dome light stays on all the time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
My dome light stays on all the time.  Headlight switch is not turned all the way CCW.  I have removed both door switches, not sure is one of them is bad.  Do door switches have to be installed and good for light to go off.  Driver's door switch has 3 wires, passenger door switch has 2 wires.

thanks

Bob

My dome light stays on all the time.  Headlight switch is not turned all the way CCW.  I have removed both door switches, not sure is one of them is bad.  Do door switches have to be installed and good for light to go off.  Driver's door switch has 3 wires, passenger door switch has 2 wires.

thanks

Bob
Only dome light or also maplight? Maybe a bad bulb in the maplight and switch position "ON"

The door switches do not have to be installed, but the plungers have to be depressed for the done light to turn off. If the wires are not connected to the switches the light should not be on, unless they are connected together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll try to track down the wire going to the dome light.  Does it run up the pillar by windshield on driver's side?
No, it's going under the sill scuff plates in the driver door opening and is going up under the sail panel to the roof.

img028 - kopie.jpg

thanks

Bob
The underdash courtesy lights are on the same wire as the dome light.  Do you have power to the courtesy lights all the time?

If you have a map light then you must have the additional harness that plugs into the right 2 pin door switch and changes to 3 pin switch. Without this additional harness the map light will not have power.

I think I'll try to track down the wire going to the dome light.  Does it run up the pillar by windshield on driver's side?
No, it's going under the sill scuff plates in the driver door opening and is going up under the sail panel to the roof.
thanks for the pic and info, I should be able to track it down now.

Bob

i traced the wire like one in eddyw pic, it's a black wire with blue tracer. I also found a connector above light switch with 2 wires (black w/blue tracers, see pic attached). I don't see a place for this to connect. Since it's the same color as wire going to dome light it may have some bearing on the operation.

thanks

Bob

i traced the wire like one in eddyw pic, it's a black wire with blue tracer.  I also found a connector above light switch with 2 wires (black w/blue tracers, see pic attached).  I don't see a place for this to connect.   Since it's the same color as wire going to dome light it may have some bearing on the operation.

thanks

Bob

That black with blue tracer wire plugs into the underdash courtesy light.  If you don't have the courtesy light, the plug should have the same power as dome light.  There is another plug on the right side too.

First, I can't read wiring schematics very well.  I was looking at the wiring for the light switch/dome lights and was hoping someone can help me out.

1.  Should the black/light blue wire coming from light switch be hot only when light switch is turned to far left (dome light)?  

2.  Should light green/yellow wire be hot all the time?  This wire runs from light switch to Left Door Switch.

3.  Should there be lights on the kick panels/or door panels that operate on same circuit as dome light?

I'm guessing that my light switch is defective and always has power to dome light.

thanks

Bob

First, I can't read wiring schematics very well.  I was looking at the wiring for the light switch/dome lights and was hoping someone can help me out.

1.  Should the black/light blue wire coming from light switch be hot only when light switch is turned to far left (dome light)?  

2.  Should light green/yellow wire be hot all the time?  This wire runs from light switch to Left Door Switch.

3.  Should there be lights on the kick panels/or door panels that operate on same circuit as dome light?

I'm guessing that my light switch is defective and always has power to dome light.

thanks

Bob
Hi Bob,

Try another headlight switch, most of the problems are the switch.

Back