Mustang Monthly (Small Rant)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Anyone get Mustang Monthly magazine? Don't get me wrong, I love the magazine, but one of the first things I like to do is look through it cover to cover and see how many 71-73's are pictured! LOL! As you can probably guess, I can usually count them on one hand. Last month had 1 picture. This month's just showed up and there is another article about a 65 Shelby! Sure Shelby's are nice but come on...let's see some down to earth cars and lets see some 71-73's! I don't think I can handle another white with blue rally striped Shelby article! :dodgy:

Rant over...LOL! Now where did I lay that magazine?

Well, I think we are rapidly getting to the point where we will be able to remedy the lack of coverage for our ('71 - '73 Mustangs) cars. I envision our eventually submitting articles directly to the magazine - - that is the best way to do it.

That having been said, I have been enormously impressed with the quality of "Mustang Monthly" technical articles over the years. Many of those articles have very broad application to include our cars.

The enlighten magazine staffs are becoming "as one" with the Internet, witness "Popular Hot Rodding" as an example. Their staff routinely surf the "Boards" to identify possibilities for publication.

I think we are getting there!

BT

I've been pleasantly surprised to see more variety in the magazine than what was normally found in the past. The last Mustang magazine I bought (of any flavor) was a long time ago when I was the proud owner of an '82 Fox-body GL hatchback (my first car). There were never any articles in MM, Mustang, or High-Performance Ford, or anything... they hated the Fox body... unless it was a Saleen, that is.

The first one I picked up recently had the 'High Yield' article featuring the Grabber Lime '71 Mach 1 that inspired me to get my Rustang.

Sure, I love all Mustangs - yes... even the Mustang IIs and Fox bodies. But, I can totally understand when there's coverage for every other model than the ones we own. (I've also owned 2 1985 Nissan 4x4s and a 1980 Jeep CJ-7 that none of the off road mags seemed able to find room for).

It also seems to me that we're a niche market - everybody I know seems to love the '69s an older, can't even remember what a '70 looks like, and will always say, "Cool" when they see a '71, but admit that it's not their first choice. But - oh well... that just means 'more for me.' More parts, more prestige because everybody has older Mustangs, and more security knowing that my car won't be on the top of everybody's list to steal. ;)

As time marches on the 74-79 mustangs will be loved too

2011 and the 71 will be 40.

"It also seems to me that we're a niche market - everybody I know seems to love the '69s an older, can't even remember what a '70 looks like, and will always say, "Cool" when they see a '71, but admit that it's not their first choice. But - oh well... that just means 'more for me.' More parts, more prestige because everybody has older Mustangs, and more security knowing that my car won't be on the top of everybody's list to steal."

Eric, that is one of the most eloquently written descriptions of how we feel about "our cars" that I've read. I bitch about the lack of stories, photos (note this, Barry ;) ) and such related to '71 to '73 convertibles, but to be honest, my bitching is always tongue-in-cheek, and it actually reflects a "pride" in owning, and now restoring, something that apparently is rather unique, if not a little bit "special". And I like that.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Eric. Thanks for putting it in writing.

Doc

No doubt, guys! I also love all Mustangs (I even have a deep infatuation with the 2011 GT350!:p) But yeah, I'd still like to see more 71-73 coverage mainly because I feel that they deserve it! I also like the Mustang II's, especially the Cobra's! LOL! There is an article in October's edition featuring a low mileage King Cobra but not one 71-73 to be seen.

Eric, that is one of the most eloquently written descriptions of how we feel about "our cars" that I've read. I bitch about the lack of stories, photos (note this, Barry ;) ) and such related to '71 to '73 convertibles, but to be honest, my bitching is always tongue-in-cheek, and it actually reflects a "pride" in owning, and now restoring, something that apparently is rather unique, if not a little bit "special". And I like that.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Eric. Thanks for putting it in writing.

Doc
Thanks Doc! Honestly, I've always been a little warmer for the '71-73s since about high school. I love all Mustangs (even the early boxy-lookin' Fox bodies and Mustang IIs) - they're just cool cars. I also have to admit being one of 'those guys' that like the '71-73 coupes and 'verts as well. There's something cool about a long-hood car with the top dropped that just screams "Drive Me!" Then again, one of my all-time favorite cars is a '69-73 Ferrari 365 GTB/S Daytona/Spyder - if you were to put a Daytona/Spyder next to a '71-73 fastback or 'vert and squint really, REALLY hard... well... let's just say that I think they have kinda similar silhouettes (long sloping hood, short-ass back end, and the driver sits nice and low). I mean... there would actually be enough room to shoehorn a Ferrari V-12 into any one of our cars... and wouldn't that be cool?

But yeah - I would definitely like to see more coverage of our models... but then again - I think we got it covered right here with all the great folks and awesome rides.

I just wish they would cut it back to the 64-73's like it used to be. Kill off the late model pages--there are other magazines that cover that exclusively, so why does MM have to be all things to all people? They'd have more space for the 71-73's if they did that.

Maybe they might consider splitting off the new stuff and renaming it 'Classic Mustang Monthly.' But, even if they were to do that, I fear that we'd still be overlooked since I remember years ago (1980s-90s) even though Fox-bodies were the 'now,' there were still precious few articles about the new tech. And even then, zero Mustang II coverage, 1 article every 16 months about '71-73s, and the rest was "all '64-70, all the time."

Having a "Classic Mustang Monthly" might get us closer to the ballpark, but I'm pretty sure it would just regress right back to that point. Because after all, if you eliminate all the 'new tech' stuff, that will just leave a lot more room for more Shelby's, vintage drag-racing pics, and 3-page spreads about low-mileage survivors. Maybe Tony Branda might even finally get a second page for his ad after all this time. ;)

Regarding MM...

I read some months back where M&M had merged with one of their sister magazines. I knew something was up as I wasn't receiving one of their magazine and wondered what happened. The editor wrote an article stating they had heard their subscribers making the same point that's been made here; The readership wanted more articles on the Classics. I believe if we did some research, we've seen more articles on 71-73's than in years past...could it be more, you bet. Most of the articles are more pictorial than technical.

I believe our big cars are making a resurgence in the Pony wars. That sentiment is reflected by the number of parts that are available today for our cars. I've owned my 1973 Mach 1 for 17 years and I can certainly attest to that. More venders are producing more pieces than ever. Case in point are the new dash pieces. We no longer have to send them to a Texas Co. to be replated with no guarantee you'll get your pieces back to say nothong of the price. Excluding the Boss 351's and 429cj/scj's, Mach 1's, sport roofs, coupes and even convertibles are very reasonable.

As a side note, if any of you are in Southern CA, I'd like to invite you to the Mustangs by the Bay car show October 3rd on the Embarcadero in San Diego. The show is presented by the SD Mustang Club of San Diego.

Three years ago the club didn't have a class for the 71-73 cars. I was told that rarely any of these cars were entered in the show. If I wanted to show my car I'd have to be in the 69-73 Mach 1 class. Over the next 3 months I campaigned the club for a 71-73 class as these cars were different than the 69-70 cars. I was finally granted a class but had to have 5 cars. Long and the short of it we had 8 cars Thanks to 3 cars coming from Los Angeles. last year we had 5 cars and continue to build on those numbers. The class is for ALL 71-73 cars.

Therefore, please google the show or contact me at [email protected] for details. Show's on the rolling grass in the bay and harbor area, walking to the Gas lamp district of SD...Hope to see you there...Ron

Mustang Monthly is one of the few mags I subscribe to. like barry I am tired of Shelbys. I think they overkill the articales on them. Their tech articles though are great. I have learned a lot from them. I also would like to see a few more articles on the II's. I am restoring my daughters. Well enought ranting.

Jim:p

I'm with Tnfastbk. I still look at Hemmings Muscle cars, and other publications to see if there is anything interesting about 71-73s or 64 Galaxies but rarely see much about the cars I have, so this is the site I'm looking at all the time for info now. My wife says I'm obsessed 'cause I check it so often.

A long time ago I picked up different mustang magazines, I found them all lacking the information I needed. The Internet more then filled the void and the information was free.

For a time I tried out a pay mustang project site that was on the Internet.

The truth is google is more powerful then any information found in a magazine.

A magazine is not going to have a 100 page spread with over 1000 pictures showing a detailed repair. The Internet will, and have room to spare. Factor in forums and access to millions of brains of other people and it is a death nail for the paper media.

I'm in the media industry I see it dieing. Magazines get it, they have allowed full access to archive and allow online only subscriptions.

Throw in the kindle and you can see what the evolution will be.

I think articles of the future will be more blog like with each month adding to the last entry, and giving you complete access from beginning to end. Having Internet content would allow for articles of any length in as much detail as you can stomach.

Look at this web sites wiki area it is in its infancy but already full of articles, imagine if rocket charged a 5$ a month fee for access and hired professional writers. We would have a 71-73 car mag instantly. I miss magazines but I don't miss all the space they take up today you can pack 50 years of publications on a thumb drive and have room for more.

I give up on MM.Sometimes I receive it sometimes I wouldn't.A lot better info here.And you can find out what you need quick.I would much rather spend my hard earned Money here.And support 71-73mustang.com .Well thats my 2 cents.

Back