still do, but as you get older the automatics do have some advantages that you may appreciate more.  In addition to keeping you behind the wheel, if you have a spouse that isn't too stick-proficient and you might want to have fill in now and then as the driver, it gives you more options.  

Sitting here recovering from shoulder surgery and with a spouse that is downright scary using a stick, I am even considering going with an automatic in one of my project cars that for years I would have never even considered and have accumulated all the stick parts to finish. Am assuming I will be functional in the right arm in a couple months again.  But, even if I am not then the automatic looks preferable to riding shotgun..

So, a 59 TBird I am working on will remain automatic (modified C6 replacing the CM & modified 390 instead of original 352) and my 73 fastback with 460 will remain converted to manual... Gives me multiple options that I would never have considered 10-20 years ago..

No human can shift faster than a well built auto transmission. We actually have a C4 auto tranny in our 73 well built Mach 1. I had thought the C4 was a little weak for an engine putting out as much HP as our engine does. But in researching I found a lot of folks prefer a well built C4 as it has lighter internals than the heavier duty C6 auto tranny. After acquiring the Mach 1 the first thing I did was have the C4 rebuilt with all high performance parts. It does a nice job. As much as I enjoy a manual tranny, I far prefer the convenience, and ye, even the performance of a nicely built auto tranny. My two cents.

Back