Gauge Housing Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

Forum-

I'm curious to know if the 1973  gauge housing orifices for the Tachometer and Speedometer have different dimensions  than the 71-72?   My 73 housings are conically shaped with the base measurement being 4.5" making it tough to fit a 5" gauge, while pictures posted by others show that a 5" gauge fits nicely.  

This picture is from BenD's post (his is a 72) :  

If anyone can advise, I'd be grateful, as I don't want to hack to the gauge bracket to make this work. 

If there is a difference- will a 72 fit in a 73?

Thanks in advance,

Butch

Butch, the same instrument cluster housing was used for all 71-73 Mustangs (Part# D1ZZ-10838-A). Although the part number will never be on the actual part there should be an engineering number cast in to the housing to help ID it. Unless there was a supplier/vendor change, D1ZF-10838-AB is the number that you will should find on the housing.

David, the instrument cluster clock was standard on the 71-73 Grande. With the exception of the Boss, idiot lights were standard on all models. The optional Mach1Sport interior included a cluster mounted clock and center mounted auxiliary gauges. The optional instrumentation group replaced the clock (if equipped) with the tachometer.

To avoid redundancy the clock did not automatically come with the long console if the vehicle had the cluster clock and no instrumentation group option.   Although I have some catalogs with conflicting info, I believe the 73 Mach 1 Sport Interior included the tachometer instead of the cluster clock like on 71-72's   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Forum-

I'm curious to know if the 1973  gauge housing orifices for the Tachometer and Speedometer have different dimensions  than the 71-72?   My 73 housings are conically shaped with the base measurement being 4.5" making it tough to fit a 5" gauge, while pictures posted by others show that a 5" gauge fits nicely.  

This picture is from BenD's post (his is a 72) :  

If anyone can advise, I'd be grateful, as I don't want to hack to the gauge bracket to make this work. 

If there is a difference- will a 72 fit in a 73?

Thanks in advance,

Butch
The housing should be the same for 71-73 - the differences are in the mounting plates for the speedometer and tach/clock/warning light.

How are you trying to fit the 5" gauges? They should be mounted from the back, not sliding in from the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
All- Thanks for the responses.  That helps a lot.

Bob - appreciate the guidance. Based on my interpretation of BenD's post I was working with the idea that the gauges would slide in from the front and secure from the back.  Might need to rethink that.

I'll keep reviewing the posts of those who have done this already and kept a stock look to figure out the best option.

My plan is to either retro fit the backing plates for my guages which are actually only 3.5". I also have a piece of abs in case that doesnt look like a good option to make new backing plates for the gauges. You can get thick ABS plastic sheets on Amazon so thats always an option if you want to try this

I'm confused........isn't the Speedo supposed to be on the right and the tach on the left ?  or did I put mine together backwards..............I notice that on the above the hole for the trip odometer in also on the left so that would be where the speedo would go.....  :huh: :chin:

Mudbilly-

This is a shot of BenD's gauge set.  His ride is a right hand drive, hence the gauge orientation. Check my new post for a look at new gauges retrofitted into the left hand housing.

I'm confused........isn't the Speedo supposed to be on the right and the tach on the left ?  or did I put mine together backwards..............I notice that on the above the hole for the trip odometer in also on the left so that would be where the  speedo would go.....  :huh: :chin:

Back