Roof ram keeps popping off lug

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi all

I have just fitted the new pump and rams to my convertible however I think a bracket is possibly missing.

Car was imported unfinished. Prev owner had roof frame powdercoated so I presumed all the bits were back on.

I came to fit the new rams (supplied with the car) and there seems to only be one lug to fit them to. When I tested the mechanism one ram keeps popping off. I presume there should be a small bracket with a lug to fit in the other hole in the ram to hold it secure but there isn't one. There is a part of the main frame with threaded holes like a bracket should bolt on there. Any suggestions team. 

Also I have a loose frame/bar that must bolt to the frame (I believe it threads through the roof above the back window, but I have no idea of the pivoting fasteners it may need. 

Cheers

Steve

Yes you are missing the mounting bracket which has a pin on one end to fit in the cylinder and a hole in the other that gets bolted to the lever attached to the top frame.

Post a wanted add here in the classifieds or try ebay.

Go to the 11:10 mark in this video and you can kinda sorta see the bracket. Wouldn't be too hard to make if you had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
These assembly diagrams should help....

I think the missing bracket is "532A18" shown on the left/first page.

Thank you guys.

There is one wrecker here in NZ who has recently wrecked a 72 convertible. I have contacted the previous owner re the missing parts (also trying to source the shift lever C4 to gear shifter) and he thinks the guy he paid to strip the car 5 years ago has recently found a box of parts possibly from my car.

Carolina Mustangs. (Sorry wasn't sure of your name) Thanks I will contact you as soon as I know as I am having trouble sourcing the gear shifter in NZ as the wrecked convertible here had an FMX not a C4 so the shifter rod is different.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks 

I can also see the bar that is not attached to my roof frame but cant quite read the number. I think it is 51278 or 5127B so the bolts that fit it to the frame I am not sure what to source. Obviously they are a bolt that is able to allow that bar to pivot. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks 

I can also see the bar that is not attached to my roof frame but cant quite read the number. I think it is 51278 or 5127B so the bolts that fit it to the frame I am not sure what to source. Obviously they are a bolt that is able to allow that bar to pivot. 

Cheers

Steve
If you double click the image it will open the image I hi resolution. The number is 51278. That is the rear bow.

Thanks 

Cheers

Steve
If you double click the image it will open the image I hi resolution. The number is 51278. That is the rear bow.
Cheers I was zooming in on my phone. I'll check when at home and print off on the main computer. I am still not sure what type of fasteners the bow needs

Back