Stock Paint 73 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
I'll be painting my 73 mach 1 in a few months.  Right now I'm leaning toward 6D Yellow (is this a stock color for 73?).  My other choice would be 6E Mid Bright Yellow.  

thanks

Bob

rjpohl, the yellow used on the 72-73 Mustang is  6E Medium Bright Yellow. 6D is a lighter yellow that was used on the full size Ford and T-Birds and is close to the Springtime Yellow used on the 65-67 Mustangs.

The 6E Medium Bright Yellow is in between the brighter 71 Grabber Yellow and the lighter 6D Ford/T-Bird Yellow. I'm sure whatever color you choose will look good as yellow is another one of those colors that looks great on our cars.  

I know there are many variables when attempting to transmit/print  color chips but the illustration should give you a close ideal of the difference between the two colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad just had a Mummy look and found my colour code lollerz

Shane

Could my 73 Grande have a special order color?

The car has definitely been painted a different yellow than original 6B Light Yellow Gold
5b3148cb0530147aa7384ef6de5caa04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A special order color would usually have a 6 digit DSO, I believe David (Carolina Mountain) has a black car with a 6 digit DSO due to black not being a stock color in 73. Maybe the tables on the site are missing this color?

6B is Medium Goldenrod, not shown in the '73 options book. Might have been a special order or an early availability only color. Do you have a Marti report for your car?

mjseakan, Hemikiller's response is closer to what actually happened.  6B (Light Yellow Gold) is a RPO (regular production option) that was offered from the start of 73 production until it was replaced in 1/73 by 6C Medium Yellow Gold. Although it was also offered on Maverick, Pinto and Thunderbird, it does not show on most printed matter that you can find now.

As Jason stated, if it had been a DSO special order there would have been four digits after the 12, which is the ordering district, Buffalo. The section on your door label where the paint code is listed would also be blank.

Adding to the confusion is that most of these colors went by two names. There is the Vehicle Division promotional name which named the color when originally designed. Then when the paint is released for service, the Ford Parts Division gets to put their own name on the paint. So 6B Light Yellow Gold becomes Light Goldenrod and 6C Medium Yellow Gold becomes  Medium Goldenrod. And of course Lincoln/Mercury Division got to use the fancy names so as not to be confused with the commoners who drive Fords !    :D

mjseakan, Hemikiller's response is closer to what actually happened.  6B (Light Yellow Gold) is a RPO (regular production option) that was offered from the start of 73 production until it was replaced in 1/73 by 6C Medium Yellow Gold. Although it was also offered on Maverick, Pinto and Thunderbird, it does not show on most printed matter that you can find now.

As Jason stated, if it had been a DSO special order there would have been four digits after the 12, which is the ordering district, Buffalo. The section on your door label where the paint code is listed would also be blank.

Adding to the confusion is that most of these colors went by two names. There is the Vehicle Division promotional name which named the color when originally designed. Then when the paint is released for service, the Ford Parts Division gets to put their own name on the paint. So 6B Light Yellow Gold becomes Light Goldenrod and 6C Medium Yellow Gold becomes  Medium Goldenrod. And of course Lincoln/Mercury Division got to use the fancy names so as not to be confused with the commoners who drive Fords !    :D

Steve...that 6B Light Yellow Gold sure looks a lot like my 6F Gold Glow?

I have read about the 6 digit DSO number and the blank color slot on the door sticker on several different sites. And I've never seen 6B in any of the literature I've seen online. That's was was confusing to me. 6B being an early availability color makes sense but I would have thought it would have been listed as an option somewhere.

I haven't ordered a Marti report yet. I've thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Two very different colors. The "Glow" colours were a special metallic paint, which include gold, blue and ivy. I knew the original owner of a 73 Q-code convertible that was Ivy Glow w/black interior. Car was very low mileage, absolutely pampered and really did have a "glow" in the right light.

Jeff, some of the colors were pretty close. One of the differences with the extra cost  6F Gold Glow is that it is a metallic color and 6B and C aren't.  Gold Glow was considered a Glamour color and was grouped with the Fire and Moondust colors normally used on T-Birds and Lincolns.

The 6F color looks really good on your vert. I've never owned a Gold Glow Mustang but out of the three Gran Torinos Sports I've owned, two were Gold Glow. The one in the photo is my favorite one with the 429.

The color chips I have are really difficult to photograph with the shiny finish but should give you some ideal of the color differences. With the way the light was reflecting off the surface of the color chips you can see that the 6F chip and the photo of my 6F Torino don't look the same. 

Jeff, some of the colors were pretty close. One of the differences with the extra cost  6F Gold Glow is that it is a metallic color and 6B and C aren't.  Gold Glow was considered a Glamour color and was grouped with the Fire and Moondust colors normally used on T-Birds and Lincolns.

The 6F color looks really good on your vert. I've never owned a Gold Glow Mustang but out of the three Gran Torinos Sports I've owned, two were Gold Glow. The one in the photo is my favorite one with the 429.

The color chips I have are really difficult to photograph with the shiny finish but should give you some ideal of the color differences. With the way the light was reflecting off the surface of the color chips you can see that the 6F chip and the photo of my 6F Torino don't look the same. 

Like the stance of that Torino!

Hey Bob,

I went for warm yellow, didn't like stock just recently.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-SMgg6VT-iPqBS077wlzAHn9YroHwNS9 - sorry there is a lot of myself on the photos, just try to ignore :)

I dont remember the code unfortunately, but if you ask, i will find out.

Ppl luv it!

This night photo, i just left it on the supermarket parking and organised a small carshow looks like....

Hey everyone,

Yes I do have one of the Special Order Paint & Trim 73 Mustangs. You will for sure have a six digit DSO code if your car has a non stock color. Ford would paint a Mustang any color that was used on any of their car lines. They sent the car to the Specialty shop for paint then back to assembly line for assembly. It is around $85.00 to do that. In 71 & 72 if you got a Special color and it was a Mach 1 you would get a chrome bumper due to not having the elastomer additive for the non stock color. In 73 since there were no chrome bumpers you got an Argent front bumper and Argent fillers in front of the rear bumper.

When I was talking with Marti about this a couple years ago that was news to him. I was lucky that there was enough of my build sheet left that you can read in the Remarks section below the normal check boxes it states, "Install Argent Front Bumper". I sent Marti a scan of the build sheet and picture of my unpainted drivers door.

Marti cannot tell you the color your car was originally if it is Special Paint & Trim. He can only tell you that is was and is listed in the options but no color code. He did not get those records and I contacted Ford and the DSO records were not kept.

Here is picture of my 73 original paint vert that is 6E Medium Bright Yellow. I did switch to a black top I thought it looked better than white with the Decor Group.

The picture of the door sticker on the Black 73 and then pictures of another original Black 73 with original paint. Another member bought that car and is restoring it right now.

There are at least three members that have 6 digit DSO cars. Here are the production numbers for each year. Marti did have the production numbers related to interior but not color. There are quite a few One of One cars built with Special Paint. Don't know why more coupes each year?

Mach 1 & Fastback: 82

Coupe: 325

Convertible: 67

Mach 1 & Fastback: 62

Coupe: 227

Convertible: 93

Mach 1 & Fastback: 102

Coupe: 319

Convertible: 277

If you ever see a car with 6 digit DSO it is not just paint related. I can be any addition of something that was not in the option list. There is a web site that lists the Special Order cars as they are located. The first one was in 1965 and was for a full real Leather Interior. It was built for Henry Ford II.

If you find one at least get a picture of the sticker or I.D. plate on the older ones. Could have some extra value to it.

Great post and info David, thanks for sharing. Not sure I like the look of the argent bumper and rear insert though lol.

BTW...what are the round plastic pieces on the side of the black door?

Back