Throttle Cable Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
OK. Recently switched to an Air Gap intake and Quick Fuel carb. The dimensions must be slightly different than the Holley Dominator intake and ProForm carb I was running as now I cannot get to WOT. This is the factory throttle cable with the integrated spring on originally a 2bbl carb. Is there any adjustment to this? I really don't want to go the route of an adjustable bracket as they just don't look that great.

Spring compresses all the way. I have to partly compress it just to attach to the carb thus reducing the amount of travel remaining to the point it reaches full compression before WOT is achieved.

How about building an extension bracket that fits between between the bracket and manifold? That would look better than a universal adjustable one-size fits all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cable isn't adjustable. I had a similar problem and had to put a spacer between the bracket and the cable to move it away from the carb. Eventually fabbed up a proper bracket.

Just an idea... but you can probably get 1/16” + by loosening up the carburetor fasteners and making sure the carb is all the way forward. Do the same with the bracket making sure you have it all the way back. The bracket is just steel and you might be able to give it a little “English” to get it where it needs to be.

Another way I was able to get WOT apart from modifying the pedal pivot point was to attach the throttle cable ball at a point closer to the throttle shaft which will lessen the total cable travel

Mine being a Holley has 3 different holes for attachment so not sure for the Quickfuel?

I didn’t have that problem, but I had to raise the bracket up. I have a Blue Thunder intake manifold and its taller than stock, so I just had to put some spacers under the bracket. I also had to raise the kick down bracket. The return spring was hanging up, so bent it up to clear everything.

Hope you figure it out.

Got same issue when I've installed my sniper and wanted also keep the strong original bracket.

I've made and added a front plate that copied the original bracket front shape and that was enough to get the full travel for my TPS.

As OzCoupe72 said, you could also relocate the ball toward center of the shaft if you do not miss lots of travel distance to reach WOT.

Back