Custom trunks, upholstery...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
Busy thinking on where to go for my 71 interior & trunk that need be refreshed completely, I'd love to "enhance" a bit while at it and replace/mod the cheap plastics, add/make custom parts with noble materials. Especially interested in leather, details that makes our 7173 even cooler.

I was searching the site to find back a very nice trunk, done I think last year, with leather to look at it in details again, but could not find it back..

Found nice threads on the subject tho..

Like these

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-custom-upholstery?highlight=custom

and few more..

I'm sure more leather/carpet/wood/aluminum has been sewed/cut/glued/polished since these were posted.

If some of you have added a personal touch inside or in trunk and would not mind to show/share/explain how it was done.

Please post some picts, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I would use wood. It may be different where you live, but here in Florida with the humidity and 6 months of daily rainfall, that wood would be a mess in no time.

If I was going to do a project like this, I would consider using composite lumber. Its made out of recycled plastic and comes in various sizes. They also have a material used extensively in Boats that is completely impervious to moisture.

Here is an example called White King Starboard.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-white-white-king-starboard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Mrjrp_83gIVCITICh0i3QA9EAQYASABEgKLXfD_BwE#215=219&211=1113

There is also this site on Plastic Lumber and Sheeting used in construction.

https://plasticlumberyard.com/

Either of these would be more suited than wood for such a project. I'm sure they have similar stuff available in Europe.

I don't know if I would use wood.  It may be different where you live, but here in Florida with the humidity and 6 months of daily rainfall, that wood would be a mess in no time.  

If I was going to do a project like this, I would consider using composite lumber.  Its made out of recycled plastic and comes in various sizes.  They also have a material used extensively in Boats that is completely impervious to moisture.

Here is an example called White King Starboard.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-white-white-king-starboard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Mrjrp_83gIVCITICh0i3QA9EAQYASABEgKLXfD_BwE#215=219&211=1113

There is also this site on Plastic Lumber and Sheeting used in construction.

https://plasticlumberyard.com/

Either of these would be more suited than wood for such a project.  I'm sure they have similar stuff available in Europe.
I'm looking around for a theme, color combos etc.. What would need to be fabricated, to be restored/modified etc..

I have not settled for particular materials yet.

I would love to see what others have done in their interior & trunk that goes further than ordering a repop or repaint.

Just looking for inspiration. Nice touches/mods done in trunks, doors, headliner, dashboard, center console, gauges, seats etc...

anything other than original or "enhanced original" (copy of original but in different material).

I've seen nice plastic pilar covers receiving mods to allow small speakers, seen doors covered with carbon fiber etc... 

I'm after that kind of things to make my own sauce, theme, and ensure I have both materials and skills in house ready for the day I'll start work on that part of the project.

Regarding wood

I know for sure that I will make a new steering wheel, as the 71 original one is just as the 73, too big & too thin for me. Chances are pretty high I will reuse wood just like I did for my 73. No problems, is in there since early 90's and trust me the Netherlands aren't famous for their dry weather :)

but for same price, I might fall in love with the work done by someone else and would use another material.

Thats why, I'd love to see picts, I know there are perls out there! ;)

Busy thinking on where to go for my 71 interior & trunk that need be refreshed completely, I'd love to "enhance" a bit while at it and replace/mod the cheap plastics, add/make custom parts with noble materials. Especially interested in leather, details that makes our 7173 even cooler.

I was searching the site to find back a very nice trunk, done I think last year, with leather to look at it in details again, but could not find it back..

Found nice threads on the subject tho..

Like these

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-trunk-makeover-project

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-custom-upholstery?highlight=custom

and few more..

I'm sure more leather/carpet/wood/aluminum has been sewed/cut/glued/polished since these were posted.

If some of you have added a personal touch inside or in trunk and would not mind to show/share/explain how it was done.

Please post some picts, thanks!
Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

I did an aftermarket console with some custom touches. Had the gauge pod carbon fiber plasti dipped.  Led lightning  was a nice touch as well.  I took the factory seat covers ripped them apart and sewed suede in the middle. Did whatever I could to be just a little bit different.

@1973machi

absolutely gorgeous! As I got this door as well, would you mind detail a bit what was done? Your floor looks higher than the metal, is there some kind of structure beneath the carpet? The carpet itself, what kind is it? etc...

@rolandmhall

Looks great! (bookmarked that one) As its a coupe, did you need to make a structure behind the seat to "hang" the carpet there? No visible on the picts, how does it fit to quarters? Or does it stops at the end of floor? On the lid, is it carpet as the floor?

Guys thx for posting these nice examples, that's exactly the kind of stuffs I'd like to see more picts of! Interiors & trunks!

I'm sure there are many more nice touches like these!

I had seen their trunk kit on their site before and was wondering if anyone had installed one. I used their carpet kit inside with the cut pile and was very happy.

@1973machi

absolutely gorgeous! As I got this door as well, would you mind detail a bit what was done? Your floor looks higher than the metal, is there some kind of structure beneath the carpet? The carpet itself, what kind is it? etc...

@rolandmhall

Looks great! (bookmarked that one) As its a coupe, did you need to make a structure behind the seat to "hang" the carpet there? No visible on the picts, how does it fit to quarters? Or does it stops at the end of floor? On the lid, is it carpet as the floor?

Guys thx for posting these nice examples, that's exactly the kind of stuffs I'd like to see more picts of! Interiors & trunks!

The trunk kit was complete. Didn't have to make anything. It does extend all the way to the quarter panel. I'll try to dig up a side pic.  

For the trunk lid I cutout triangles in mdf plastic and wrapped in carpet

Best side view picture of the trunk I have. As you can see it extends past the floor out to the quarter panel

Best side view picture of the trunk I have. As you can see it extends past the floor out to the quarter panel
I see, very nice. What's underneath to support? And the battery, what kind of frame holds it in place?

[Had the gauge pod carbon fiber plasti dipped.]

This is one nice way to modernise and keep the plastic. Never seen this done on these before. Nice touch!

You did the passenger side too?

Actually, Roy (tnfstbk) dipped his in water-slip carbon fiber many years ago.  It's an awesome result, either way.

I wanted the carbon fiber look and simply replaced my wood grain vinyl with 3M Di-Noc black carbon fiber vinyl.  WAY cheaper, too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for the giant, grainy pics - they were taken with my flip phone's camera... in all its 3.0Mp glory.

I also added some 1969-70 Mustang door emblems, just because I always thought they needed to be there.

Very nice. I like the blue stitching on the leather. Very nice touch.
The blue stitching and the suede material blends it into the TMI sport R seat covers and console I have in the interior.

@1973machi

@rolandmhall

The floor is just the factory floor with a sound mat on top of it under the carpet.  The carpet is just some universal cut to fit.  The piece on the door is 1/8" aluminum that was cut out on a friend's plasma table.  I glued a piece of polished stainless steel behind it to have the mustang cutout a mirror.

@1973machi

Looks awesome, the handles to lock are also custom? As you have no rubber on the floor, I assume, you keep it closed all the time.

I have a hardtime figuring the use of that door anyway but I think i'll keep it too, just because its bits silly :)

@Mister 4x4

I recall your picts from another thread, I like the door treatment a lot.

@1973machi

Looks awesome, the handles to lock are also custom? As you have no rubber on the floor, I assume, you keep it closed all the time.

I have a hardtime figuring the use of that door anyway but I think i'll keep it too, just because its bits silly :)

@Mister 4x4

I recall your picts from another thread, I like the door treatment a lot.
No, the lock handles are stock.  There are plasma cut slots in the 1/8" aluminum for them.  Yes, I keep it closed all the time.  Here is a picture of the inside of the door.

Very nice!

Hard to see on the pict, what is it made of? fabric? Made it yourself or?
It is suede material like the trunk and TMI seat covers.  The Mustang tri bar is embroidered in.  I did this on my door panels too.

Back