Camshaft by Chuck & Mike

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is the camshaft I’m thinking about. George says he believes this is the best all around performance hydraulic flat tappet street cam.

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

Duration @ .50 lift 228/235

Gross valve lift @1.73 rocker arm .580/.585

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

This cam is for my 72 Q code 351 .30 over w/4v 10:1 quench heads, flat top forged pistons, Blue Thunder intake, Quick Fuel 735 HS carb w/vacuum secondaries, stock manifolds, c6 trans & 3.50 trutrac rear gear. This car is driven for go and show. Not a daily driver so I want to be more on the performance side, but I do want it to have good street manners also. So in other words, I want it all! Lol

George penned this for a very similar build to mine, so it should be pretty close. He calls it the Bullet Cobra Jet Cam.

Any thoughts about it would be appreciated. I’m still learning about the Cleveland and open to suggestions.

I’m actually thinking about something close to this grind for a hydraulic roller cam.

John - 72 Q Code

Yes, that should be a good cam for what your intended use is. Should have decent low end, idle, and vacuum. It should work fine with your Q code compression ratio. Your rear-end will put it right in the highway cruise range for it.

The only thing, you'll probably want to get a torque converter with a stall in the 2,200 to 2,500 rpm range.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Yes, that should be a good cam for what your intended use is. Should have decent low end, idle, and vacuum. It should work fine with your Q code compression ratio. Your rear-end will put it right in the highway cruise range for it.

The only thing, you'll probably want to get a torque converter with a stall in the 2,200 to 2,500 rpm range.

Oh, that’s lower than the one I have. Pretty sure the Q codes were 2800-3000 stall?

John - 72 Q Code

Oh, that’s lower than the one I have. Pretty sure the Q codes were 2800-3000 stall?

I was just going to say that as well... q code cars came with 3000 rpm stall converter

Alex

sketch1581443188600.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. It's higher than I thought, I was thinking they were in the 1600 to 1800 range. 2200 to 2400 should be just right for him.

--Albert Einstein

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. It's higher than I thought, I was thinking they were in the 1600 to 1800 range. 2200 to 2400 should be just right for him.

I found a thread by seculf that says stock for 72 is 2850, but I don’t know how to post it from my iPad.

John - 72 Q Code

Higher is OK, just wouldn't want a lower stall speed. It's just desirable to have the stall speed at or a little less than the highway cruise RPM.

--Albert Einstein

I’m running something very similar to that with about .045” less lift.  So far I have managed to lay some rubber in the garage.   About the only suggestion I have is to consider the Beehive valve springs sold by Alex’s Parts if they fit what is suggested for open and closed pressure by the cam grinder.  They will work up to .600 lift.  

If you are curious the similar cousin to that is  made by Howard’s

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

I’m running something very similar to that with about .045” less lift.  So far I have managed to lay some rubber in the garage.   About the only suggestion I have is to consider the Beehive valve springs sold by Alex’s Parts if they fit what is suggested for open and closed pressure by the cam grinder.  They will work up to .600 lift.  

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

Thanks bentworker, I was looking at some Howard’s cams too. I’m definitely getting new spring’s and thanks for the info.

What rockers did you go with?

John - 72 Q Code

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

Thanks bentworker, I was looking at some Howard’s cams too. I’m definitely getting new spring’s and thanks for the info.

howards makes many good cams and i have used many of them.

It does cruise at 3200-3300 @ 65mph with the 3.50 gears.

What size of tires are you running? With a stock size diameter of 25.6" I get 2,760 RPM.

--Albert Einstein

It does cruise at 3200-3300 @ 65mph with the 3.50 gears.

What size of tires are you running? With a stock size diameter of 25.6" I get 2,760 RPM.

Tires are 26” and now that I think about it at 65 I am running more like 2800 ish.

John - 72 Q Code

So this is the camshaft I’m thinking about. George says he believes this is the best all around performance hydraulic flat tappet street cam.

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

This cam is for my 72 Q code 351 .30 over w/4v 10:1 quench heads, flat top forged pistons, Blue Thunder intake, Quick Fuel 735 HS carb w/vacuum secondaries, stock manifolds, c6 trans & 3.50 trutrac rear gear. This car is driven for go and show. Not a daily driver so I want to be more on the performance side, but I do want it to have good street manners also. So in other words, I want it all! Lol

George penned this for a very similar build to mine, so it should be pretty close. He calls it the Bullet Cobra Jet Cam.

Any thoughts about it would be appreciated. I’m still learning about the Cleveland and open to suggestions.

I’m actually thinking about something close to this grind for a hydraulic roller cam.

George has built a lot of very steerable engines and I respect his opinions. However, I see no reason to use a 114 LSA. I think he has other optional specs for what he currently recommends for a street engine. Chuck

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

George has built a lot of very steerable engines and I respect his opinions. However, I see no reason to use a 114 LSA. I think he has other optional specs for what he currently recommends for a street engine. Chuck

So Chuck you’re saying that there is to much LSA? Would really like to hear your recommendation.

I got this from the Pantera web site and he posted this about August of this year. That’s why I figured it was pretty up to date.

John - 72 Q Code

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

So Chuck you’re saying that there is to much LSA? Would really like to hear your recommendation.

I got this from the Pantera web site and he posted this about August of this year. That’s why I figured it was pretty up to date.

114 lsa is perfectly fine for some apps. It all depends on the engine and trans and gears and type of performance desired and the other aspects of the cam etc.

exactly what heads do you have?

do you have a high stall converter?

do you want a smooth idle or do you want it to have a little lope?

do you often drive long distances at 65 mph or more?

do you want signal light to signal light performance?

114 lsa is perfectly fine for some apps. It all depends on the engine and trans and gears and type of performance desired and the other aspects of the cam etc.

exactly what heads do you have?

do you have a high stall converter?

do you want a smooth idle or do you want it to have a little lope?

do you often drive long distances at 65 mph or more?

do you want signal light to signal light performance?

do you want it to have strong bottom end or do you want to be able to rev it 6000 rpm?

Are you going to keep the stock exhaust manifolds?

what mufflers do you have?

Mystery 12 year old 1.732:1 roller rockers.

I ran these locators with the Alex's beehive springs.  PAC PAC-S113. Turned out pretty clean and I got the spring pressure down to where my lifters and cam have some sort of chance of longevity.

exactly what heads do you have?  I have 71 closed chamber heads. 66cc 10:1 trying to keep dynamic at 7.7:1and having them redone with normal good stuff

do you have a high stall converter? Yes

do you want a smooth idle or do you want it to have a little lope? Some lope

do you often drive long distances at 65 mph or more? Not often, but I do want to be able to do some short trips.

do you want signal light to signal light performance? Yes, I’m doing more of this than the freeway.

do you want it to have strong bottom end or do you want to be able to rev it 6000 rpm? Well it should do both

Are you going to keep the stock exhaust manifolds?  This is a great question. I have kept the stock ones on. Didn’t want to deal with the extra heat and less ground clearance, but it would probably help with some hp to change 

what mufflers do you have? I have sonic turbos. I also have the stock h pipe 

Thanks Barnett!

John - 72 Q Code

I'd run with George's recommendation. The 351C-4V engine is unique in how the camshaft needs to be spec'd out. Screw with the LSA and you're going to affect the low-end performance and tractability. He's adamant about the 114 LSA. You're going to have a lope with his specs, so I'd let it be.Nobody has dropped more $$$$ and time into getting the 4V Cleveland to work on the street than the Pantera guys.

If you want a very direct answer, you can email him with what you're running and he'll help you out. I've run the A341 Motorsport cam (214/224, .510/.536) that he talks about in his articles, and it behaved just as described. It also gave up the ghost exactly where he said it would. That's a very good street cam, but it's done at 5600. I tried everything I could to get that cam to rev higher, but it just won't.

• Like 1

I'd run with George's recommendation. The 351C-4V engine is unique in how the camshaft needs to be spec'd out. Screw with the LSA and you're going to affect the low-end performance and tractability. He's adamant about the 114 LSA. You're going to have a lope with his specs, so I'd let it be.Nobody has dropped more $$$$ and time into getting the 4V Cleveland to work on the street than the Pantera guys.

If you want a very direct answer, you can email him with what you're running and he'll help you out. I've run the A341 Motorsport cam (214/224, .510/.536) that he talks about in his articles, and it behaved just as described. It also gave up the ghost exactly where he said it would. That's a very good street cam, but it's done at 5600. I tried everything I could to get that cam to rev higher, but it just won't.

Thanks hemikiller, I have read a lot of his stuff and he is very adamant about the 114 LSA. It’s got some pretty good lift too, but not to much. The way it sounds it will do everything he says and it’s just what I’m looking for. And it’s good to know that someone tried one of his specs and to hear what it did. Thanks again.

I still waiting to hear back from machine shop and get my engine specs finalized, but I’m sure they be able to get me to normal, other than the overbore, so I can run pump gas. 

Maybe I will email him once I get my engine measurements confirmed. Be curious to see what he says.

John - 72 Q Code