Oil pump rod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert sneed

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 351 c 2v
pulled my distributor and my rod started to come to then fell and some how got lodged any tips for getting it out? I tried a magnet and it wasn’t strong enough and pliers wouldn’t grip it.

May be saying something stupid here, but is there no little clip on the shaft ment to prevent it goes up?

If that'd be the case, if you would manage to get it out and there is one, where will the little clip go and potentially do?

Last edited by a moderator:
May be saying something stupid here, but is there no little clip on the shaft ment to prevent it goes up?

If that'd be the case, if you would manage to get it out and there is one, where will the little clip go and potentially do?
 Usually is, but if it's stuck good in the bottom of the distributor shaft, it'll slide the clip. 

To the OP - try a set of hemostats or forceps, they are very useful in automotive work.

What do you mean by lodged? The way it’s leaning to one side is normal. To get it centered to get the distributor back in is easy. Just put a dollop of grease on the one side of the rod and get it back to center, then you can get the distributor back in.

If you want to remove it then I would try like hemikiller said and use some hemostats.

The oil pump drive shaft, if installed correctly, will not come out through the hole the distributor shaft goes into. There is a serrated washer at the top of the oil pump drive shaft that keeps it from being pulled out of the oil pump when the distributor is pulled. You shouldn't be able to move it upwards more than an eighth of an inch, or so. If it did come out of the oil pump and fall down it would be a lot further down than it is.

I agree with John, looks normal to me, ready to install the distributor.

To verify that it is still connected put a 5/16 socket on it and turn it counterclockwise. You should feel some resistance as it tries to pump oil, and more when it does pump oil.

Thanks for all the info, so you guys think this is normal even tho it’s stuck against the side like that?

Same thing happened to me when I built my 302 for the bronco. I put in the distributor. then when I was ready to put the motor in, I pulled it to prime the oil pump and the shaft got stuck and pulled out of the pump and fell into the oil pan. What a bummer that was. At least it was still on the engine stand when it happened. It was my fault. I did not push the ring clip up against the block after putting in the shaft. It was about 1/2" below the block and that was far enough for it to come out of the oil pump and drop in the pan.

When I put it back I made sure the oil pump shaft ring clip was pushed up firmly against the block so it wouldn't move.

It’s pretty tight in there, I put a 5/16 socket on it didn’t feel right turning.

Yes, it's tight, they make a tool that makes it easier

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27062-Ford-Inch-Primer/dp/B0049OE8ZG/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1542148700&sr=1-6&keywords=oil+pump+priming+tool

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-pt12/overview/make/ford

I just ground down a 5/16" deep socket so it would turn without hitting the sides. If your socket fits too tight you won't be able to feel what it's doing. As long as you can turn it and it doesn't fall to the bottom of the oil pan it should be OK. If you have oil in the engine connect your tool to a reversible drill and turn it in reverse until it has oil pressure. When it has oil pressure it will slow a 3/8" drill down.

Back