Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande
Hi, My name is Mike. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to introduce myself.

I live in Central New York, not too far from Syracuse.

I purchased a '73 Grande, 302 2v with a C4 tranny this fall and wanted to start getting her back into shape but I've run into a couple of roadblocks. (More on those in the appropriate threads).

From what I've read so far this is the place to come for answers to any questions I may have.

Thanks,

Mike

PO pulled the vinyl roof and chrome trim off and painted it, by hand I think. The engine and tranny are solid, but this is an example of what I found when I finally was able to get it on a lift.

Hmm, I was only able to attach 2 files.20181011_171504.jpeg20181011_171509.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Not wanting to discourage you on your project but sometimes you just need to step back and look at it really hard. The coupes are not bringing much cash at sale and you can find a much better one to start with if that is what you want.

BTW brushing primer on is ok. In fact is better in some areas where the gun just will not blow back into corners. You just sand it smooth before you top coat it. I brush primer on the inside surfaces for sure.

Saves material with no over spray and gets into the cracks.

There was a coupe in Atlanta a few months back that I was going to pick up. He had already put floors in and trunk and had painted and was ready to assemble. He had got medical issues and had to sell and if I remember right the whole thing was $2,000. I had gone to bank got the cash and had dolly on the truck and had found several other parts in the area I wanted. He called and said someone showed up with roll back and cash and he sold it. I was just going to flip it an make a little.

Do some searching it cost the same to do a coupe or vert or Mach 1 for floors and rust repair.

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Not wanting to discourage you on your project but sometimes you just need to step back and look at it really hard. The coupes are not bringing much cash at sale and you can find a much better one to start with if that is what you want.

BTW brushing primer on is ok. In fact is better in some areas where the gun just will not blow back into corners. You just sand it smooth before you top coat it. I brush primer on the inside surfaces for sure.

Saves material with no over spray and gets into the cracks.

There was a coupe in Atlanta a few months back that I was going to pick up. He had already put floors in and trunk and had painted and was ready to assemble. He had got medical issues and had to sell and if I remember right the whole thing was $2,000. I had gone to bank got the cash and had dolly on the truck and had found several other parts in the area I wanted. He called and said someone showed up with roll back and cash and he sold it. I was just going to flip it an make a little.

Do some searching it cost the same to do a coupe or vert or Mach 1 for floors and rust repair.

Cheers,
Thanks for your reply.

I understand where you are coming from as far as the resale value of a coupe compared to a fastback or a vert. I'm not looking to sell the car anytime when i'm done with it. I would like to drive it for a while so its value is not a huge issue right now. Although i wouldn't mind at least making my money back 5 or 10 years from now. Who really knows what the market might be then.

As far as the paint, I wish it was primer that was brushed on. The top coat itself is terrible. Orange peel, runs, light spots, overspray etc. It looks good from afar but it's far from good. I bought the car planning on changing the color anyway so it wasn't a big deal until I finally got a chance to do a thorough inspection on the undercarriage. I wish I had been able to do that before I bought it. It's a good life lesson I guess.

I'm just going to have to divert the funds I was going to use to paint the car this winter to doing the frame/chassis work. Paint can come later.

Back