vibration in rear end finally sloved

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I had vibrations issues in my car when driving over 45 mph in the rear end. I don't do a lot of freeway driving with it and I was short of funds so it was on the to do list for a long time. I had the U joints done first.  That help some but then we had the drive shaft rebalanced and the trans mount replaced and that solved all the vibration issues. I took out on the interstate and hit 80 mph and it was so smooth I did not know it was the same car.

John J

IMG_0860.JPG

Good to hear you found the issue.

I would suggest when you pick up the car on 2 post lift that you put blocks of wood between the frame rail and the upper control arm. That will prevent the coil spring bottoming out the upper shock mount and pinching the rubber bushing into. It can also split the radius rod bushings. Ford has a special tool for that and tells you to block them in their repair manuals. Most people don't and most people complain about the sorry shock bushings splitting also, lol.

Shiny car for sure and stock wheels look great. Working on a set right now.

Back