Bezel Illumination

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crendave

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I'm looking to replace a burned out bulb on my headlight switch bezel but need some advice on where the bulb is actually located?  I have a 71' Mach 1 and the other bezels illuminate fine.  Thanks.

David

Hi David,

Pull your headlight switch knob all the way out. Under the switch is a small knob you have to push to release the knob - see video

I haven't replaced the globe but I'm pretty sure once you get it out it should be pretty obvious.

Hope this helps.

Shane

PS I found it easier to use a large flat blade screwdriver to get to the release knob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  Here's what you would see if your gauge cluster was removed (pardon the mess, we're redecorating... :p  )

Top View - Looking down.

Good luck!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  Here's what you would see if your gauge cluster was removed (pardon the mess, we're redecorating... :p  )

Top View - Looking down.

Good luck!  

Thanks Butch65 - this is perfect...guess i'll need to pull the cluster.  AGAIN!  :D

crendav-

If you love the experience of pulling the gauge cluster, go for it. :D   My 2 cents- I would just drop the headlight switch as once you've figured out how to pull the switch handle, it's a lot less involved.  Maybe 5 minutes to drop the switch, change the bulb and reassemble.  

Drop me a PM if ya want to talk through it ( and then I'll talk you into LED conversion...)

crendav-

If you love the experience of pulling the gauge cluster, go for it. :D   My 2 cents- I would just drop the headlight switch as once you've figured out how to pull the switch handle, it's a lot less involved.  Maybe 5 minutes to drop the switch, change the bulb and reassemble.  

Drop me a PM if ya want to talk through it ( and then I'll talk you into LED conversion...)
Butch65,

dropping the switch might be the better route...i've already replaced the switch handle, and replaced the guage lights with LEDs, along with a new circuit board and inst voltage regulator.  Along with bezels and lenzes for all.  UGH.  Never dropped the light switch though - did you get the bezel tool?

I was too impatient to wait for the tool and found that I had a very large Phillips screwdriver that worked nicely. :p I padded the tangs of the end with a piece of painters tape to protect the hardware finish.  Worked like a charm.  

Where did you find replacement bezels ?

I was too impatient to wait for the tool and found that I had a very large Phillips screwdriver that worked nicely. :p I padded the tangs of the end with a piece of painters tape to protect the hardware finish.  Worked like a charm.  

I got them at Mustang's unlimited and CJ Pony Parts.  Replaced the following bezels:

over the glove box

center guage 

main inst cluster

also dash pad, console, pedal trim and pads, door panels (except for the original woodgrain pieces), carpet, steering wheel, original radio...hmm, what else?  Oh, am now replacing headliner.  Having that done though.

Back