Scott Drake 3 point seat belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Last edited by a moderator:
I have them and they work OK. You end up with a twist thats a little goofy, and they ride high on your neck. But they do work. I just remember the long bracket goes behind the retractor. It's not tough, you will figure it out.

I also have them as well, though they are not Scott Drake Branded, they are made by the same people.

I cant remember w ho actually makes these, but what you want to do is find the manufacturer. They are located in Florida.

They make a set for a van that has a drop link on the part that attaches to the roof. That would be one good way to lower the point on the roof so they are more comfortable.

The installation is pretty simple. It only took me an hour or 2. The hardest part for me was locating the attachment points in the roof. Thanks to some good pictures posted on the site, I managed to find them. Then I had to figure out what size bolts and what thread style they were. They are 3/8" Coarse thread. They thread in about 3/4". After that it was pretty simple.

Even with the standard Roof link it is fine. It would just be more comfortable if it had the drop link.

Here is my thread on the install.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3-point-seat-belt-install-seatbelt-solutions

I also found this helpful,

http://www.andoauto.com/1968-73_Mustang_Seat_Belts.htm

I was under the impression that I could just use all the original mounting points, shoulder and the retractor. So I basically have to drill holes in the floor for the retractor?

yes.  The stock retractor point will not work.

CJP has a video of the process.

I have them as well.  Followed the directions and they work great!

I have them as well.  Followed the directions and they work great!
Do you have any pictures? I would like to see where and how you mounted the retractor. Thanks, Ryan

The mounting brackets for both the retractor and belt anchor are fastened with the same bolt in the factory anchor point.

Sorry about the crappy picture (I just took it in a poorly lit garage with a 3.0MP flip phone camera, along with being an all black interior, and me bent over trying not to aggravate my sciatica), but I think it gets the point across.  This is the passenger side (camera on the transmission tunnel looking toward the passenger side - front seat pushed forward on the left side of the pic).  I mounted the belt-end forward of the retractor so they didn't interfere each other (made the most sense to me).

seat belt mount - passenger side.JPG

Hope this helps.

Dang... someone needs to vacuum. rofl

Oh Man.  DO NOT follow the directions on this video for '71-'73 Mustangs.  That video is a great example that one size does not fit all - you shouldn't use those instructions for the later model cars with factory shoulder belts.  I almost have to say, "Shame on CJPP for not making a separate video the later model cars - how many people have unnecessarily drilled new holes in their later model Mustangs following these directions?"  That, and that headliner is so poorly installed, I had to look again because I thought the car might've been a convertible - what a horrendous job.

Come to think of it, I don't recall having instructions for my kit, either.  I guess it all just made sense to me, or something.

'71-'73 Mustangs have anchors for 3-point belts from the factory, just not in such a tidy package like the Scott Drake system.  The upper anchor was for the shoulder belt that tucked up against the headliner trim piece when not in use, and clicked into the receiver along with the lap belt, which was mounted at the factory lap belt retractor/anchor point on the inner rockers just behind the door openings.

Use the shoulder belt upper anchor for the pivoting piece of the 3-point belt system, and the factory lower anchor points for the retractor & belt anchor, and receiver (transmission tunnel) locations.

I don't know if the 'verts have anchors for shoulder belts in what I would imagine to be the same location as where they have you drilling the first mounting hole, but I would expect that method to work for the 'verts.  But as for the coupes and sportroofs, you won't have to drill any new holes.

I hope this helps someone to not punch any more holes in their '71-'73 Mustangs.

UPDATE: That video is for the $110 No-Name/CJPP 3-point seat belt kit. The Scott Drake 3-point belt kit runs about $185 and are for the later model Mustangs ('68-'73' with factory shoulder belts) - requiring a separate set of mounting hardware for earlier models.

Eric, thanks a bunch for the pictures. That helps out a lot. I kinda thought that was the way they were supposed to be mounted but i kept seeing others doing it differently. I didn’t want to drill holes in my new floor pans. Thanks to everyone else who replied, all input is appreciated. Ryan

Well, all things considered with the kit not coming with instructions - I might have it completely wrong. :whistling:  rofl

I'm pretty sure it's in the way it's supposed to be (kit-wise) because there are no issues with the belt anchor moving or anything of that nature.  The whole thing is solid, and fortunately I haven't had to test it out, but I'm pretty confident it'll work just fine if needed to perform it's main function.

Come to think of it, I remember having to do the exact same thing with a set of 3-points I installed in my '80 Jeep CJ-7, which came with lap belts only.  Other than having to drill holes through the roll bar for the upper shoulder mounts [and weld in some thru-pipe 'bungs' for extra strength - my idea], it was a bolt-in affair.

I was also not dissin' the CJPP video or kit, as much as being disappointed that they made assumptions and gotta wonder how many folks have needlessly drilled more holes in their cars.

'71-'73 Mustangs have anchors for 3-point belts from the factory 
That's excellent news, 

As I give more value to my own protection than the originality of the car. My 71 has a 2-points belts and I want to have 3-points as in my 73. 

I haven't looked at this yet, but would it be naive to think that 73 3-points belts could be installed out of the box with just modifications to the plastics?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, here.

This kit required no modifications to either the car or the kit for installation.  To install the retractor and belt anchors, I believe those plastic covers popped loose and out of the way, then snapped back into place once everything was installed.

So what you guys are saying is, the retractor in the kit CAN mount in the stock location? Along with the end of the belt?

Yes - that's how mine is mounted.  Belt anchor point first (against the inner rocker), then the retractor itself, with the same mounting bolt on each side.  See my picture on the previous page for the finished product (apologies for not taking more pics when I installed the kit - I thought it was one of the more straight-forward installations, actually).  The shape of the belt anchor keeps it wedged firmly against the inner rocker, and the bolt being mounted in a factory reinforced mounting point - the extra hole in the floor is not necessary. 

Above and slightly to the rear of the front edge of the driver & passenger quarter windows are the factory upper shoulder belt anchor points for the pivoting belt loop to be secured.  It's just above the interior door trim and might be hidden under the headliner (if it was replaced and the shoulder belts not reinstalled).

This pic (from an article on Mustang 360 on how to install the headliner), shows the factory upper shoulder belts in-place.  The rear-most mounting point is where the shoulder belt anchored and would droop down from there.  That is where the pivoting belt loop (for lack of better term) is fastened.

p103994_image_large.jpg

This pic shows what I believe to be the actual mounting point itself.  Toward the very top of the pic is a bolt hole that should be the mounting point for the upper shoulder belt anchor.

p104033_image_large.jpg

When I installed my headliner, I made sure to put all of the fasteners I would be needing (including the seat belt anchor bolts) where they were supposed to go, unscrewed maybe a couple of threads.  Then, when it was time to punch the holes into the headliner for the fasteners (like the trim pieces, coat hooks, belt anchors, sun visors, etc.), I could feel them through the headliner and knew exactly where to cut.

I saw your installation pics J, and you did a nice job - it looks very cleanly done.  ::thumb::  But if CJPP would've had the right instructions for '71-'73 owners, it would've saved you a lot of hassle.  The other no-name belt kit they offer for the '68-'73s has a different set of mounting instructions as well.

Hope this helps.

Old post of mine

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-seat-belts

Three post system I have - looks similar to these is a direct bolt in on 71-3's
Click on Don's old thread - way better pics than mine.

In fact, just buy them from Don - he'll make sure you get the right ones and are clear about how to install them. :cool:

A few years ago, I bought a set from NPD that were supposed  to be for the 71-73. The problem I had was not with fitting in the car, that was easy on my 71 Mach 1, but was a, the buckle was the earlier flip open latch, not the button, b, the long bracket at the retractor was formed (bent) the wrong way imo because it caused an ugly twist in the shoulder strap. I actually reversed the belt through the top hangar to remove this, but then had the twist at the lower end. c, the tunnel belt portion was way too short for my seat position, short leg syndrome! What really needed was for the webbing that goes through the long bracket (see pic) to be reversed and that would take all the twist out.

I took them back for a refund and I also challenged the manufacture about the poor construction with no response.

The ones Scott Drake offers seems to have the correct style buckle and tunnel belt, no cover on it, so I might look at this again, but I will for sure find more info on the ones Don is selling. It also seems that the ugly 'twist' is still there though, need to look at that. And yes, a drop link would be a nice option to have included with these belt kits. I'd need one (two) of those for sure.

Geoff.

Back