New Buy: 1971 Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
Greetings from the Republic of Texas!  I recently purchased (July 2018) a 1971 Boss 351 (Vin 1F02R154257) from the 2nd owner who's owned it for the last 41 years. He purchased it in January, 1977 from a Chrysler Dealership in McAllen, TX.  He was told the original owner was from Mexico who drove to McAllen and traded it for something on the Chrysler lot.  Since McAllen is a border town the story made sense but there was no way to prove until I obtained a MARTI report.  According to MARTI my car was only 1 of 18 to be designated for export at production with a DSO code of 99. So there are 17 other Boss 351's somewhere on the planet that were sent overseas after coming off the assembly line.  This picture was taken the day I purchased it (July 12, 2018) outside his garage.  The wheels are not correct but the car is in awesome condition with solid metal since it has lived in the desert south all of its life.

The engine is in the machine shop as I write this note. My intent is for a bottom-up rebuild but I want the car to be driveable and allow me to get gas at the corner store.  As such, I don't want 11.7:1 compression and asked they "detune" the engine.  The engine will still look like a 1971 Boss on the outside.

Oh...I'm selling the original intake manifold (D1ZX-9425-CA) and a NOS Boss distributor in the classifieds if interested.

Ed

San Antonio, TX

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome !! I looked at your items (though I can't use more for a 72) I would like to offer "things your need" for your build or buy the old original pistons if you want to turn into cash for other things.

Mark

That is a beautiful looking vehicle. The prior owner of our 1973 Mach 1 replaced his original 302 2v engine with a 351W using 69 351W 4v heads. The engine was built for street/strip, but he insisted on having only 9.7:1 compression ratio pistons because of the lack of high octane gasoline in our area (If I am lucky I find 90 octane non-ethanol out here to use). It was a smart move. The engine runs strong, despite the 9.7:1 compression. And I get no pre-ignition under load. Like yourself I initially did not like the 71-73 model years, far favoring 69-70 fastback/sportsroof Mustangs. But over the years I grew to appreciate the 71-73 models, Then we got ours, and it has been an awesome experience.

Hello from iowa, If it was me I would not lower compression back the timing off. I run a 70 mercury cyclone with a 429 CJ at 11.3 to 1 compression and run it on pump gas no problems.

Welcome from Iowa. I will just come out and say it. Are you nuts? If you want a detuned car buy a regular Mach and slap some boss stickers on it. Destroying what I assume is a very accurate and original Boss 351 is insane.

Welcome from Iowa. I will just come out and say it. Are you nuts? If you want a detuned car buy a regular Mach and slap some boss stickers on it. Destroying what I assume is a very accurate and original Boss 351 is insane.
+1 on that. Sorry but these cars are so rare it’s hard to hear it getting changed at all.

+1  There is more than advertised compression ratio that needs to be considered. Closed chamber Cleveland head are a quench head and function very well at reducing pre-ignition. High compression quench heads are generally street and pump gas friendly.

The other important variable is dynamic compression ratio. Your engine has a performance camshaft that likely puts the dynamic compression ratio well into the pump gas range.

Like they say, it's your car, but please don't make decisions that you will regret later (like selling the intake manifold or other parts).

Do some research on Cleveland engines to find out about them there is a lot of good information on this forum, and links to other sites. Read what George Pence has to say about Cleveland engines. Just because a Chevy engine with high compression can't run on pump gas doesn't mean that a Cleveland can't. Hopefully your machinist knows something about Clevelands.

Welcome from Oregon.

+1 on that. Sorry but these cars are so rare it’s hard to hear it getting changed at all.
Find me an Autolite 4300-D carburator for less than $6 grand or better yet establish a "go fund me" account so I can afford the correct alternator, water pump, flywheel, distributor, and the dozens of other parts that are unique to a 71 Boss 351 (and insanely expensive) and I'll gladly restore it to your expectations. Until then, or when I'm a lottery winner, the car will be made road worthy within my budget and driven so that I and others can appreciate the beauty and history of this car.

Ed 

San Antonio, TX

Hello from iowa, If it was me I would not lower compression back the timing off. I run a 70 mercury cyclone with a 429 CJ at 11.3 to 1 compression and run it on pump gas no problems.
+1  I concur.  Have a  DOAE Cleveland with some kind of cam,

maybe 5000 miles  on the rebuild and it runs fine on California (ugh)

pump gas.  Just need to tune it properly.

mike

Oh gotcha. Like I said sorry, but it sounded like you had a very original car. Well, either way by no means trying to knock you or your car. Trying to look out for you, that’s all.

It’s a beauty and congrats on the new ride!

Find me an Autolite 4300-D carburator for less than $6 grand or better yet establish a "go fund me" account so I can afford the correct alternator, water pump, flywheel, distributor, and the dozens of other parts that are unique to a 71 Boss 351 (and insanely expensive) and I'll gladly restore it to your expectations.  Until then, or when I'm a lottery winner, the car will be made road worthy within my budget and driven so that I and others can appreciate the beauty and history of this car.

Ed 

San Antonio, TX

My guess is "without too much info" on the car condition, plans and need for a build... not all will spend the money (actually time finding) for correct Boss parts. If building in a direction running a different spec motor

(if built and breathable) you will seek options.

When I saw the late intake I too thought "well the D1ZF ZA carb is the hard part".   Seeing the later distributor I thought "you must know they aren't right for a Boss" so sell and make money for project.

Ed I hope you take the time to conture the build and show up.    Remember my offer for parts and pistons IF  you have a Alum waterpump in mind let me know.

Mark

welcome aboard.

You will one day regret selling any boss specific part from that car. Its gorgeous!

Back