Camshaft by Chuck & Mike

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has tried the custom cam grind recommended by George Pence? I’m having my motor rebuilt and I want to try this and most of his mods to make the engine more reliable. Thanks!

So this is the camshaft I’m thinking about. George says he believes this is the best all around performance hydraulic flat tappet street cam.

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

Duration @ .50 lift 228/235

Gross valve lift @1.73 rocker arm .580/.585

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

This cam is for my 72 Q code 351 .30 over w/4v 10:1 quench heads, flat top forged pistons, Blue Thunder intake, Quick Fuel 735 HS carb w/vacuum secondaries, stock manifolds, c6 trans & 3.50 trutrac rear gear. This car is driven for go and show. Not a daily driver so I want to be more on the performance side, but I do want it to have good street manners also. So in other words, I want it all! Lol

George penned this for a very similar build to mine, so it should be pretty close. He calls it the Bullet Cobra Jet Cam.

Any thoughts about it would be appreciated. I’m still learning about the Cleveland and open to suggestions.

I’m actually thinking about something close to this grind for a hydraulic roller cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that should be a good cam for what your intended use is. Should have decent low end, idle, and vacuum. It should work fine with your Q code compression ratio. Your rear-end will put it right in the highway cruise range for it.

The only thing, you'll probably want to get a torque converter with a stall in the 2,200 to 2,500 rpm range.

Yes, that should be a good cam for what your intended use is. Should have decent low end, idle, and vacuum. It should work fine with your Q code compression ratio. Your rear-end will put it right in the highway cruise range for it.

The only thing, you'll probably want to get a torque converter with a stall in the 2,200 to 2,500 rpm range.
Oh, that’s lower than the one I have. Pretty sure the Q codes were 2800-3000 stall?

Oh, that’s lower than the one I have. Pretty sure the Q codes were 2800-3000 stall?
I was just going to say that as well... q code cars came with 3000 rpm stall converter

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. It's higher than I thought, I was thinking they were in the 1600 to 1800 range. 2200 to 2400 should be just right for him.

I’m running something very similar to that with about .045” less lift.  So far I have managed to lay some rubber in the garage.   About the only suggestion I have is to consider the Beehive valve springs sold by Alex’s Parts if they fit what is suggested for open and closed pressure by the cam grinder.  They will work up to .600 lift.  

If you are curious the similar cousin to that is  made by Howard’s

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

I’m running something very similar to that with about .045” less lift.  So far I have managed to lay some rubber in the garage.   About the only suggestion I have is to consider the Beehive valve springs sold by Alex’s Parts if they fit what is suggested for open and closed pressure by the cam grinder.  They will work up to .600 lift.  

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

Thanks bentworker, I was looking at some Howard’s cams too. I’m definitely getting new spring’s and thanks for the info.

What rockers did you go with?

Valve Lift Intake:

Valve Lift Exhaust:

Duration Intake:

Duration Exhaust:

Duration at 050 Intake:

Duration at 050 Exhaust:

Lobe Separation:

Intake Centerline:

Thanks bentworker, I was looking at some Howard’s cams too. I’m definitely getting new spring’s and thanks for the info.

What rockers did you go with?
howards makes many good cams and i have used many of them.

So this is the camshaft I’m thinking about. George says he believes this is the best all around performance hydraulic flat tappet street cam.

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

This cam is for my 72 Q code 351 .30 over w/4v 10:1 quench heads, flat top forged pistons, Blue Thunder intake, Quick Fuel 735 HS carb w/vacuum secondaries, stock manifolds, c6 trans & 3.50 trutrac rear gear. This car is driven for go and show. Not a daily driver so I want to be more on the performance side, but I do want it to have good street manners also. So in other words, I want it all! Lol

George penned this for a very similar build to mine, so it should be pretty close. He calls it the Bullet Cobra Jet Cam.

Any thoughts about it would be appreciated. I’m still learning about the Cleveland and open to suggestions.

I’m actually thinking about something close to this grind for a hydraulic roller cam.
George has built a lot of very steerable engines and I respect his opinions. However, I see no reason to use a 114 LSA. I think he has other optional specs for what he currently recommends for a street engine. Chuck

Bullet Camshafts

Adv. duration 277/287

ICL 111*

LSA 114*

Seated overlap 54*

George has built a lot of very steerable engines and I respect his opinions. However, I see no reason to use a 114 LSA. I think he has other optional specs for what he currently recommends for a street engine. Chuck
So Chuck you’re saying that there is to much LSA? Would really like to hear your recommendation.

I got this from the Pantera web site and he posted this about August of this year. That’s why I figured it was pretty up to date.

Back