Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bondobax

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Can original shocks be rebuilt and if so ,who can do it?

Is there a reason you would want to try to rebuild the originals? I would imagine the seals are completely shot at this point and I do not think they can be replaced. I did find this youtube video of a guy showing to refill a shock absorber, but I would think if the seals are shot it would just leak out and become soft in a short time.

If original is what you are after for concourse you could always buy new shocks and strip and paint to original color etc.

Still have the original Motorcraft DZ3 front and rear shocks on my '73 convertible (49,999 mi yes, that is the current mileage..). However, the front are not working the way should and i will replace them this winter. I do as noted above, buy aftermarket that look close to the originals and then detail them accordingly... I will keep the old shocks with the car's history moving forward.

1973 vert FR&RR shocks factory original.jpg

Unless they are a must for concours, don't waste your time and money, buy new. I use KYB Gas-A-just on my 71 Mach with no issues.

I have a set of NOS D1ZZ-18124-E still in what's left of the boxes. No idea if they're any good mind you.

I might sell them if anybody is interested. They'd be cheaper than E-Pay!!

PM me if interested.

Geoff.

Back