Grabber Lime Restoration - Update - Brake/Fuel Lines

Motorcity Mustang

Here is the latest update on the Grabber Lime restoration.  Installed pre-bent fuel and brake lines.  Thought it would be easy, but not quite like I expected.  I would say the new lines are pre-bent 90% of the way, and of course the 10% you have to re-bend, you have to uninstall and reinstall more than once to get them correct. 

I also forgot that only the 429CJs have a fuel return line and had to add that in after I installed the fuel line!  Here are some photo's of the lines in the wheel wells and engine compartment.

IMG_5403.jpg.066917e1d7fd671e9a7346e499ab8caf.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg.960449fd6a16468a5b300d8de094ac4a.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg.efd572856c9e08ae58048fdacb3f5cf0.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg.140c2085cbe76fdf23d947c9779d803f.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg.6bcd5d7d0856d917d550578c0df2ddc1.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg.f0ac1a7d67aec6f2c6bf860450039316.jpg

Thanks from MotorCity Mustang!

http://stores.ebay.com/MotorCity-Mustang

Here is the latest update on the Grabber Lime restoration.  Installed pre-bent fuel and brake lines.  Thought it would be easy, but not quite like I expected.  I would say the new lines are pre-bent 90% of the way, and of course the 10% you have to re-bend, you have to uninstall and reinstall more than once to get them correct. 

I also forgot that only the 429CJs have a fuel return line and had to add that in after I installed the fuel line!  Here are some photo's of the lines in the wheel wells and engine compartment.

Great work! It looks perfect. Keep us posted. Chuck

See that "all you had to do was retire!"

Mark

Mark,  You are right, just needed the time!!!!!

This is excellent - I am doing the same work to my '71 convertible.   Where did you get your suspension refinished?

I did the work myself.  I bought new upper and lower control arms, then refinished them in the correct colors.  All the other suspension is original and I beadblasted it to bare metal, then refinished it in the correct colors.

Super special, Mike. I remember seeing this car sitting outside (in pix, some years ago); sure looks different today. Never seen better. Sure wish my Grabber Blue Mach 1 SCJ was Grabber LIME--My favorite color for the 71 models. Thanks for the update.

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for the update and keep them coming please.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

• 4 weeks later...

Your missing only 1 crucial picture that I need for my reference. That is the Brake Line Union on the passenger side inner fender.

If you have a picture of that, it would be helpful, as I am putting in all new stainless lines TODAY. I have the Drivers drop done, passenger drop ready to remove the old one, and I am trying to figure out hot to get to the firewall clips without removing the engine/disassembling the car, lol. Maybe from the bottom side.

"I drank what?" - Socrates

These pictures have been super helpful to me today. Thank you so much for posting them. Those damn line clips are sure no fun to get to in a running driving car, but it helped me alot. I finally got all those cross line clips off from underneath.

Your missing only 1 crucial picture that I need for my reference.  That is the Brake Line Union on the passenger side inner fender.

If you have a picture of that, it would be helpful, as I am putting in all new stainless lines TODAY.  I have the Drivers drop done, passenger drop ready to remove the old one, and I am trying to figure out hot to get to the firewall clips without removing the engine/disassembling the car, lol.  Maybe from the bottom side.

Here is a picture that I took of the emission canister, but it has the brake union in it.  Hope that helps.  

71-Lime105.jpg

is a mitsubishi eclipse a sports car

I can't wait to get that little blue demon can out and blast and paint it.

What is the finish on those hinges?

One observation, if you need teflon tape to stop a brake flare from leaking, the flare is no good. You should never have to use teflon tape on a brake line.

Love the progress. It's looking Amazing.

I can't wait to get that little blue demon can out and blast and paint it.

What is the finish on those hinges?

One observation,  if you need teflon tape to stop a brake flare from leaking, the flare is no good. You should never have to use teflon tape on a brake line.

Love the progress. It's looking Amazing.

On the hinges, I used Cast Blast as the final color.  You are correct on the brass fittings and the teflon.  Habit I guess when I fit steel lines with steel fittings!!!

I've said it before, you're building MY dream car!. Now, if only those lotto numbers would come up, I'd be there, check book in hand.

I can't wait to see it completed and actually, I'd love to come there and see it personally.

Great work.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I've said it before, you're building MY dream car!. Now, if only those lotto numbers would come up, I'd be there, check book in hand.

I can't wait to see it completed and actually, I'd love to come there and see it personally.

Great work.

Geoff.

If your ever in town, please come stop by and visit the garage.   There are plenty of Mustangs/Shelbys to come see.

Great work.

Geoff.

If your ever in town, please come stop by and visit the garage.   There are plenty of Mustangs/Shelbys to come see.

I'd definitely love to do that. Probably won't be for a month or two though. Unfortunately I won't have my check book with me...…. unless!!!!

Thanks for the invite,

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I wish I could come up there.  That Green Machine is one of my Dream Rides as well.  It is going to be fantastic when he is done with it.

I had a feeling it was Cast Blast.  Do you use the Eastwood Stuff?

I was also curious about your fasteners.  Are you using mostly new Fasteners on everything or are you re-plating the original bolts?

Great work.

Geoff.

I'd definitely love to do that. Probably won't be for a month or two though. Unfortunately I won't have my check book with me...…. unless!!!!

Thanks for the invite,

Geoff.

Looking is always free!!!!

IMG-1408.jpg

I wish I could come up there.  That Green Machine is one of my Dream Rides as well.  It is going to be fantastic when he is done with it.

I had a feeling it was Cast Blast.  Do you use the Eastwood Stuff?

I was also curious about your fasteners.  Are you using mostly new Fasteners on everything or are you re-plating the original bolts?

I don't use Eastwood products, but do use specific colored paint (interiors) from the Mustang warehouses.  Satin black I use from O'Reilly's as that seems to be the perfect color (they call it semi-gloss black).  Engine blue is #224 from Duplicolor, Argent is from Mustang warehouses.  Fasteners I am using a combination of new and originals.  I also try and use originals if I can as sometimes the new ones are not exact.  Originals are beadblasted and painted if they are not really nice to begin with.  Even the new ones will discolor over time.  Sometimes you have to mix and match to get the right sheen such as on the tie rods, etc.  Those were a dark machined finish from the factory, so I used semi-gloss to start and then lightly sprayed flat around it to get it to the color I wanted.  Not perfect, but good enough to drive and enjoy it!

Im thinking about getting some plating stuff for this car when I get to the tear down page. I want to do some electrolytic cleaning and black oxide plating on the original bolts using the Caswell Plating kit. Then I wont have to paint the bolts. Then If I have to use new hardware I want to give it the Black Oxide treatment as well so it all matches.