What brand DA?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I bought a cheap DA from harbor freight and all though it works it takes a ton of air!  I have heard the more expensive ones are more efficient on air.  If this is true which one should I buy that wont break the bank?

My air compressor is a 60 gal, 175psi, 7hp craftsman.  The HF DA pulls it down quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to look at what CFM your compressor puts out at what PSI you want to run the DA (usually around 90 PSI for a DA). then look at different DA's and their air requirements and match it up. simple as that.

CFM is dependent upon the design of the tool. Some use a lot, some use very little. Don't know what your compressor is rated at, but if a dual stage 7hp compressor has trouble keeping up with a single DA, you might be in for a rebuild soon.

by DA what tool are you talking about? I know I have a couple of 3.5 inch circle sanders from harbor freight and if I don't run them at 120+ psi they don't work for crap even on a giant dual stage IR compressor. (150 gallon I think) Seems like the harbor tools are so bad at efficiency that I need to run them at 30% over to get regular results.

edit.... sorry but I've never seen the term DA used to describe a dual action air powered sander. If this is what you're asking about then I can only assume its even worse than my 3.5"s

Last edited by a moderator:
The DA (6"orbital palm sander) I have from harbor freight is 14cfm @ 90psi.  My compressor is rated at 9 cfm @ 90 psi.  I am no math genius but this is a bad combination right???

This sander is 6 cfm @ 90 PSI

https://www.eastwood.com/contour-pro-6in-random-orbital-sander-3-32-orbit.html

The Kobalt from Lowes is supposed to be 4.5 CFM at 90 psi.

So basically I got a junk sander from HF that my compressor is never going to keep up with????

When you do the math you can see why you run out of air so fast. A 60 gallon air compressor has about 8 cubic feet of air. The multiplication factor difference of compressed air between 90 psi and 175 psi is about 7. So, that gives you a starting 90 psi equivalent volume of about 56 cubic feet of air, a little over half a minute if the compressor doesn't kick on, maybe another half a minute if it does.

When you do the math you can see why you run out of air so fast. A 60 gallon air compressor has about 8 cubic feet of air. The multiplication factor difference of compressed air between 90 psi and 175 psi is about 7. So, that gives you a starting 90 psi equivalent volume of about 56 cubic feet of air, a little over half a minute if the compressor doesn't kick on, maybe another half a minute if it does.
Yeah what Don C said! :D

Back