Questionable Valves?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Hello again Gents. I traded some parts for a set of Cleveland Valves and I'm hoping I didn't get hosed. I can't find any info on these Valves. The guy says he got them from a speed shop that built monster Clevors all the time. They are the big 2.19 sets. They were made in India. The Intake actually has a part number on the stem: UDI 2807, but the exhaust has a part number on the package of P-2806. Can anybody tell me if these can be used in a 400hp engine or less. I want to build more of a street cruiser than a race engine this time. So I have been slowly parts collecting. You can tell the machining is not as pretty as the big name valves, but they do look functional. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Did you try to google the part numbers.

India makes some of the engines used in the new Lincolns. So I guess it depends on the materials and quality control they used. Does a magnet stick to the exhaust valve stem and not the head? Some valves have an inconel head and steel stem of course friction welded. The 84 - 86 Mustang SVO had them with no issues. The issue of breaking valves is when you float them bend the head and keep running the break just like bending a coat hanger back and forth. The other was is to jump timing and the valves hit the pistons and of course break after running later. Nothing to do with being a welded valve.

If you cannot find anything out about them I would not use them.

No chance in H E double hockey sticks would I put those in any engine I was building. Critical engine parts, like valves, need to have a known provenance.

While some Indian (and Chinese) companies are capable of producing quality products, without know who actually made them, I would not use them. I have my own tale of woe regarding steel made in India so, I admit prejudice. Chuck

I was just hoping maybe somebody could Identify them either way. Thank you so much guys. On a side not the exhaust tips are magnetic so I believe the tips were fusion welded for hardness and the intakes are fully stainless. But I cannot use them unless I know where they came from, I was just hoping the part numbers would help. But I will not cheap out and ruin a good set of heads!

Ruining the heads would be the least of your worries. Take another look at Hemikiller's pictures, and what happens when a valve head falls off. Camshaft, crankshaft, oil pump, and cylinder walls are destroyed.

I was just hoping maybe somebody could Identify them either way. Thank you so much guys. On a side not the exhaust tips are magnetic so I believe the tips were fusion welded for hardness and the intakes are fully stainless. But I cannot use them unless I know where they came from, I was just hoping the part numbers would help. But I will not cheap out and ruin a good set of heads!
Well they make stainless that is magnetic so there is no easy way to be certain what they are but I wouldn't use them on a high perf build. If they are marginally weak material the increased valve spring pressure in a high perf build will cause them to wear and eventually fail prematurely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they are from India, use them the next time you prepare curry or chutney. Just not in your engine. Sorry... ;)

I found out what brand the valves are. The intakes are made by Di Kar Valve, and I guess the exhaust are made by Precision Engine Products? I have never heard of either of these. Has anybody else? There is precious little about either online. Supposedly they are budget valves bought in bulk?

I found out what brand the valves are. The intakes are made by Di Kar Valve, and I guess the exhaust are made by Precision Engine Products? I have never heard of either of these. Has anybody else? There is precious little about either online. Supposedly they are budget valves bought in bulk?
PEP has been around for a long time. To my knowledge, I've never used any of their products. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/8c5737_72e345f66f834ee49413bce5a9bee5db.pdf

At least you know what they are.

If you are checking the valves with a magnet only 300 series stainless is non magnetic and would not be suitable for a valve that I know of. It would probably a 21-2n or 21-4n series stainless and that is magnetic I believe. Some valves are Stellite, Inconel or even titanium. Here is some reading material on valves. The suggest using copper alloy seats with titanium valves to dissipate the heat. Not saying they are know all see all page just more information. https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2016/03/valves-and-seats/

I had said before that Ford used Inconel exhaust valves in the SVO engines due to being turbo charged. The flathead had stellite valve seats and maybe exhaust valves.

You can spend a fortune of valves but if you float them does not matter what they are made of they will do damage to the engine.

When I was talking with Lee Holman of Holman Moody he was telling me the sodium filled valves like used in the SOHC 427 would actually eat through the valve stem and cause them to break. He warned that if you found a NOS SOHC 427 not to even turn it over with the starter it would break the valves due to the corrosion inside the stem.

Some valves even have the seating surface welded with a different material for wear.

When I was working we had a hard chrome vat in the shop so I hard chromed the valve stems in my flathead engine. There are a bunch of newer coatings that are even better today.

Valves are like some women look good on the outside the just will not hold up, lol.

The inside of an engine is not where you want to be taking chances, cutting corners or saving money.

Period.

I try and avoid buying anything used or rebuilt because of this, it’s impossoble (within practical reason) to verify what you have, you are relying on somebody being honest and unfortunately one can’t rely on that Any longer.

That's how I ended up with the valves, I worked out a trade for something and I told the guy if he had a set of "good" valves I would trade. And he sent me these. He will hear my complaint today because I'm sure he was just pawning them off. What a world we live in!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back