Let me rephrase this i bought a ram air kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from CJ pony but what puzzle's me is that the swing vent are open ?? aren't they suppose to closed?
Mr Batwrangler.  You'll find numerous threads on this topic.  Search " Ram air ".  In general terms, the flappers ( swing vents ) work off the vacuum from the engine.  Not running = no vacuum = flaps open.  Engine on ( normal idle ) = normal vacuum = flaps " sucked " closed.  Mash the pedal = low vacuum = flaps open up for " ram air " effect providing greater air flow into the carb.  The hose you referred to earlier has a T connection in to one of the vacuum lines at the back of the intake manifold but NOT the line to the transmission modulator.  Look for schematics when you do the topic search.

Be careful with the final height of the carb when you put the rubber seal on top.  I have a spacer under the carb of my car and the hood won't close.  I've put a thin strip of adhesive backed foam around the underside of the plenum opening to match the top of the circular air cleaner profile.  Just put the rubber seal back on to look good  when we open it up.

Hope this helps.

PKJ

from CJ pony but what puzzle's me is that the swing vent are open ?? aren't they suppose to closed?
Mr Batwrangler.  You'll find numerous threads on this topic.  Search " Ram air ".  In general terms, the flappers ( swing vents ) work off the vacuum from the engine.  Not running = no vacuum = flaps open.  Engine on ( normal idle ) = normal vacuum = flaps " sucked " closed.  Mash the pedal = low vacuum = flaps open up for " ram air " effect providing greater air flow into the carb.  The hose you referred to earlier has a T connection in to one of the vacuum lines at the back of the intake manifold but NOT the line to the transmission modulator.  Look for schematics when you do the topic search.

Be careful with the final height of the carb when you put the rubber seal on top.  I have a spacer under the carb of my car and the hood won't close.  I've put a thin strip of adhesive backed foam around the underside of the plenum opening to match the top of the circular air cleaner profile.  Just put the rubber seal back on to look good  when we open it up.

Hope this helps.

PKJ                            WOW This is great can't wait to see whats going to happen when I put it on ,I got the hood off and Im working on cleaning and painting the bottom side of the hood now A BIG THanks

In the Ram-Air world, the swing valve you are talking about are the 2 "flappers" that mount in the hood scoops, correct?

The flappers are in a "normally open" position.  So when sitting on the workbench and any time there is NOT vacuum applied to the valve, it should be on the open position.  

So here is the functionality.   When at idle, the flaps should be closed(due to high manifold vacuum)  When you accelerate and the manifold vacuum level drops, the flappers open and allow air to flow to the carb.

Hope that makes sense!

kcmash

Wow, i guess a bunch of others were relying at the same time. Sorry about the redundancy as I didn't see the other posted replies,

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Ram-Air world, the swing valve you are talking about are the 2 "flappers" that mount in the hood scoops, correct?

The flappers are in a "normally open" position.  So when sitting on the workbench and any time there is NOT vacuum applied to the valve, it should be on the open position.  

So here is the functionality.   When at idle, the flaps should be closed(due to high manifold vacuum)  When you accelerate and the manifold vacuum level drops, the flappers open and allow air to flow to the carb.

Hope that makes sense!

kcmash

Wow, i guess a bunch of others were relying at the same time.  Sorry about the redundancy as I didn't see the other posted replies,

No don't worry about that its better that two say the same thing My Plenum from CJ Pony fit great you see in an earlier post some one said to connect the hose from the Plenum to the air filter so 6DUB said to connect it to the manifold but not to the trans modulator line ,,This is Great stuff iv been a Ford guy for 50 years and never knew about this Ram Air system new toy for me....

Hope this helps.

PKJ,,,,,,,,,,,,It sure did help Thanks,,,,,,,

Back